• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Grumpy Old Men Thread

Rode both bikes today. Why was BMW able to put self cancelling turn signals on my '87 K but not on my '98 Oihead? The Oilhead now has an after market cancelling module.

Grumpy Old Paul wondering WHY???

'87 K bike had electronic speedometer providing signal pulses; the '98 Oilhead had a cable driven speedo, thus lacking such pulses. And the instrument guys didn't know what the ABS guys were doing with electronic pulses.

I just remember the conversions for a fw regular speeds. 50 km/h is about 30 mph. 90 is 55 etc etc...

A086EF3B-FB7D-4885-A93C-3E71BFFCEE4B.jpeg
Me keeping legal pace right after passing a state LEO cruising fifteen UNDER in the left lane :banghead
I waved

31794226-9839-4D98-951B-B61354DAA656.jpeg

Yes, the limit on SH130!

3A3B43F7-012E-4842-A326-1429FC3DBBA2.jpeg

Nowhere close to prior sign!

Had to remind H that meant 65 in Canada more than once :lol

View attachment 90002

Nowhere close to prior sign!

Had to remind H that meant 65 in Canada more than once :lol

Once returning to Canada and leaving the border booth, the speed was posted as 50 on the long ramp leading to the expressway. Couldn't understand why I was flying past all the cars until I realized I had neglected to reset the GPS from miles to kilometres. So I ask, why doesn't Garmin programme their products to change units of measure when crossing borders? My Garmin automatically reminds me that a province or state requires a helmet or not.....but nothing about speed units!

(Just giving BMW grumpiness a break here.) ;)

Grumpy Old Paul

The last time

LOL, the last time I rode in Ontario to Detroit, I carefully calculated the miles per hours I needed to do the appropriate Kilometers per hour. At ten over, the limit the local drivers were passing me like I was standing still. Oh that was exciting, LOL. St.

LOL, the last time I rode in Ontario to Detroit, I carefully calculated the miles per hours I needed to do the appropriate Kilometers per hour. At ten over, the limit the local drivers were passing me like I was standing still. Oh that was exciting, LOL. St.

Gotta go with the flow, Steve.:laugh

• Those modern electronic systems are no good. They'll leave you stranded some day.
  • Best to leave those points and condenser in my R90s. Plus I get to use my dwell meter, like dad taught me.
  • Gee, the bike is not idling good today. Gotta trip planned to Hocking Hills, OH. Oh well, gotta take off.
  • Damn, this thing just doesn't want to idle. I'll take the front cover off (after pulling the battery cable of course) and see what's going on.
  • DAMN, the points are almost closed up. WTH? Oh well, adjusted them back to .016" and it runs like new again. Gee, these points sure are better than any new fangled electronic system.
  • Only gotta 250 mile ride back to Michigan, and with my newly adjusted points, I'm sure glad I don't have a electronic system that's doomed to fail.
  • Man, why is my bike idling so high? Well, I didn't have a timing light with me in Ohio, so I'll pull the front cover off again, Dammit, the rubber point seal thing came off again. Last time I used some 3M glue and really thought I could keep it in place. Sure is fun pulling this front cover off all the time. Hope I don't short out the diode board as I forgot to pull the ground cable this time.
Well, whatta you know. Motorrad Elektrik has a Alpha ignition system with an electronic advance. I guess I can try it. I mean, if it fails, I can always put my points back in. Everyone know those electronic systems are crap but maybe, who knows....it's worth a try.

Update on this grumpy old man rant. Alpha system has been flawless over the last three years. Perfect instant starting, perfect running and idle on this '74 R90s (145k).

I guess I need something new to whine about. "yeah, the last real GS they ever made was a '93 GSPD" Them new Oilhead's are junk......."

Wedgetail

LOL, I just installed the Wedgetail system on my 78RS after running for years with a Dyna. For once the advertising hype is true. Only problem is, I won't be able to give any long time or comments on how reliable the system is as I only had 500 miles on it when I totaled the bike in a stupid accident. LOL, it may live on on someone else's bike as I bought the bike from the insurance company and sold it to my friend who owns an airhead shop.

One of the best things BMW did was get rid of points, it is funny because my cousin's Suzuki had done that five years before BMW. The last time I rode a trip with a bike equipped with points, I ended up on my hands and knees in a hotel parking lot "adjusting" the damn things because they had shifted and the bike was pinging. My cousin on his bike thought that was very funny. St.

I’m :rofl on previous two posts… simple by design but a PITA when least needed! I had Hondas that stayed in adjustment until I messed with them… the /6 had me thinking I was incompetent! Having to fiddle more than I cared to anymore had me go with Alpha. And that dang gasket…grrr
Now if only you could install FI !
The same statements about electric ignition was constant when FI was introduced :lol

We’ve had a week plus of cloudy/drizzle conditions and more coming through the holiday. One of my peeves is folks running w/out headlights, especially in road colored paint jobs or large trucks. I used to flash them and sometimes saw taillights come on in rear view and some satisfaction of maybe saving someone. The last few years it seems more prevalent and I went from trying to be road monitor to mumbling to them , to trying to just ignore and realize folks have no clue how invisible they are. Yesterday’s attempt to enter highway from our neighborhood in foggy drizzle and holiday travelers was a challenge with 70mph cross traffic… and a lot of invisible broadside torpedoes :banghead as I muttered SERENITY to myself.

Simple by design, you can fix it at the side of the road which is good cause you'll probably need to. Meanwhile us technophiles with our whizzy electronics will be enjoying rolling on the miles.

I work on an Air Force Base and with very young kids in their 20's mostly. The other day one of these children asked me when was it that I got old?
That's a good question and didn't quite know how to answer it. I told him I still feel young but I'm grumpy more often than not when I'm around them which makes me seem older than I really am.
I said they'll see if they are lucky enough to hang around as long as I have.

Simple by design, you can fix it at the side of the road which is good cause you'll probably need to. Meanwhile us technophiles with our whizzy electronics will be enjoying rolling on the miles.

But don't try to use your "comm" system or trust the dashes on your TPMS display.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I'm old (medicare recipient) and it made me grumpy.

Traveling on I-24 Tuesday afternoon, not far from Chattanooga, in the RV headed for Florida to visit family. Around Monteagle the truckers wisely slow down, I was doing about 65mph and moved into the passing lane (The left lane) after signaling my intention and passed a semi. As soon as I was past the truck I put my turn signal on to return to the right lane, after checking the mirrors closely. As I moved into the right lane some yo-yo on a GS came around me on the right at a speed that could not have been less than 100mph. The GS was black, the rider was wearing what appeared to be some sort of black silk pants and jacket billowing around him. He disappeared, weaving in and out of traffic without EVER using a turn signal until he was out of sight.

As we exited to I-59 south the traffic on I-24 towards Chattanooga was suddenly slowing down.

It made me grumpy that someone was making enemies for all of us in this manner, and it made me hope that the traffic slowdown was not because this moron and his GS were splattered all over the interstate.

After that incident, I was just generally grumpy that my fellow citizens seem to not have the faintest clue what that lever on the left side of the steering column is for.

Thanks for listening.

Grump out.

Back