• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Grumpy Old Men Thread

Take the Grum out of Grumpy

The best pie might be at Julie’s Pie Hole. A relatively secret spot literally touching the WA BDR just west of Selah. It’ll make you forget all your complaints. She’s also been known to provide camping with hot showers and might be willing to trade doing laundry for a good story that she can repeat.
One main rule: ya can’t hit on the boss.

You can't post photos of something like that without sharing the recipe.

Just sayin'.

Have at it: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15994/chocolate-bourbon-pecan-pie/

I like to use a Hudson Distillery cocoa infused bourbon, which really brings the chocolate fumes alongside that sort of corn whiskey sweetness out of the bourbon.

We've won Best in Show at the county fair with this recipe and a couple of firsts in other years.

Enjoy!

Also: I use a traditional crust recipe of 2.5 cups of flour, two sticks of almost frozen butter, cubed, a tsp of salt and enough water to collect all the ingredients into the dough ball. Split, wrap in Saran Wrap, chill till firm, then roll out. Chill 15 or 20 minutes, then fill and bake. No need to pre-bake the shell on this. For a pie like this, I've made it with lard infused with a smidge of bacon grease to give it a little bit of smokiness to balance the bourbon.

Bake until it's evenly risen on top, inserting a toothpick comes out clean. I like to watch for the crust turning golden, and a sort of carmelized web forming on top. It's just the foam as it cooks, but it should be evenly gold when you pull it out. The center will be all inflated, but it'll collapse back down as it cools. I like to let them cool overnight before serving.

I like pie.

Food

I think the food topics should be addressed in another post, grumpy old men post is past it's prime and time to go to something positive, like pie. St.

Pie makes it easier to BE grumpy.

So why do round pizzas come in square boxes...

Because square boxes are cheaper to make (less waste) and easier for pizza shop employees to fold and assemble. It’s not just pizzas—I recently received a new rear tire that had been shipped in…a square box. :)

Not very grumpy today,
DeVern

What is it with you old guys and pie?

I learned to make pie crust 45 years ago, so it's kind of a thing I've done nearly my whole life. Show up at a party in college with a pie and you're not paying for beer. Show up with a kiwi fruit tart when you're 19 and snare the woman of your dreams (true!). Later on, when you have to bring something to a potluck, once you bring a pie, that's all they'll want you to bring from there on out. Show up at work some summer morning with a strawberry rhubarb pie as your weekly status meeting starts and we're all gonna have a better start to our day.

Most folks make terrible, mealy, granular crust and store bought pie crust is utter ****e, so when we find a pie that has an actual flaky crust - one where you eat the WHOLE pie, that's just about as nice as when you roll the throttle on just right on corner exit and just LAUNCH down to the next one.

At least for me. :D

OtherBusinessPie: We like a "two pie dinner". Quiche (egg pie) for dinner and fruit pie for dessert.

Blueberry pie and a cortado works alright for breakfast, too.

Suck it up buttercups!

About a good 1' of snow, -29C, reverse in my snowblower demonstrated what an ignorant POS it can be by leaving teeth in the pan.

Stubborn or stupid because I live here?

Thinking a one way ticket to Mexico might be an adult solution.

Snowblowers can make anyone grumpy, more so when a paper carrier tosses a newspaper in the driveway when it’s snowing, so the next morning it can be swallowed up and snap a shear pin on the snowblower. Ggrrrrrrr! :cry:bluduh

Best,
DeVern

Back