Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Where can I get my ECU and Motronic reflashed?

Hi there,

I received the ECU from France and installed and test ridden. Indeed... it didn't fix the issue. GSAddict, it looks like my next swing will be at the TPS, thanks for that direction.

I've looked up the part number (1363-1721-456) stamped on my unit and it seems that that part number is the same part as used in several series of BMW cars. They are available from various sources, starting at $17 U.S. (spooky!) One site lists theirs as O.E.M. (though I'm not sure how to confirm that,) made in Germany and sells for less than $40. It certainly looks like the correct part and the tech I chatted with stressed that it was indeed OEM and from Deutschland... I'll report back on the part and whether or not this latest gamble has solved this ongoing conundrum.

Thanks!

-l-

Winter break

Well, I received a new TPS from RMEuropean... it does indeed seem to be the exact same part, though perhaps a 2nd as the BMW logo and other identifiers have been ground off.

20221119_111738.jpg

Installed it and ran the bike... it runs as before, i.e. occasional stumble at idle and complete power loss at full throttle. Damn!

I'm wondering if the Motoronic has any part of how the engine runs or if that's all handled by the ECU. Still would love to get the Motoronic re-flashed just out of principle and to solve the "million mile" output to the instrument cluster.

As it's in the teens and the highway out front is icy, 'think it's time to work on something other than this project for a while as this is making me crazy. Something straight forward, like tire changes are starting to look appealing.

Thank you all for your help.

To be continued...

-l-

Quote Originally Posted by landev View Post

I'm wondering if the Motoronic has any part of how the engine runs or if that's all handled by the ECU.
    -l-
    The Motronic IS the ECU.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Left Coast Rider
    The bike's service history is murky and it's still exhibiting issues with snapping the throttle.
    Couple of silly questions....

I'm not sure about your ST but does it have Big Brass Screws in the throttle bodies? If yes, have you cleaned them. If you don't have these, ignore the question.

What happens if, instead of snapping the throttle, you slowly roll it on? Same result?

I've got a WAG (wild assed guess)....Coil, spark plug wire(s) or spark plug(s).

PGLaves:

I was under the impression that the ZFE and the ECU were one and the same. When I looked up "ECU" on the web, I was always shown what is marked as ZFE and that is what I have replaced with a used part from France that was marketed as a ECU. The part that was on the bike originally looks like it'd been monkeyed with as it had a shop's name and number written on the back in magic marker... hence the suspicion about the part. If the Motoronic contains the ECU, then I'm back to wondering where I can get mine re-imaged.

BC1100S:

I can't quite remember... perhaps there were brass screws, but I may be confusing the ST with my RS (2002) that does indeed have those screws. I've pulled the ST off the lift so that I could move onto another project... the bike's now stuffed between a couple of others in a corner and I can't see the T.B.s unless I pull the side panels off (which I can't reach at the moment.) I was very hesitant to touch any adjustments other than the throttle cable seats after seeing many warnings against doing so.

If I roll on the throttle smoothly (even somewhat aggressively) the bike has no complaints. It really hauls butt... it's just when you snap the throttle (as in passing another vehicle) that it flat out chokes... every time! If I continue to hold the throttle pegged while it's in the "choking" state, it will jerk and complain until I hit (I seem to remember) 4800 RPM, then it suddenly smooths out and flies. I can then snap the throttle above that RPM with no issue. That's what strikes me as so odd... 'seems to me if it were anything "non-electronic" that it would not clear up past a certain RPM. That's what initially lead me to change out the fuel pressure regulator, then (what I thought was) the ECU.

I've changed the plugs and coils, but not the wires.

This all makes my 'lil brain ache!

Thanks for your help!

-l-

PGLaves:

I was under the impression that the ZFE and the ECU were one and the same. When I looked up "ECU" on the web, I was always shown what is marked as ZFE and that is what I have replaced with a used part from France that was marketed as a ECU.
    -l-
    It is my understanding that the ZFE is the CANBUS controller and that the Motronic is the Engine Control Unit (ECU).

Will the folks that routinely scold me when I erroneously refer to the CANBUS please jump in here.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 11-20-2022 at 03:06 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

On R1200 oilheads
    Canbus is the communication protocol (Controler Area Network) between the various modules on the bike.
    It is transmitted on a 2 wire twisted pair .7mm2 (20awg) wires connected between the modules below:
    ZFE - chassis electronics
    ABS
    BMSK - ECU
    EWS - Key ring
    DWA - Alarm system
    RDC - tire pressure monitor
    Instrument cluster

Motronic is the name for the ECU on Oilheads 1100/1150's

Water cooled models use LIN bus (Local Interconnect Network) as the communication protocol
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Cum opus clava fecit nihi
    Just to mention that the LC bikes use both the CAN and the LIN-buses. The LIN-bus is only used for functions requiring low speeds. LIN is less expensive than CAN.

Here's a link to a not too technical article on the two protocols.

https://resources.altium.com/p/seria...ls-can-and-lin
    Last edited by RadioFlyer; 11-27-2022 at 09:59 PM.

The ST won't have the BBSs, since they use the "idle control device".

Ya know... this kind-of sounds like a throttle cable - there are three of them - or the Bowden assembly may be hanging up, since it seems to work if "rolling" the throttle but not if it's "snapped".

Do these have the plastic pulley on the throttle body? May be cracked or otherwise distorted...?

If it was a plug wire, I don't think the symptom would always happen at the same rpm, or by snapping the throttle.
    Last edited by Pauls1150; 11-20-2022 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added plastic pulley question