• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best H7 Bulb?

I also decided to move away from Halogens and went the LED route for my 2016 RT. Like migrant, I went with Cyclops, specifically their LED kit for the RTs: https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/BMW-R1200RTR1250RT-LED-headlight-bulb-kit_p_194.html

I can’t speak for the DIY install process because I had the dealer install them for me along with some other work I had them doing on my bike.

Much whiter light than the yellow’ish halogens and like my other motorcycles with OEM LEDs, I notice more vehicles giving me space when I split during my daily commute vs the original halogens. I know it’s anecdotal but I firmly believe I’m more visible with the LEDs than with halogens.

I went with a company that is no longer in biz. Cyclops seems to be the number one choice, I have a couple of riding buddies that have them and are very happy. I chose to remove the entire headlight for installation, it took time but it was an easy job no special words spoken.

" it took time but it was an easy job no special words spoken"

And, more importantly, there is time for at least two beers and a good front end clean up doing it this way. Always look for the silver lining;-)

'nuther new bulb

Installed a new Osram Night Breaker H7 today. Previous bulb (Sylvania Silverstar) only lasted a little over 5 months. I am a real pro at replacing these H7 low beams.

Craydds, Thanks, please keep us posted as to the life span of this bulb. I am now running without the round plastic cavity cap to allow more airflow and hopefully cooler and more life. Will let ya know.

I've had an oem on the 11rt got out on a trip, Sturgis BMW dealer got me in and out in under 30 minutes [ second time I've had them replace bulbs, the first time on the 16RS on a trip a few years ago.

Asked them about updating replacing with LED's, the mechanic that worked on it told me stick with the oem bulbs, they last longer.

OEM bulbs last longer? :laugh
With proper installation and proper voltage applied, LEDs will always out-live filaments.

Sturgis R&R'd my low beam bulb a few years ago (it died in Montana) and they got me in and out very quickly too. Wish they could still sell their "old-style" tee shirts...

OEM bulbs last longer? :laugh
With proper installation and proper voltage applied, LEDs will always out-live filaments.

Sturgis R&R'd my low beam bulb a few years ago (it died in Montana) and they got me in and out very quickly too. Wish they could still sell their "old-style" tee shirts...

That dealership was bought by Matt and Lauren Hensley who own the Indian dealership in Sturgis IIRC.

Absolutely superb service, on short notice while on tour. I was a day out heading from Wyoming to Keystone, called and they said have it there 8am the second day out. They'd get me in and out first that morning. And they did, and that's twice now the same happened and they accommodated in the same way. Keystone to Sturgis is a 50 mile ride up the highway, leaving at 7am we were there at 7:45 in each event.

One of the employees came out and asked what we needed, explained their having me there for the above. "Leave the keys in the bike". 5 minutes later, guys wheeling it into the shop while others are still putting motors outside for the day.

An excellent BMW dealer.

I just replaced my H7 bulb today with another BMW replacement. It works out to about two years between bulb changes. Will be following this thread, because is is a PITA to change.

As a follow-up for this thread, my H-7 went out recently, this time only around 5.5 k miles so rode home on the high beam. The replacement trick is getting easier. Buying a 2 pack this time.

I'll have to check my odometer, if it's getting close to 5k, I better get ready. Gotta hold your mouth right when doing that change-out.

Back