• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where can I get my ECU and Motronic reflashed?

PGLaves:

I was under the impression that the ZFE and the ECU were one and the same. When I looked up "ECU" on the web, I was always shown what is marked as ZFE and that is what I have replaced with a used part from France that was marketed as a ECU.
-l-

It is my understanding that the ZFE is the CANBUS controller and that the Motronic is the Engine Control Unit (ECU).

Will the folks that routinely scold me when I erroneously refer to the CANBUS please jump in here.

Last edited:
On R1200 oilheads
Canbus is the communication protocol (Controler Area Network) between the various modules on the bike.
It is transmitted on a 2 wire twisted pair .7mm2 (20awg) wires connected between the modules below:
ZFE - chassis electronics
ABS
BMSK - ECU
EWS - Key ring
DWA - Alarm system
RDC - tire pressure monitor
Instrument cluster

Motronic is the name for the ECU on Oilheads 1100/1150's

Water cooled models use LIN bus (Local Interconnect Network) as the communication protocol

The ST won't have the BBSs, since they use the "idle control device".

Ya know... this kind-of sounds like a throttle cable - there are three of them - or the Bowden assembly may be hanging up, since it seems to work if "rolling" the throttle but not if it's "snapped".

Do these have the plastic pulley on the throttle body? May be cracked or otherwise distorted...?

If it was a plug wire, I don't think the symptom would always happen at the same rpm, or by snapping the throttle.

Last edited:
Back