• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW belt buckle?

Anyone ever seen a buckle like this? It caught my eye on Ebay and i bought it for $20. Can't find any more images or info on this. It's solid brass and the ad says 1980.

Attachments

• bmw belt buckle.jpg
    bmw belt buckle.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 225
I remember seeing guys wearing them at rallys back in the day. Always liked them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. I haven't received it yet but if it's solid brass like it says i can polish it nicely. Belt buckles are one of those things that sometimes are bought or given as gifts and stay in a drawer for years. Must have been what happened to this one. Figured it was worth $20.

Years ago, it wasn’t uncommon to find bootleg logo items for sale at local rallies.
BMW legal stepped in in the mid-late 80’s and stopped all that in a very firm way.

Kind of sad when I think back on it …
The sellers never made much on the trinkets and it was a good way to display one’s enthusiasm for the brand.

Last edited:
Years ago, it wasn’t uncommon to find bootleg logo items for sale at local rallies.
BMW legal stepped in in the mid-late 80’s and stopped all that in a very firm way.

Kind of sad when I think back on it …
The sellers never made much on the trinkets and it was fun to display one’s enthusiasm for brand.

I still have one of those "bootleg logo" belt buckles from that era. The vendor made them out of hood emblems from BMW automobiles.

Used to see this stuff at large motorcycle rallies, example Daytona Bike Week. Large venders everywhere selling motorcycle gear. Their were tons of H/D stuff, slim pickings for all other brands.

17D858A7-3D1A-4CA0-97E6-0AD911B32793.jpeg
6BCDF504-E840-4B37-91F3-599D73CD7FE9.jpeg
This belt and buckle is/was available through your local dealer. Not as flashy as the aftermarket.

I still have one of those "bootleg logo" belt buckles from that era. The vendor made them out of hood emblems from BMW automobiles.

Probably OK then if made from a BMW part, but other things often weren’t and BMW shut those vendors down.
Besides logo’ed t-shirts, there were tie tacks, money clips, watches and clocks, flashlights, towels, and even BMW roundel coasters available at some rallies. Those days are long gone.

Now that boxer head buckle is way cool. There must have been a million of these unauthorized winged Harley Davidson belt buckles made in the 70's and 80's before HD cracked down. Of course i have one.

Attachments

• halrey buckle.jpg
    halrey buckle.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 150
Just for future reference, i looked around and found this is an AMINCO brand buckle from 1980. They must have made these with hundreds of different inserts as there are many of them on Ebay. I even bought the wifey one with HONDA wings insert(she has a Shadow). I did not find any with Harley or any more BMW as i figure they got shut down real quick on those names. Seems funny that 1980 doesn't sound that long ago to me, but it was 42 years ago.

Back