Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MOA the Magazine

MOA the Magazine

I have 40 + years worth. Not ready yet to move them on. Is there a value to them ?

Quote Originally Posted by dougjordan View Post
    I have 40 + years worth. Not ready yet to move them on. Is there a value to them ?
    I’d say not much value if any. They may be desired by *someone* but shipping rates are pretty darn high and magazines are heavy….
    "The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why" -- Mark Twain

Before disposal, contact the BMW MOA office and inquire if their collection is missing any issues. A few years back I got the impression they were missing a few issues because of the Chesterfield flood.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I’d say not much value if any. They may be desired by *someone* but shipping rates are pretty darn high and magazines are heavy….
    Your not kidding they are heavy, 3 tots easy 75 80 pounds a piece.

I chucked 30 years of Car and Driver along with the same number of Road & Track issues a while back. Nobody wants them and now with stuff like the entire Cycle World collection online, why would you bother keeping the paper.

There's a guy on Bring A Trailer trying to offload an entire set of Road & Track; EVERY ISSUE. $1200.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Before disposal, contact the BMW MOA office and inquire if their collection is missing any issues. A few years back I got the impression they were missing a few issues because of the Chesterfield flood.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
    I chucked 30 years of Car and Driver along with the same number of Road & Track issues a while back. Nobody wants them and now with stuff like the entire Cycle World collection online, why would you bother keeping the paper.
    Just out of curiosity, how far back does BMWMOA have digital copies of the magazine? And are they searchable?

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

As far as I know the BMW MOA does not have digital copies, and if they do I am fairly sure they are not yet publicly available.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    As far as I know the BMW MOA does not have digital copies, and if they do I am fairly sure they are not yet publicly available.
    That’s too bad. A searchable digital archive open only to members would probably lead to a lot of closet cleanouts and recycled paper, as well as being useful to members old and new wanting to research info on older machines and other topics of interest.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how far back does BMWMOA have digital copies of the magazine? And are they searchable?

Best,
    DeVern
    Some online editions are available for viewing here: https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/owners_news_2022
    Click on the "More in this section" drop down for years back to 2010.

The older ones are pdf files which can be downloaded, the more recent years are on Issuu and can be read but not downloaded (although that used to be an option).

I am not aware of any searchable index for the Owners News.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    There are several PDF files here that can be opened and searched. I haven't updated Matt Parkhouse's index in some time.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/forumdispl...and-References
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    There used to be one, back when volunteers maintained our web site. It was sort of a clunky way to do it, one still had to have the paper magazines to actually see the content. Scroll way down to see the index.

Edit: kudos for this work go to Jerry Glasow, who was the second to work on this archive. He is still among us, he wrote the Little Giant article about his GS310 in the December 2022 issue of ON.

I can't remember who did this index first, all I remember is my only contribution was to format all the text in Front Page to put this on our web site.
    Last edited by Visian; 12-07-2022 at 02:30 PM.

BMW ON Index; Next Generation Index/Archive

Hi folks,

Jerry Glasow here. Ian Schmeisser sent me a link to this discussion and asked for a copy of the last update of the Index. I've provided it to him and I've attached them here. Note, this version has an updated preamble which removes the copyright and all rights reserved claim. I've also related to Ian that I'm using his request as a nudge to start a project I've been planning for some time. I'm going to create a scanned searchable archive of the reference set of issues I have from the beginning (May ‘71) to the present. All my issues are originals except my May ‘71, Jun ‘71, Jul ‘71, Aug ‘71, Sep ‘71, Oct ‘71, Nov ‘71, Dec ’71, and Jan ‘72 issues are photocopies and I'd like to obtain original copies so my scans are of originals rather than copies. Any help you can provide along those lines would be appreciated. I would not be able to return the issues as the scanning process requires removal of the binding.

S/
    JerryG

BMW MOA Index 2000 Preamble Updated 2022 12 07.pdf
    BMW MOA Index 2000 Preamble Updated 2022 12 07.doc

I have the May 2016 issue and will keep it FOR EVER. I don't dare post a picture...... we don't need that can of worms open again.
    "Whether you think you can...or you think you can't -- you're right"

Quote Originally Posted by AHD43 View Post
    I have the May 2016 issue and will keep it FOR EVER. I don't dare post a picture...... we don't need that can of worms open again.
    I'm tempted to ask....but I'll just assume it's an oil article and I'll fuggetaboutit.
    "The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why" -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by AHD43 View Post

Eddie Plam's wife. Were you in on the FB component of that little dust storm? Rather unfortunate....