Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Relocate MC (Master Cylinder) to Under Triple Tree??

Thanks, Paul! Actually the more original anti-lock brake system would be drum brakes. I'll take my single disk ATE over my R69S drum brake anyday!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by melville View Post
    I just took a stroll out to my shop, where my /6 is sitting with the tank off and I have a spare MC that I could hold up to different spots and I think your best option would be to somehow mount it to the top of the motor, above the diode board. I'd offset it to one side to make access to the reservoir easier.

The aesthetic issue with that is that the MC is no longer hidden and would be an opaque item in the frame. Cafe racers need lots of light passing through them.

Mounting would be the curious bit. The stock MC is so clearly designed to mount to the top of a tube with a hose clamp I'm not sure how you'd redesign the mounting system. If you could figure that out, you'd likely need custom cable and hose, with the cable longer and the hose shorter.

I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Terrific reply. Thank you. Agreed it needs to be offset right to account for a shorter cable and a longer hose. I believe the aesthetics here are a moot point until everything lives again. Form is following function very closely here. Fortunately this bike has tiny bars so maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Wow. Taking the MC under the tank and moving it to the bars? First I don't think the hoses will be long enough. Second the original MC mounts to the upper frame member which has a much larger diameter than the handlebars. So, that's not going to work quite so well. Plus the original MC is fugly to put on the bars. And it's not going to work upside down if that's what you were thinking. You'd need to create some kind of perch or rest for the MC to be mounted to. All that hanging down from the bars is going to takes lots of room and compromise the ability to turn the bars...likely it will run into the tank on right-hand turns.
    No, not the bars, under the frame tube under where it was factory mounted, but above the starter cover. A custom bracket was fabricated and it wass mounted to the 2 relay brackets that are factory welded the the frame tube. not upside down either tube. The relays were mounted elsewhere. Sorry for the confusion.
    Dave Hutton '78 R100S (mfg 7/77), '06 Kawasaki Concours, '82 Suzuki GS1100G, '82 Yamaha Exciter 250, '73 TS125

When I first read, "Relocate MC to Under Tree" I thought the OP had found a new place to park a motorcycle under a tree. Silly me!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    When I first read, "Relocate MC to Under Tree" I thought the OP had found a new place to park a motorcycle under a tree. Silly me!
    You're not the only one? Figured it was a Christmas present.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    You're not the only one? Figured it was a Christmas present.
    Add me to that list. I had mental images of small motorcycles and big trees…
    😊

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Really, DeVern! You even own two Airheads. But I can see that they have handlebar master cylinders so that's probably why you missed it!!
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Really, DeVern! You even own two Airheads. But I can see that they have handlebar master cylinders so that's probably why you missed it!!
    Yes, but Christmas is coming and hope springs eternal!

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Sorry, about Christmas!!! I decided to change the title for future searches. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by andyleonard View Post
    Cafe project needs MC out from under custom tank and owner doesn't want MC on the bars.

wow , rat bike, neither under tank nor on bars. that a tall order !

There is plenty of room between the yokes limited only by engineeringuity , fabrication skills & budget.

if cost was no object, why not fab a master to fit inside the (already hollow) handle bar.

Not something I'd do, but there is space .... a master is just a tube with a lever to actuate it

there certainly are gobbs of slick looking / aftermarket masters to get over the esthetic objections

a cheaper thought; drum brakes

the really olde days chopper crowd ran no-front brake, but not me no way

I really dont see how how a cable perch & lever pivot would be that much leaner & cleaner that a master & reservoir

faced with the demand I'd probably just run a cable to a combined master/caliper unsprung weight be danged

have to say I'm not excited by the prospects but I'd like to see how you yabba dabba do It

flintstone motorcycle - 1 (1).jpeg
    Last edited by gtgt_bangbang; 11-11-2022 at 09:57 PM.