• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Think its a keeper

motor4

I need to ‘check under the hood’ though visually it appears my new R18FE was sent to me with the rear shock in ‘shipping mode’ setting…meaning it felt like a hard tail over bumps instead of a HD softail :(

Will adjust the shock today and then will be excited to take her on a ride to feel the difference in rear comfort. I know it is only 3.5” of rear travel so not expecting ultra comfort, just enough to make it ok for the bike it was designed as.

I have say, I am in love with the look of bike with black paint and pen striping. If you get a chance to ride one, ask the dealer to inspect the rear shock setting before you ride it as I read, maybe in days prior, the dealers did not even adjust the rear shock from ‘shipping mode’ before they put them out for demo rides.

The engine is a sweet boxer and enjoying how it feels. Even used the weird roasting rack bmw sells as an Option…aka Leg Rest, I had added. Though ‘yes’, it is strange and not the most safe setup due to time it takes to reposition you feet back to the pegs (not looking to open a discussion on that point thanks though) but on an open road with little traffic I can feel a bit safe using them.

Still in break-in period so no crazy speeds as yet but surprised that I like the stock handlebar layout as much as I do when riding and is easier to handle then I had previously felt during demo rides.

I have a 2019 goldwing tour dct that can fill in for any highway Touring needs and now retired so this new R18 might be my last new bike purchase and at .9 finance rate and price paid the deal was too good to pass up.

Figure it can be a gamble to buy such a big bike. Reminds me of the R1200CLC purchased new back in the day. That one I sold (for better or worse). Feel this R18 is a keeper in my book and a gamble purchase that has paid off :)

Give one a try if you like the look, you may be surprised that it can be a ride you become comfortable owning…like your favorite pair of loafers maybe.

Congratulations on the new ride! When I was looking to get a touring bike to compliment my electric (Energica Ribelle) I looked at the R18 touring version as well as the K1600B Grand America. Since I had an R1200CE around 2000, I was gravitating towards the R18 Touring bike. In the end though I decided not to spend new bike money and picked up a used 2016 R1200RT.

If I find myself in the market for a new tourer, the R18 is definitely towards the top of my list. Again, congratulations on the new ride and I hope you have a ton of happy miles on it!

I need to ‘check under the hood’ though visually it appears my new R18FE was sent to me with the rear shock in ‘shipping mode’ setting…meaning it felt like a hard tail over bumps instead of a HD softail :(

Will adjust the shock today and then will be excited to take her on a ride to feel the difference in rear comfort. I know it is only 3.5” of rear travel so not expecting ultra comfort, just enough to make it ok for the bike it was designed as.

I have say, I am in love with the look of bike with black paint and pen striping. If you get a chance to ride one, ask the dealer to inspect the rear shock setting before you ride it as I read, maybe in days prior, the dealers did not even adjust the rear shock from ‘shipping mode’ before they put them out for demo rides.

The engine is a sweet boxer and enjoying how it feels. Even used the weird roasting rack bmw sells as an Option…aka Leg Rest, I had added. Though ‘yes’, it is strange and not the most safe setup due to time it takes to reposition you feet back to the pegs (not looking to open a discussion on that point thanks though) but on an open road with little traffic I can feel a bit safe using them.

Still in break-in period so no crazy speeds as yet but surprised that I like the stock handlebar layout as much as I do when riding and is easier to handle then I had previously felt during demo rides.

I have a 2019 goldwing tour dct that can fill in for any highway Touring needs and now retired so this new R18 might be my last new bike purchase and at .9 finance rate and price paid the deal was too good to pass up.

Figure it can be a gamble to buy such a big bike. Reminds me of the R1200CLC purchased new back in the day. That one I sold (for better or worse). Feel this R18 is a keeper in my book and a gamble purchase that has paid off :)

Give one a try if you like the look, you may be surprised that it can be a ride you become comfortable owning…like your favorite pair of loafers maybe.

When I got mine last December 2021, first thing I did was adjust the rear preload. With it set correctly, the R18 handles better than any 800lb bike has any right to. I finished the break in miles in the first week as I was off of work (yes I ride in the cold northeast winter), but then January & February was all snow where I live so nothing was ridden. The R18 will finish its first year with just under 4000 miles on the odometer.

I’ve been riding BMW motorcycles for 25 years, but the R18 has renewed my love of riding. I have 3 other BMWs in the fleet, but in the past year, the R18 has gotten the plurality of miles & I wasn’t able to do any overnight trips due to work, so these are all day rides. My GSA is feeling slighted as it was ridden 1000 miles less this year than the R18!

Back