• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1250 Informal Valve Check Poll

ramble

ohbeemer
Curious about the need for actual valve shim adjustment during your regular service interval. At my 12k, 24k check they were reported to be within spec. Has anyone needed theirs actually adjusted and at what mileage?

1200 valve inspections

Not the shift cam but maybe some peace of mind - I've had four valve inspection performed on my 2018 R1200RT. They've yet to require adjusting. I've kept track of the changes in clearance. All eight valves have become snugger by between .01 and .02 mm over 80,000 km and still well within spec. Thanks to Boxflyer, his videos, and his DIY tools, I'll do the next inspection, and re-shimming if required, myself.

The first 12k service on my RT was performed by a dealer and I cannot confirm what was found, but the 24 k service was done during a Boxflyer Tech Day. Only the L/F intake valve shim was close to the tight end of the limit; still in range, but a new shim was installed to bring the clearance closer to the middle of the range.

I checked the clearances at the 36 k mark and found all were still the same; we documented the valve clearances during the 24 k servcie. Most likely, the dealer found all were within specs and would not have changed anything.

2019 R1250 RT. At the 12K service (performed at dealer) I had one intake and one exhaust valve that needed shims changed. And my cam timing was off.

2017 GSA, 49,000 miles when sold; no adjustments needed. Only one valve moved from the value of the first check. Moved 0.01mm

2017GS (Annie’s), 51,000 miles, no adjustment required

2019 R1250GSA, purchased used with 2,046 miles. I checked valves in anticipation of adding a sidecar, checked again at 13,300 miles during winter maintenance, no adjustment required.

Just checked my '17 R1200RS at 49,000 miles and happy to report that they have not changed at all since new. I checked them at 700 miles just to reassure myself and no changes at any time since then.
I also borrowed the cam timing check tools from a friend and can also report that the cam timing is spot on at 49,000 miles.
Frank

2017 R1200GSA 77,000 miles and still good. I do my checks at 18,000 miles due to no change every time.
2021 R1250RT Checked at 10,000 miles and replaced 6 of 8 shims. 2 were just out and other 4 were at limit, all were high end. Checked again at 30,000 miles and same as last check. This bike now on 18,000 mile interval too.

Bottom line is you don't know what is going on unless you check. Not difficult to do and worth piece of mind. Boxflyer has a Youtube channel and is a great source of information. One of the few people I would trust to work on my bike and probably the only one more meticulous (anal is a synonym) than me. :bow

Curious about the need for actual valve shim adjustment during your regular service interval. At my 12k, 24k check they were reported to be within spec. Has anyone needed theirs actually adjusted and at what mileage?

One exhaust valve shim replaced at 36K miles 2021 R1250RT.

Checked around nine different bikes with this setup and only one exhaust needed adjustment to satisfy owner. It was not quite out of nominal range yet.

'21 GSA - No adjustment needed at 12K, will check again this month at 21K in prep for long ride to Mexico in February.

14 GS. At 24k, two intakes were at min. clearance. I shimmed them to middle of range. All others were at middle of range.

'17 GS new to me at 37,000 miles. Paperwork indicated valves checked at 12K, 24K and 36K with no adjustment noted. Had the valves and cam chain checked at 50,000 miles and all valves were closer to middle of range than end and cam within spec as well.

On topic but a different bike....

I just had the 20k km check done on my Aprilia RSV4. For those who don't know of this bike it's a V4, 200+ hp sport bike. All valves were in spec but at the tighter end of that spec. They were adjusted to the middle of the specification.

Taken in total, I think this thread is telling us that manufacturing design, tolerances and materials are much better than those of the past.

"They sure don't build them like they used to!"

Valve clearance checks

Hi my 2020 RS had the left side checked and adjusted by the dealer at 4k after I complained that it was noisy. At 12k I did a check on both sides and ended up changing 2 shims on the exhaust on the right side left was good.These motors are noisy especially the left side.

I did my valve check at the 12,000 mile service; all within spec. I skipped the valve check at the 24K service. Will do the valve check at the next 36K service and adjust if necessary. I have all the tools, etc., for adjusting valves and aligning cams.

R1250gsa

I do a lot of service on different bikes. I always recommend checking valves and timing at 10,000km. Turns out all but one out if 15 bikes I have done the timing is out and often the cam position sensor. About half the bikes the valves are ouroff spec and need shim adjustment. Both truly improve how smooth the engine runs and it seems to improve powere, seat if pants assessment.

I do a lot of service on different bikes. I always recommend checking valves and timing at 10,000km. Turns out all but one out if 15 bikes I have done the timing is out and often the cam position sensor. About half the bikes the valves are ouroff spec and need shim adjustment. Both truly improve how smooth the engine runs and it seems to improve powere, seat if pants assessment.

Good info. :thumb

Back