• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where can I get my ECU and Motronic reflashed?

landev

I've been chasing my tail with my 2005 ST project bike and believe that the issue might be solved by re-flashing the ECU. The bike's service history is murky and it's still exhibiting issues with snapping the throttle. I've tried replacing all filters, balancing throttle bodies, replacing coils, etc.. Today I replaced the fuel pressure regulator. I followed the Clymer service manual's suggestion and pulled the ECU and Motronic before moving the ABS unit and Bowden box so that the regulator could be removed. On the back of the ECU were written in permanent marker the name of a now defunct local shop along with a serial number.

After replacing the regulator, I test rode the bike... same problem. It's now occurred to me that the shop that worked on this bike may have reprogrammed the ECU and monkeyed with the Motronic. It seems like the "performance tuning" performed is dumping too much fuel into the cylinders and would explain the machine choking at full throttle. It also would explain why the bike's Motronic is displaying 1.67 million km.

Does anyone here know where I can get my electronics reprogrammed?

Thanks much!

-l-

Sorry, I can't help you with the reprogramming.

I would check your fuel pressure at full throttle if the engine is "choking" - you should have 3.5 bar (50psi)
There is a hidden non replaceable fuel filter in the upper section of the pump assembly and when it clogs it will demonstrate those symptoms.
There is a procedure to bypass it or you can replace the pump (it may be covered on the big recall)

Attachments

• Fuel pressure tester1.jpg
    Fuel pressure tester1.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 284
Thank you GSAddict!

The bike had several open recalls when I purchased it. I did have the fuel pump recall done early last month. I rode the bike ~ 90 miles to the dealership and noticed on the ride home that the issue persists.

It's damned dangerous when attempting to pass... I no longer do that on this bike in it's condition. So, it's got new fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and coil set. I've run lots of Sea Foam (4 tanks) and 1 tank of Techron. If I hang on full throttle, it chokes but recovers at ~4800 rpm and takes wing. Very consistent... which is why I'm suspecting ECU tinkering.

Thanks again!

-l-

Thank you GSAddict!

The bike had several open recalls when I purchased it. I did have the fuel pump recall done early last month. I rode the bike ~ 90 miles to the dealership and noticed on the ride home that the issue persists.

It's damned dangerous when attempting to pass... I no longer do that on this bike in it's condition. So, it's got new fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and coil set. I've run lots of Sea Foam (4 tanks) and 1 tank of Techron. If I hang on full throttle, it chokes but recovers at ~4800 rpm and takes wing. Very consistent... which is why I'm suspecting ECU tinkering.

Thanks again!

-l-

You can try to reset ECU Adaptive settings with a GS911
Reset the idle actuators while in there.

Actually I don't think the ECU can be re-flashed in these bikes. You can get a performance chip.

Attachments

• New chip.jpg
    New chip.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 236
The op has a 1200ST. (1200)
You cannot open the ECU to play with chips.
The ECU you have pictured is from the previous generation.

Thanks for the input all. Sorry for the delayed reply... a bit of go around with COVID has put me behind a bit.

GSAddict... I did monkey around with the GS911... 'didn't see a way of fully resetting the ECU. I did reset the actuators prior to balancing the throttle bodies. That all went well and the bike ran great... until I snapped the throttle.

Jrogers... I'm not sure what else I could change out on the bike. I've replaced coils, plugs, pressure regulator, filters, fuel pump. The injectors seem to have consistent patterns as well. Is there something I'm missing with regards to fuel and spark?

I've elected to try replacing the ECU with one I found on Ebay from the same year and model bike. It was only 85 euros and I'm thinking that to be much less expense than having my ECU tinkered with. I'll report back once I swap that part out... it's currently in transit from E.U..

I still would like to have the Motoronic flashed though so that my odometer works again. I was told by a couple of shops that that was do-able... but they had no clue on who has the programming tools. It won't kill me to have a non-working odometer, but seeing that row of 9's pokes at my compulsive nature!

Thank you for your help!

-l-

Have you replaced the throttle position sensor?
I remember reading of a similar situation a year ago and it was the TPS.
See if you can borrow one to test, there is no adjustment procedure they simply bolt in place on the 1200's

GSAddict,

I have not replaced the TPS. I actually have one for an R1150RS... 'same part? If so, that would be an easy test.

