• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sounds Not Good

Had to wait 30 seconds after clicking on the link, then it worked with sound.
My guess is a (real) bad U-Joint. Always louder when operated unloaded.
OM

Came up pretty quick for me. I'd put the bike in neutral and turn the rear wheel by hand...feel or hear anything? I don't think putting in in gear and doing the same thing would be any different other than harder to turn...maybe remove the plugs?

My R1100RT with just shy of 100K miles makes that noise every 30K miles or so.

I got so used to it that if I was on the road and it made that noise, drive'r til she blowed!

Never did, bought used drive shafts and kept on going.

PM me you want to know the source of the shafts I've been buying.

Sounds like unloaded Oilhead driveline. Does it repeat when riding (slowly)
Not ruling out issues, but, they don’t like being on center stand and running in gear.

Noise

Bike does not make noise when riding slowly that I notice, I think I will get another assistant besides my wife and do same test but use rear brake to put some load on driveline.
If that sounds better I will ride enough to get to 100,000 than do planned winter maintenance
Forgot to thank everyone
Thanks David

That's definitely too noisy, something in the rear or the driveshaft is about to go.

Noise

Around 65,000 miles back gateway bmw put a new clutch in other than oil changes nothing done to drive train from clutch back.
I was planning on doing spline lube replacing clutch this winter. I have a 1995 R1100 RS so I have needed parts.

I have another bike I can ride until I get one of the R1100RS’s going

9E822FC4-D180-414C-9016-567AB1376E81.jpg

Thanks again for advice

All 11xx and 1200's will make that noise on the centerstand running in gear.

Its the rattle of the gear dogs and slots in the transmission.
The wheel needs to be under load.
If you have it in gear and move the wheel back and forth by hand you will feel that space between the dogs and slots.

Put the worry beads away and ride it, there is no issue.

FYI:I just calibrated a transmission switch on an '09 RT today and it sounded like it was going to grenade.

Attachments

• 20190106_151641a.jpg
    20190106_151641a.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 78
I’m in that camp, video sound can often sound worse. All our R’s (6) sound awful running unloaded , more so on throttle off in low gear. Some are worse, some under 4K, some over 120K. If driveline is notchy turning wheel in neutral at 90 degree pattern, I would look at driveshaft. If it’s quiet on pavement, I’d ride.

calibrating that gear indicator hurts to listen too :lol

I live and ride my bikes primarily in hot weather. Started a few years ago running 85-140 Hypoid gear oil at my dealers suggestion. Seems to have less noise and shifts much better, even in cold weather down to 35 degrees. Much colder than that I don't know. The dealer suggested that after I had tried a synthetic 70-90 gear oil. That exacerbated the noises and I thought the thing was coming apart.

Back