• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

05 1150R. Is it normal for the center stand to stick up like this?

Pasta_Mouse

It gets in the way when I'm trying to do the shifty thing. I have the snubber pad on the stand but it doesn't seem like it should be sticking above the foot peg. The contract for the pad on the catalytic has a hole in it as if there should be one there?? I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20221008_174934952.jpg
    PXL_20221008_174934952.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 150
No, not normal. I can't be certain but you may have the wrong stand for that bike. Are those the original pegs or are they rearsets? Or perhaps the stand is improperly mounted. How long have you owned this motorcycle?

Last edited:
Ours looks the same

B2959959-0CD5-4A89-AC68-82025A59044E.jpeg

D7B15424-5907-4E7F-BA6B-5489CE80E30F.jpeg

I don’t ride this bike often and H has never said anything. I do vaguely recall I have to angle foot out more or it rubs boot

I sold my R1150R, but I do remember that it took precision with the toe of my boot to gingerly lower the center stand to below the foot peg before really engaging the stand with the bottom of by boot.

I sold my R1150R, but I do remember that it took precision with the toe of my boot to gingerly lower the center stand to below the foot peg before really engaging the stand with the bottom of by boot.

I do recall when the need arises,not often, that wedging big boot in there is a booger on this bike and always seem to look for something wrong :banghead
Another reason to just keep on sidestand :lol

Ours looks the same

View attachment 89992

View attachment 89993

I don’t ride this bike often and H has never said anything. I do vaguely recall I have to angle foot out more or it rubs boot

Yup, looks like mine. I don't know if it's because I'm a little guy or how I sit (normally) but I don't know why other folks haven't said something about this. Sometimes I've pushed it down under my foot for better upshifting.
I've thought about buying that shifter extender from Wunderlich and or shortening the center stand step to just below the surface of the peg. There's a section that can be shortened and keep the step in the same spot, just lower. And maybe widening the step slightly to ease the access. Thoughts?
Thank you for taking the comparison pics BTW.

Y
I've thought about buying that shifter extender from Wunderlich and or shortening the center stand step to just below the surface of the peg. There's a section that can be shortened and keep the step in the same spot, just lower. And maybe widening the step slightly to ease the access. Thoughts?
Thank you for taking the comparison pics BTW.

That part of the stand that sticks upwards by the shifter is a lever arm. Shortening it will reduce the leverage and make putting the bike on the center stand more difficult, or maybe even impossible. My advice would be don't do it.

That part of the stand that sticks upwards by the shifter is a lever arm. Shortening it will reduce the leverage and make putting the bike on the center stand more difficult, or maybe even impossible. My advice would be don't do it.

I thought about that as well. This one isn't bad to put up on the stand. I had a couple bikes where you'd just about crap your pants putting it up. I'll probably try out the shift lever extender first but I also ordered a larger bump stop that's about 1 cm taller. See if that makes a difference. If I do shorten it and find the added effort too high I'll just buy a used replacement. But to add to your point those engineers didn't make that arm that long for no reason....

We had matching R’s for a bit and after sitting on H’s yesterday I recall having the stand bumping the bottom of boot and scraping on some twisty banked turns if I didn’t move my foot away from it. Agree with Paul on not removing/altering the lever .

Back