• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replace Airhead Starter - 1984 R100

m_stock10506

The starter of my R100 has been dragging for a long while. Cold start was becoming a challenge. So, I opted to buy a replacement and just remove the original Bosch starter. Yes, I could have cleaned it up and rehab'd it, but I chose not to.

I purchased an Enduralast starter from Tom Cutter, an STR1.

I'm posting this just to point out a few "issues" that might pop up if you try to do this. It's a straughtforward job.

When I researched it, I figured it would be: Remove gas tank, disconnect battery, remove front cover, remove top cover, remove air filter, remove starter. It got a little more complicated.

Once I removed all the above pieces, I looked at the old starter and realized that the air box was blocking access to the nuts holding the starter at the rear. So the air box also has to be removed, which means removing the air tubes and removing the connections to the crankcase air recirculation hose.

The right side nylok nut came loose with a thinwall 13 mm socket, but the left side nylok nut is blocked by a lip at the top rear(left) of the gear box, In order to get a socket on to the nut I had to file away about 1/4 inch of aluminum from the casing, A dremel would have made the job quicker but probably messy, At the front, on my '84 R100, the front bracket holding the back of the starter is held on by a 5 mm cap screw, not the big bolt pictured in Brook's video. The cap screw was also holding down a cluster of ground wires. So, after I removed the screw and removed the starter, I had to return the cap screw to it's position to hold down those ground wires again. The old starter wiggled out, electrical wires moved over to the new starter. The Enduralast starter is lighter and more compact than the Bosch. No bracket needed, and the bolts get turned around and thread into the nose of the new starter. I had no problem with fit. No mallet was needed to coax the starter into position, like the Boxer 2 Valve video. The crankcase breather hose connection to the air box is a huge pain. I spent nearly an hour trying to get that back into the hole. I eventually used a small half round file to slightly enlarge the opening.

Once the airbox was back in position and reconnected, everything else went back into place pretty easily. All told, about 5 hours. I can remove and replace the starter on my Oilhead in about 30 minutes.

After, I went for gas, since I ran the tank down for this job. The new starter spins the motor effortlessly.

One last note about Boxer2Valve and Brook's Airhead videos. The "starter" videos that I saw from them were both done on bikes that were in the process of getting rebuilt. Major components were not yet mounted to these bikes. I love their sites and find them very helpful, but you have to be careful when you are doing a maintenance job on a bike with everything in place. You are likely to run into problems that these rebuild videos don't address.

Repair time

LOL, I always get a kick out of watching videos of the BMW factory assembling new bikes in twenty minutes from a pile of parts then when I have to work on the bike it takes hours or days. Five hours to do a starter is about right unless as you say the bike is already in some state of disassembly as in Brook's videos.

The last job I did recently was change a stock windshield on a friend's 82 R100RT, three hours with two of us, getting to the two little center nuts was the pain in the blank.

Bikes are NOT designed to be worked on. They are designed for style first, then for rapid assembly at the cheapest manner possible to be sold for the most money. St.

K75

I have considered the K75 RS in the past. One of my coworkers had one and loved it. Very smooth and reliable plus unlike the K100RS didn't roast important things. St.

You have my sympathy

Good work!

I'm bracing myself for a starter replacement on my R90/6, and after watching B2V I thought the same thing - many jobs are easy when the bike is stripped to the frame! Still, those videos are gold.

I have considered the K75 RS in the past. One of my coworkers had one and loved it. Very smooth and reliable plus unlike the K100RS didn't roast important things. St.
Tfy a K1100LT if tou relly want to cook. Even with a 'johnny blanket' that sucker was HOT.

Good work!

I'm bracing myself for a starter replacement on my R90/6, and after watching B2V I thought the same thing - many jobs are easy when the bike is stripped to the frame! Still, those videos are gold.

Since my bike is a 1984, you may find fewer roadblocks when you work on your /6. You didn't mention the year, but be warned that the early /6 bikes used a starter with an 8 tooth nose. The later /6 and all other later models use a 9 tooth starter. Make sure you check this or use someone (like Tom, Rubber Chicken Racing) that will check your VIN and send you the right part.

Back