• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Grumpy Old Men Thread

Grump level

My grump level goes up with the level of pain I am having from various health issues. Particularly now my recovering from my latest accident that totaled my RS.

God many times gives us lessons to better us and in my case, I very much lack patience and He is working overtime to teach me to develop it. LOL, I am not healing as fast as I like and my impatience boils over to bad behavior.

The grump level goes up in proportion to how well I can move.

People who know me well, know I don't sit still well and am not a happy camper if I can't ride. It is tough to not be a grumpy old man some days. St.

You would too if you had
a nail in your butt Pooh.

For useless trivia, straight from Winnerpig.

Or Winterpeg, or "damn, at least i get to ride my snowblower!".

Pooh, the bear, not the hockey pucks the deer leave, was actually inspired A.A.Milne on a visit here when he posted for military training.

Therefore, since I know that useless bit of trivia, makes my "pig" or "peg" look damn great and I should complain about the lack of red-head babes in the bar a serious complaint.

But, I can't complain because every red-head babe I meet loves the; "furgruvenehbabe."

I have a couple Canadian BMW bikes and being a metrics country, the speedometers are marked only in kilometres, as are the European models. However, why doesn’t BMW do for Canadians what is done on American Beemers; have both kms and mph markings on their speedometers?

American models have mph as the main markings with kms the secondary speed indicators. Why is the reverse not possible for bikes being exported to Canada? :dunno

We are close neighbours and it is a fact that many of us travel south of the border.

Grumpy Old Paul

I have a couple Canadian BMW bikes and being a metrics country, the speedometers are marked only in kilometres, as are the European models. However, why doesn’t BMW do for Canadians what is done on American Beemers; have both kms and mph markings on their speedometers?

American models have mph as the main markings with kms the secondary speed indicators. Why is the reverse not possible for bikes being exported to Canada? :dunno

We are close neighbours and it is a fact that many of us travel south of the border.

Grumpy Old Paul

It’s a Canadian thing-

Looks like BMW is off the hook on this one. :)

(4) A speedometer shall indicate the speed of the vehicle in kilometres per hour or in kilometres per hour and miles per hour. The unit or units of measurement shall be identified on the speedometer or at a location adjacent to it.

https://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2015/2015-02-11/html/sor-dors24-eng.html

https://tc.canada.ca/en/corporate-s...s/motor-vehicle-safety-regulations-crc-c-1038

Nov 6, 2019 — Speedometers and Odometers. (4) A speedometer shall indicate the speed of the vehicle in kilometres per hour or in kilometres per hour and miles ...

OM

Grumpy Old Paul

Evidently, the Germans consider Canada to be a civilized and advanced society.

Grumpy Old Paul

The flip side of that is that on Canadian BMWs with digital speedometer displays, the speedo can be flipped from km/h to mph and back. On the same models sold in the US, the speedo is locked into mph and can’t be flipped to km/h. So in the matter of speedometers, BMW has managed to disappoint customers on both sides of the border.

Best,
DeVern

The flip side of that is that on Canadian BMWs with digital speedometer displays, the speedo can be flipped from km/h to mph and back. On the same models sold in the US, the speedo is locked into mph and can’t be flipped to km/h. So in the matter of speedometers, BMW has managed to disappoint customers on both sides of the border.

Best,
DeVern

:laugh :laugh :laugh

Having only km/h on the speedo gives us Canadians a built in excuse for why we were performing beyond the expected parameters. "Gee, sorry, I guess I did the conversion wrong officer." FWIW, it worked.

I just remember the conversions for a fw regular speeds. 50 km/h is about 30 mph. 90 is 55 etc etc...

Speedos in Canada have been metric since '78. So what?

When I travel in the US I can either convert speed/distance to Imperial using my brain or I can switch to Imperial on my GPS. I prefer using my brain. I do the same when I fill my tank and want to figure out my fuel consumption. It usually works out to about 4.5l/100km.

For what it's worth, I much prefer metric.

Das Faktory is overlooking an obvious place to reduce the overall parts count by using identical instruments in all places. Let the final consumer make the choice.

Besides, with only one unit of measurement, you might not get the proper fit...
Speedo1.png speedo2.png

I thought this thread was grumpy old men, not dirty old men?

Anyway, on the speedo thing—dual marking on US models is likely a throwback to when we were going to do the sensible thing and switch to metrics, like the rest of the industrialized world. That effort was stymied by the decision to do a phased switchover instead of a clean cut, which meant teaching and learning conversions, which caused a vocal portion of the American public to get their knickers in a giant knot. Hence, no metrification.

What’s interesting is that my US cars with digital instrumentation allow switching between miles and kilometers, yet BMW motorcycles do not. What’s the reasoning--fear of litigation over someone being injured or arrested because they misconfigured a speedo? Or…?

Best,
DeVern

Rode both bikes today. Why was BMW able to put self cancelling turn signals on my '87 K but not on my '98 Oihead? The Oilhead now has an after market cancelling module.

Grumpy Old Paul wondering WHY???

Back