• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Happy to be here!

miketice

Greeting's from Colorado, thanks for the add! just bought my first BMW this summer, a 1600B, love the dang thing! been riding for 50 yrs, and it took me this long to find my way to BMW! Not sure this question is in the right place, so here it goes: my 1600 is burning oil, like, one Qt/1000 miles, just had my 18K service done, everything checked out fine. This oil consumption seems excessive no? I'm hoping it will work itself out and everything will be fine, any thoughts on why this would be happening? Thanks!

Mike

Hola Mike!

My simple reply is, that’s in no way normal (at 18K)! Hope your dealer is competent!
https://bmwofdenver.com/Dealer-Services/Services-Offered

My elderly K-GT uses no oil between services (and these 6-cyl engines get 'The Full Monty' every 18K). :help

If your’s is still under warranty, time to get your documentation sorted out. Get it checked out.

Ciao,
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
Retired USAF from CO Springs.
+ Retired USN from NVA.

Hola Mike!

My simple reply is, that’s in no way normal (at 18K)! Hope your dealer is competent!
https://bmwofdenver.com/Dealer-Services/Services-Offered

My elderly K-GT uses no oil between services (and these 6-cyl engines get 'The Full Monty' every 18K). :help

If your’s is still under warranty, time to get your documentation sorted out. Get it checked out.

Ciao,
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
Retired USAF from CO Springs.
+ Retired USN from NVA.

Thanks, Its not under warranty, but I will reach out to them and see what can be done, it's using oil like there's a hole in the block, very odd!

Greeting's from Colorado, thanks for the add! just bought my first BMW this summer, a 1600B, love the dang thing! been riding for 50 yrs, and it took me this long to find my way to BMW! Not sure this question is in the right place, so here it goes: my 1600 is burning oil, like, one Qt/1000 miles, just had my 18K service done, everything checked out fine. This oil consumption seems excessive no? I'm hoping it will work itself out and everything will be fine, any thoughts on why this would be happening? Thanks!

Mike

Welcome to the forum!
I remember when Chevrolet noted that 1/qt in 1,000 miles was within spec. Sounds like you are the second owner?
You can always try a different oil- switch between regular or synthetic or the other way around. I take it you just need to add oil and it’s not a “fog” machine going down the road? A stuck ring can do that and can sometimes be freed up with time or the addition of a oil additive.
I have had results good enough to recommend Lucas products but there are many. I would just keep an eye on it and run it.
Good luck.
Gary

Back