• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

iPhone 12 Pro Max Case for 2023 R1250RT

What iPhone 12 Pro Max Case do you use for R1250RT 2023? My current Apple iPhone Leather Case with iPhone does not fit in charging compartment on bike. I have to remove my case for it to fit in compartment.

What iPhone 12 Pro Max Case do you use for R1250RT 2023? My current Apple iPhone Leather Case with iPhone does not fit in charging compartment on bike. I have to remove my case for it to fit in compartment.

I use an OtterBox with a notch cut out for the clippy thing in the compartment. Wireless charging works fine.

Quadlock Mount & Case

I installed a Quadlock mount to the ilium bar risers on my '16 RT. I got the Quadlock iPhone case as well. You could use a generic phone mounting bracket which I did use to put an iPad mini on the same mount. QL also sells a water proof jacket for the iPhone. But, they do not have any solutions for the iPad. I together a mounting setup for the iPad mini using a Waterproof (yet to be tested for its worthiness on a wet ride) case from Amazon and a Universal Quadlock adapter. I still need to play around a little with the positioning & angle. But, it is nice to be able to use the same mount point & system for the phone and iPad. Added bonus is that both use the same USB-C type charger cable. So, I can share that between both devices. In the horizontal mounting, it blocks the view of the left side speedometer dial completely. I can still see the digital speedometer fine. But the engine temp & fuel gauge being hidden is a little bit of a concern.

Post ride impressions of the iPad on handlebar.
-The Quadlock mount is solid. It holds up the iPhone/iPad perfectly with absolutely no vibration.
-Water/Weather worthiness of the Amazon case is yet to be tested.
-I added a sheet of ABS plastic on the inside of the case on the bottom to give it a little rigidity. That seems to help with the rigidity and steadiness of the mount.
-The display on the iPad was OK. Not as bright as a Garmin GPS. The waterproofing film of the case causes a little bit of glare, but not bad enough to case the display to be unusable.
-I have mobile data service on the iPad. So, it helped with streaming music, maps with directions etc.
-I tried a variety of apps during the ride - YouTube, Scenic, Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze etc. While the brightness of the display in the Sun wasn't so bad, reading out the words was a bit difficult while reading. I moved the Text display setting in the iPad settings to show the largest size. Yet, the street names in the map were tiny. I use glasses only for reading (I don't need them to ride/drive/watch TV etc.) and that might have also been a cause.
-The Cardo headset can pair with only 1 device at a time. So, I had to choose the iPad only. This meant that I couldn't answer phone calls while riding. Normally, I don't answer unless it is from YKWMBO :D

Overall, I am very happy with how this has turned out. For local riding, I will probably use just the iPhone. When out on a longer ride/trip, I will probably put the iPad closer to my left hand and use a secondary mount for the phone. Or probably just leave it in the jacket pocket.

One thing about the QL stuff. While they are built really solid and practical, these are to be considered a Buy once, Cry once kind of item. FWIW, they are having a 30% off sale going on now for Black Friday.

i-NdDHmjC-X2.jpg

i-nnDtmFX-X3.jpg

I use an OtterBox with a notch cut out for the clippy thing in the compartment. Wireless charging works fine.

I also have an OtterBox cover…did you just cut the notch in the end of the case without cutting thru the top edge keeping the edge in tact ? If you notch all the way thru the top edge, will the case still stay on the phone?
Any secrets on what to use to make the cut ?

I also have an OtterBox cover…did you just cut the notch in the end of the case without cutting thru the top edge keeping the edge in tact ? If you notch all the way thru the top edge, will the case still stay on the phone?
Any secrets on what to use to make the cut ?

IMG_1766.jpg

I cut through the top edge - can't see the latch being able to clasp the phone otherwise. Use a sharp knife - like an Xacto. I just took the phone out of the case to take the photograph and realized I never finished trimming the bottom of the notch. Anyway - even with this cut out the case stays on tenaciously. The notch could have been smaller, can't recall why I made it so wide.

View attachment 89951

I cut through the top edge - can't see the latch being able to clasp the phone otherwise. Use a sharp knife - like an Xacto. I just took the phone out of the case to take the photograph and realized I never finished trimming the bottom of the notch. Anyway - even with this cut out the case stays on tenaciously. The notch could have been smaller, can't recall why I made it so wide.

Thank you very much, I will give it a try……

Back