Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 35% Discount on BMW Parts

Cycle Center of Denton Texas is honoring the deal. Ordered some items to get over the $500 threshold and the the 35% mark and it's a done deal. Just have to wait a little bit for the parts to come in. One major part is in the U.S. so I don't have to wait on the slow boat from Germany on it!

https://www.cyclecenterofdenton.com/

SS
    Yeeha! Stephen
    R1200RS, R1250RT
    "Why eat a Burger when you can have Pie?!" Miss Vicki @ Lost Maples Cafe - Utopia Texas

Cum opus clava fecit nihi
    There is something perverse about BMW charging outrageous prices for parts, as well as having discriminatory pricing between NA and other parts of the world and the MOA exploiting the situation by claiming short-term, limited-scope discounts as a member benefit. It has the appearance of a conflict of interest. Effectively the MOA benefits from the abusive BMW NA pricing policy. Members get a short-lived discount but at the price of paying excessively on an indeterminate basis. BMW carries on confident that its captive club will not object.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
    There is something perverse about BMW charging outrageous prices for parts, as well as having discriminatory pricing between NA and other parts of the world and the MOA exploiting the situation by claiming short-term, limited-scope discounts as a member benefit. It has the appearance of a conflict of interest. Effectively the MOA benefits from the abusive BMW NA pricing policy. Members get a short-lived discount but at the price of paying excessively on an indeterminate basis. BMW carries on confident that its captive club will not object.

This discount is more than the dealer markup. BMW Mottorad is covering the customer discount, NOT MOA, not the dealer. Be glad if your local dealer participates, because this is a LOT of work for your local dealer, in that many of their systems make it hard to process this discount on your paperwork, then they have to submit to BMW NA to recoup the discount they gave you. Some BMW Dealers are refusing to participate, because of the difficulty of these transactions. I wish people could be grateful for these opportunities when they come along.

BMW builds the safest, most technologically advanced motorcycles in the world. Why do people expect no-name motorcycle parts pricing on german engineered parts?

Quote Originally Posted by 310JEN View Post
    This discount is more than the dealer markup. BMW Mottorad is covering the customer discount, NOT MOA, not the dealer. Be glad if your local dealer participates, because this is a LOT of work for your local dealer, in that many of their systems make it hard to process this discount on your paperwork, then they have to submit to BMW NA to recoup the discount they gave you. Some BMW Dealers are refusing to participate, because of the difficulty of these transactions. I wish people could be grateful for these opportunities when they come along.

BMW builds the safest, most technologically advanced motorcycles in the world. Why do people expect no-name motorcycle parts pricing on german engineered parts?
    Ha! You really need to have a close look at the parts on a BMW. Many are sourced from name brand suppliers with factories around the world. Those suppliers supply the exact same parts to other manufacturers. You can purchase those exact same parts from other motorcycle make dealers for a fraction of the cost and/or buy them from parts distributers for even less. Should I mention the $28 small piece of foam to stick in the front brake reservoir on some bikes?

I am not "grateful" for BMW's blatant overpricing, nor should anyone be.

Did you know that the G310 is made by TVS in India and that Loncin in China makes the engines for BMW scooters and the F758/850? The latter engine will sone be used in Loncin's own Voge 900 DS.

And even if a part is actually made by BMW how do you explain that it is possible to buy them in the UK and have them shipped across the Atlantic and still be ahead versus BMW NA pricing?
    Last edited by RadioFlyer; 11-05-2022 at 05:10 PM.

As a person with a Ducati 916 that Ducati pretends doesn't exist and can be tough to source parts for, or as the owner of a Honda VFR that Honda increasingly doesn't have parts for, I don't have much to complain about with BMW parts. I can get them, even for my 55 yo /2.

I'd venture that just about every part you put on a BMW is made by someone other than BMW. The days of Henry Ford taking raw materials in one end of the factory and pushing cars out the other are long ended and a majority of components are manufactured by outside companies and assembled by manufacturers, including entire drivetrains, as you point out.

I have a Boxster and I can buy the Porsche part or I can buy the OEM part which is the same part minus the Porsche logo and about a third of the price. There is no difference between the parts.

You can view parts prices in whatever fashion works best for you, but I'm happy I can always get them. I'll take availability over pricing.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Left Coast Rider

Just curious here...

Judging by the majority of your posts, do you hate everything?

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Just curious here...

Judging by the majority of your posts, do you hate everything?
    I have come to observe that those wishing to rebut my posts, but having no substantive argument available to them, resort to this type of comment and/or innuendo.

