• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Grumpy Old Men Thread

It

If you are sort of like me, it creeped up on me, when I started telling people to turn the music down, I knew then I was a grumpy old man. Now I am even grumpier because I am deaf in one ear and almost in the other. LOL, could be worse. St.

I remember when BMW owners weren't appliance riders and maintained and repaired their own bikes assisted by factory service manuals sold by BMW.

POST SCRIPT

Some have mistaken this post as being targetted at BMW however the real target of this post is the MOA which has shown a dogged unwillingness to represent to BMW the interests of those members for whom this is an important issue.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I remember when BMW owners weren't appliance riders and maintained and repaired their own bikes assisted by factory service manuals sold by BMW.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I remember trying to a read my BMW manual, my Haynes manual and my Clymer manual to decipher which of the disparate torque specifications might be correct and which were bogus. And I remember trying to translate newton meters into foot pounds when I didn't have a nice conversion program on my computer. And I remember trying to read my beam type torque wrench while tightening oil pan capscrews using a mirror on the garage floor.

I still do on our bikes, :dunno

Didn’t take long :banghead

Question asked, answered, and the reality is the industry has changed… no amount of lobbying, here especially, will change business practices short of who you spend your money with. But continue please…

Well now, a brief perusal of this thread tells me that the usual suspects have made good use of it - and that a few members have a sense of humour.

I think I liked dieselyoda's "complaint" best. :laugh

Always look on the bright side of life

I just read a quick bit somewhere that this song is one of the most requested songs to be played at funerals in the UK?

Got to love the Haynes, Clymer and BMW manuals, those writers are experts in making a ten minute repair take two hours because like Paul said, one hour and fifty minutes is spent trying to figure out the correct information.

So in a nod to modern technology I can't begin to count the number of times I have gone to Brook Ream's or Boxer two valve or any of the other people who use the modern technology to document or instruct on repairs.

LOL, even a cranky old guy like me loves technology some times just not on my motorcycles. St.

I remember trying to a read my BMW manual, my Haynes manual and my Clymer manual to decipher which of the disparate torque specifications might be correct and which were bogus. And I remember trying to translate newton meters into foot pounds when I didn't have a nice conversion program on my computer. And I remember trying to read my beam type torque wrench while tightening oil pan capscrews using a mirror on the garage floor.

Careful Paul. You're close to being branded a Grumpy Old Man, and being sent to the corner where you will be forced to sit and think about your transgressions. Worse, you could be forced to drink the Cool-Aid. Remember, if you don’t agree, then you don’t fit in around here.

E.

Being positive has nothing to do with Kool-Aid……… Or at least it shouldn’t.
OM

I believe there is a difference in complaints and sharing personal experiences than the persistent negativity some just can’t control, or won’t. The constant beating of that poor horse is tiring to most. We got it the first ten times.

As a moderator, a volunteer by choice, I just can’t put some on ignore. Part of my role is to read a lot and in moderation, step in on occasion. Some don’t like any of that and want to talk to a manager… so be it but sometimes a look in the mirror , a step back, and maybe a change of direction would benefit more. Has worked for me more so since retiring.

I came to the party later than some here from other brands way before forums.We have more bikes than the average member and work on even more for friends. Having a spouse that was as a rider before we met and owns her own bikes is a great and often a pain being #one on the work list. I’m good with that.
Maintenance on bikes requires money, patience,and time. The older I get, all of those start getting tougher to keep up with. BMW parts are high but generally available so if you want to ride them you pay the price. My former Honda’s, H-D’s, and now current KTM’s are no different with the latter having a smaller dealer network than BMW. All of the bikes I have had since my teens cost a lot to maintain and some point, part of the deal of riding. I never griped about how many bad rotors and burnt rectifiers I have pull and replaced.

Yes, my Airheads are simple but years take a toll so maintenance is even higher at times…especially when you roll one out to ride and have to fiddle with something. I spent so much time helping others that I was not able to play with ours , so I took a big step back to do just that.
I feel bad for folks with one machine with issues takes them off the saddle. Sorry the issue on some newer models happens. It’s not limited to one brand of bike… maybe try something else and maybe not.
Trying to lobby for major corporate change here May get some sympathy and agreement but in the end will change nothing and most of us understand that. Write the parent company, don’t do business with them is your best avenue in spite of how big one thinks this group of owner/riders has any impact other than sales.

There’s my rainy cold day thoughts… looking around the world, there are folks way worse in shape than any of us here… just sayin’
Lost a close riding friend three Mondays ago to a seemingly avoidable risk he took. I skipped a ride the previous week with him to deliver a battery and never will now. I’m still processing it and the few seconds a choice would maybe change the outcome. A very experienced long time rider on familiar roads.
Then news of one of our forum members losing her battle has also weighed on my heart. Getting into those years when it seems to be happening way too often .

OK to be grumpy, just accept things you probably cannot change and roll on or get off.

Back