• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New member from Davenport, Iowa

Hey, I'm Jasper. I'm 32, have autism, and have just acquired a project 1977 R100S. I got it for free, the guy just wanted his garage space back. It doesn't need much work, both carbs need cleaned and half the left jug needs put together. As far as I know, I have all the parts, but this is new to me. My experience so far has been old UJMs and a couple of Intruders. The deepest I've gone in any engine is removing and reattached the cylinder head of a 1980 GS550E. I don't have a garage, so I do all my work in the backyard (cold weather sucks!). I figured I'd make an introductory post on here before I inundate the forum with stupid questions. I'm currently at work, but I can add more pictures when I'm home. 20221116_194012.jpg20221116_201347.jpg

Welcome zombiepotatosalad! Best of luck with the project. Thanks for posting the pic. Looks like you have a very able assistant to oversee your efforts.

Willkommen Mr Zombie!

Good luck with your Iowan Winter and with your new-2-U Vintage BMW. :thumb Ya can’t argue with a freebie BMW!

My suggestion for a new BMW mechanic is find a couple mates or a club near you for personal over-the-shoulder advice.

We just had a Tech Day here in our Rocket City backyard, but Mrs-HSV was the only person whose Airhead needed attention (fork seals). Our weather was just too cold for the crowd down here on the Tennessee River - even working in our closed garage.

Whilst I was at work elsewhere, she got two local Vintage chums [FB: NAVMC] to stop over and help do most of the work (that I had already begun). Apparently, it’s not too challenging on most of the Airheads... :whistle

You might also investigate a repair manual if one did not come with your purchase!
https://haynes.com/en-us/search?query=1977%20BMW%20R100RS

To my tired olde eyes, your machine ought to be an R100RS....
https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-german-motorcycles/1977-bmw-r100rs/

Have a Happy Thanksgiving - Looks like you’ve got something interesting to be Thankful for.” :ha
Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

Welcome,
I'm down river from you, just outside Fort Madison. I picked up a nonrunning R100RS recently, but not at your price. These are remarkably straightforward bikes.

Willkommen Mr Zombie!

Good luck with your Iowan Winter and with your new-2-U Vintage BMW. :thumb Ya can’t argue with a freebie BMW!

My suggestion for a new BMW mechanic is find a couple mates or a club near you for personal over-the-shoulder advice.

We just had a Tech Day here in our Rocket City backyard, but Mrs-HSV was the only person whose Airhead needed attention (fork seals). Our weather was just too cold for the crowd down here on the Tennessee River - even working in our closed garage.

Whilst I was at work elsewhere, she got two local Vintage chums [FB: NAVMC] to stop over and help do most of the work (that I had already begun). Apparently, it’s not too challenging on most of the Airheads... :whistle

You might also investigate a repair manual if one did not come with your purchase!
https://haynes.com/en-us/search?query=1977%20BMW%20R100RS

To my tired olde eyes, your machine ought to be an R100RS....
https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-german-motorcycles/1977-bmw-r100rs/

Have a Happy Thanksgiving - Looks like you’ve got something interesting to be Thankful for.” :ha
Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

Danke! I may have to hold off riding until the spring, but I'm looking forward to it. I joked to my mom that I'm the first one in our family to own a BMW. Yeah, I might grab a PDF if I can find one. And I think it's an R100S that someone decided to edit. The engine cover says R100S, and the production number is R100S6160173. They decided to make it into a tourer, which is fine by me. I was looking into a windshield for my Intruder. Now that I have a full fairing, I can also add a radio!

Last edited:
Welcome,
I'm down river from you, just outside Fort Madison. I picked up a nonrunning R100RS recently, but not at your price. These are remarkably straightforward bikes.

It's my first non-Japanese bike. I'm understanding it the more I look at it. I just ordered a new valve keeper (as I had 3 of the 4 in the box of parts I was given) and new carburetor float bowl gaskets. Now I just have to wait for all that to arrive from the BMW motorcycle shop in Iowa City.

I had several mid 80's Hondas, these are a whole different thing. In a good way for wrenching.
It looks like I'm about one month ahead of you on bringing a nonrunner back to life. The mechanic at Iowa City is a good guy.

Back