As a consumer my job is to judge the quality and price of that which I consume. When I see deficiencies and/or excessive charging I say so. Staying silent only contributes to a bad situation persisting. If you check the conditions necessary for a functioning free market competitive economy you will find that an inherent prerequite is that consumers are informed. BMW owners should avail themselves of the fullest possible information. Some choose not to out of some sense of "loyalty" to the brand. But the brand has no loyalty to the owners - only to the shareholders.

POST SCRIPT

I should have written:
    "I have come to observe that those wishing to rebut my posts, but having no substantive argument available to them, resort to ad hominem comments and/or innuendo.

Ad hominem.jpg

POST POST SCRIPT

The intention or impact of ad hominen attacks is often to have a chilling effect on those who might otherwise post similar or sympathetic comments.
    Last edited by RadioFlyer; 11-05-2022 at 12:27 AM.

Left Coast Rider
    I have come to observe that those wishing to rebut my posts, but having no substantive argument available to them, resort to this type of comment and/or innuendo.
    So I'm not the first one to notice, eh? Just basing my comments on my observations. I'd call that substantive. "If it walks like a duck..."

I would look up the retail prices of the parts online so you have an idea of what they cost. I have receipts from BMW motorcycle parts I have purchased that show a discount but the retail price was raised the amount of the discount & I paid the full retail price thinking I got a discount.
    Dave Selvig
    2009 Red 1300GT
    2004 Black 1200LT
    2000 Canyon Red 1200LT

I use aftermarket repair parts on my BMW and Mercedes vehicles whenever available, usually at considerable savings compared to OEM. For example, a $65 starter is working as well as the $400 OEM, as is the $140 EGR valve compared to the nearly $800 OEM.

Still, I appreciate the 35% MOA member discount as it is significant, and donít remember BMW doing anything like this before. Maybe they are trying to clear inventory for tax purposes? Regardless, this offer could be of considerable benefit to MOA members who donít have the desire or opportunity to use aftermarket repair parts. It is definitely a good thing.
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-

Quote Originally Posted by YeehaStephen View Post
    Cycle Center of Denton Texas is honoring the deal. Ordered some items to get over the $500 threshold and the the 35% mark and it's a done deal. Just have to wait a little bit for the parts to come in. One major part is in the U.S. so I don't have to wait on the slow boat from Germany on it!

https://www.cyclecenterofdenton.com/

SS
    Thank you for following through with your feedback Stephen. Yours and others feedback help us out quite a bit. Iíll be using your report in our upcoming board meeting next weekend.
    R. Reece Mullins 2022 Sport Blue R1250RT (Anja)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100 #1
    BMW MOA President

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Thank you for following through with your feedback Stephen. Yours and others feedback help us out quite a bit. Iíll be using your report in our upcoming board meeting next weekend.
    FYI: the dealer closest to me (Street Cycles in Maine) isn't participating. MaxBMW in NH is participating but said the discount wouldn't apply to a replacement seat since that is a "Comfort" item and is excluded from the program. I asked if the seat fell into the discount BMW NA is offering for gear and apparel and they said no.
    jono 22 BMW R1250RT / 16 C650GT / 16 K1600GT / 14 R1200RT / 08 R1200GS / 04 R1150RS / 90 K75RT / 84 R100RT / 77 Yamaha RD400 / 78 Honda CB550K /
    75 Norton Commando / 92 R100GS / 85 K100RS / 86 Honda VT700C / 76 Honda CB750F / 74 Yamaha RD350 / 73 HD SS350 / 63 HD FLH / 60 Honda Cub

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    . I asked if the seat fell into the discount BMW NA is offering for gear and apparel and they said no.
    Gear is stuff you wear, not a part like the seat.
    Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Gear is stuff you wear, not a part like the seat.
    Yeah I get that - but I don't get that a seat replacement is a "Comfort" part and therefore excluded.
    jono 22 BMW R1250RT / 16 C650GT / 16 K1600GT / 14 R1200RT / 08 R1200GS / 04 R1150RS / 90 K75RT / 84 R100RT / 77 Yamaha RD400 / 78 Honda CB550K /
    75 Norton Commando / 92 R100GS / 85 K100RS / 86 Honda VT700C / 76 Honda CB750F / 74 Yamaha RD350 / 73 HD SS350 / 63 HD FLH / 60 Honda Cub

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Yeah I get that - but I don't get that a seat replacement is a "Comfort" part and therefore excluded.
    I'm surprised a BMW seat falls in the Comfort category
    Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT