• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil change before service interval

carp

I have a 2016 RT that had 29500 miles on when I bought it. I changed the oil at 30000 but did not have the tools to reset the service interval. I put about 4000 miles on this summer since the service interval and would like to change the oil before winter storage. I now have the tool to reset the interval. Should i reset the service interval before it is actually due or just change the oil again next spring at the interval mileage and change the interval then. Thanks

If I understand you correctly, then you have 34k miles on the bike. You are coming up on 36k which is a 12,000 mile service. That means checking the valve clearance. Do you know when the brakes were last flushed? That is normally done every two years. So we’re it me, I would do a full 12,000 mile service, including, changing the air filter, changing the engine oil & filter, checking valve clearance and adjusting as needed, changing the final drive oil, servicing the brakes and pulling the drive shaft to lube the splines on both ends and checking for the condition of the U- joints.

Do you have copies of the service scheduled for your bike? There should be schedules for 6,000 and 12,000 mile intervals as well as a schedule for time driven actions. The schedules are available on line. If memory serves, Sierra BMW has the on their website.

Last edited:
Carp:

First of all, congratulations on your new (to you) scoot. I hope you enjoy your '16 as much as I do my '18RT. My thoughts:

1. I would change the oil now so your baby hibernates with fresh oil protecting the internals.

2. Set the service reminder whenever you choose. There's nothing saying you can't reset it now and then again at some time in the future. For example reset it now and then again when the 36,000 mile service is done, even if that's only a couple of thousand miles from now. Your bike = your choice.

Ride long and prosper!

Set the service reminder whenever you choose. There's nothing saying you can't reset it now and then again at some time in the future. For example reset it now and then again when the 36,000 mile service is done, even if that's only a couple of thousand miles from now. Your bike = your choice.
Yes, you can reset the service interval at anytime. Choose the custom service interval and set the mileage and date to whatever you desire.

Yes, you can reset the service interval at anytime. Choose the custom service interval and set the mileage and date to whatever you desire.

Wetheads are limited to 6000 miles/12 months maximum length between services that you can set on the computer. I remember older camheads could be set much higher.
You can reset the service prompt on the computer at any time but the max is 6000/12 months.

Frank

Wetheads are limited to 6000 miles/12 months maximum length between services that you can set on the computer. I remember older camheads could be set much higher.
You can reset the service prompt on the computer at any time but the max is 6000/12 months.

Frank

Using a GS911 I set the service reminder miles to something more than what we'll ride in a year.
Each winter I did this on our 2016 R1200RSs and did the same last winter on our 2022 R1250RSs.

If I understand you correctly, then you have 34k miles on the bike. You are coming up on 36k which is a 12,000 mile service. That means checking the valve clearance. Do you know when the brakes were last flushed? That is normally done every two years. So we’re it me, I would do a full 12,000 mile service, including, changing the air filter, changing the engine oil & filter, checking valve clearance and adjusting as needed, changing the final drive oil, servicing the brakes and pulling the drive shaft to lube the splines on both ends and checking for the condition of the U- joints.

Do you have copies of the service scheduled for your bike? There should be schedules for 6,000 and 12,000 mile intervals as well as a schedule for time driven actions. The schedules are available on line. If memory serves, Sierra BMW has the on their website.

Thanks all for the advice. The previous owner gave me the service records. The dealer performed the services up to the 24000 mark. It included the required maintenance and last value clearance was within tolerance. The 30,000 interval was only oil change if I remember right which I did. I will change the oil soon and perform the the 36K service this winter while I have the time. As I understand the comments if I do a reset it will set the next interval at an odd milage but at 6000 and 12000 mile intervals.
Thanks again to all.

. As I understand the comments if I do a reset it will set the next interval at an odd milage but at 6000 and 12000 mile intervals.
Thanks again to all.

If you don't do a custom reset it will reset it to 6,000 miles from your current mileage.
Actually it will be 10,000 kilometers or 6,200 miles depending if you select kilometers or miles.

Carp. Congratulations on the new to you bike. The attached spreadsheet may help you keep track on the service needs of your bike. All the mileage and time-specific service needs are all displayed on one sheet, making its simple to see what's been done and what's coming up. I can send you the Excel file if you want.

View attachment 2017 R1200RS.pdf

Back