• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EU Recall K1600GT/GTL/B - Risk of Injury

RadioFlyer

Right2Repair
Production dates:
21.03.2017 - 16.09.2020

Risk type
Injuries
Notifying country
France
Alert number
A12/01513/22

Improper sixth gear sets were installed on gearboxes that were replaced during an earlier workshop intervention. This can lead to excessive wear of the control intervals in the event of prolonged driving at full load in sixth gear. In the event of a malfunction, the gear change would not be performed correctly or two gears may be changed at the same time. The rear wheel may lock and/or the gears may be damaged, increasing the risk of an accident.

https://ec.europa.eu/safety-gate-alerts/screen/webReport/alertDetail/10006911

Production dates:
21.03.2017 - 16.09.2020

Risk type
Injuries
Notifying country
France
Alert number
A12/01513/22

Improper sixth gear sets were installed on gearboxes that were replaced during an earlier workshop intervention. This can lead to excessive wear of the control intervals in the event of prolonged driving at full load in sixth gear. In the event of a malfunction, the gear change would not be performed correctly or two gears may be changed at the same time. The rear wheel may lock and/or the gears may be damaged, increasing the risk of an accident.

https://ec.europa.eu/safety-gate-alerts/screen/webReport/alertDetail/10006911

Daco_4645454.png

If this thing spreads to the US (and I see no reason why it won't) I think I'll trade the bike on something else. I mean, they've already cracked it open once, how much more surgery can it tolerate? I do like the looks of the new ones with the TFT even with all their connectivity issues.

Or maybe this is the European market finally catching up? The US recall #19V692000 was in 2019.

This recall stuff is really getting out of hand. (Along with BMW's grip on quality control) I wonder just how many K1600 transmissions actually failed to initiate the first recall? I suspect it was less than the fingers on one hand.

On the AFMB.BIKE site they have coded this recall as applying to the EU, US and Canada. They also have an article in which a BMW official states that all markets are notified at the same time of a safety-related recall but BMW cannot control when the local authority (e.g. the NHTSA) decides to publish it.

Back