Thanks much!

-l-

Thanks GSA...

I kind of knew that would be too easy!

I'm going to install the new-to-me ECU when it shows (hopefully in the next few days) and see if there's any change. If the gremlins still persist, I'll look into finding a used TPS and try that next.

Sometimes I envy those who can just walk away!

Thanks again!

-l-

GSA...

Easier said than done, I'm afraid. I live in the sticks in northern Idaho... it seems like boxers in these parts are fairly far and few between. Mostly KTMs and Harleys in these parts.

The TPS I currently have I was able to pick up from one of the recyclers online for a fairly decent price. Once I determine whether or not the ECU isn't the culprit, I'll see what it takes to locate a proper TPS for the bike.

Thanks for your help!

-l-

Hi there,

I received the ECU from France and installed and test ridden. Indeed... it didn't fix the issue. GSAddict, it looks like my next swing will be at the TPS, thanks for that direction.

I've looked up the part number (1363-1721-456) stamped on my unit and it seems that that part number is the same part as used in several series of BMW cars. They are available from various sources, starting at $17 U.S. (spooky!) One site lists theirs as O.E.M. (though I'm not sure how to confirm that,) made in Germany and sells for less than $40. It certainly looks like the correct part and the tech I chatted with stressed that it was indeed OEM and from Deutschland... I'll report back on the part and whether or not this latest gamble has solved this ongoing conundrum.

Thanks!

-l-

Winter break

Well, I received a new TPS from RMEuropean... it does indeed seem to be the exact same part, though perhaps a 2nd as the BMW logo and other identifiers have been ground off.

20221119_111738.jpg

Installed it and ran the bike... it runs as before, i.e. occasional stumble at idle and complete power loss at full throttle. Damn!

I'm wondering if the Motoronic has any part of how the engine runs or if that's all handled by the ECU. Still would love to get the Motoronic re-flashed just out of principle and to solve the "million mile" output to the instrument cluster.

As it's in the teens and the highway out front is icy, 'think it's time to work on something other than this project for a while as this is making me crazy:hungover. Something straight forward, like tire changes are starting to look appealing.

Thank you all for your help.

To be continued...

-l-

The bike's service history is murky and it's still exhibiting issues with snapping the throttle.

Couple of silly questions....

I'm not sure about your ST but does it have Big Brass Screws in the throttle bodies? If yes, have you cleaned them. If you don't have these, ignore the question.

What happens if, instead of snapping the throttle, you slowly roll it on? Same result?

I've got a WAG (wild assed guess)....Coil, spark plug wire(s) or spark plug(s). :dunno

PGLaves:

I was under the impression that the ZFE and the ECU were one and the same. When I looked up "ECU" on the web, I was always shown what is marked as ZFE and that is what I have replaced with a used part from France that was marketed as a ECU. The part that was on the bike originally looks like it'd been monkeyed with as it had a shop's name and number written on the back in magic marker... hence the suspicion about the part. If the Motoronic contains the ECU, then I'm back to wondering where I can get mine re-imaged.

BC1100S:

I can't quite remember... perhaps there were brass screws, but I may be confusing the ST with my RS (2002) that does indeed have those screws. I've pulled the ST off the lift so that I could move onto another project... the bike's now stuffed between a couple of others in a corner and I can't see the T.B.s unless I pull the side panels off (which I can't reach at the moment.) I was very hesitant to touch any adjustments other than the throttle cable seats after seeing many warnings against doing so.

If I roll on the throttle smoothly (even somewhat aggressively) the bike has no complaints. It really hauls butt... it's just when you snap the throttle (as in passing another vehicle) that it flat out chokes... every time! If I continue to hold the throttle pegged while it's in the "choking" state, it will jerk and complain until I hit (I seem to remember) 4800 RPM, then it suddenly smooths out and flies. I can then snap the throttle above that RPM with no issue. That's what strikes me as so odd... 'seems to me if it were anything "non-electronic" that it would not clear up past a certain RPM. That's what initially lead me to change out the fuel pressure regulator, then (what I thought was) the ECU.

I've changed the plugs and coils, but not the wires.

This all makes my 'lil brain ache!

Thanks for your help!

-l-

Back