Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aerostich and Shoei

Helite

Dave, do you wear the airbag outside of a jacket, inside, or do you know anyone who has purchased the Helite Touring Jacket? I love Aerostich but I am really looking at Helite now, If their touring jacket is as robust as Aerostich and waterproof, and LOL fits me I think I may go that route to replace my jacket. St.

RK Ryder
    I wear my Helite over my riding jacket. If the weather is cold, or raining, it is still worn over my jacket but under my rain coat. I have a slit in the rain coat to the feed the tether through. There is a new model that does not require a tether; it is electronically monitored and will activate the jacket automatically when leaving the bike quickly. I few years ago I had a parking lot tip over and the teaher does not activate unnecessarily for these type of incidents.

My only regret with ordering the jacket was I went with hi Viz which reflects very effectively onto the GPS, making it difficult to read. Black masking tape over keys areas of the vest solved that problem. Besides the high Viz, I do have additional lights on the bikes.

Having said that, on one occasion in a parking lot a driver told me he was able spot the vest from a decent distance.
    Last edited by Paul_F; 10-29-2022 at 10:15 PM.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Hi viz

Yeah, my Aerostich was high visibility yellow. LOL, didn't help here because it was me who didn't see what I needed to be looking at. Thanks Paul for the feedback. St.

RK Ryder
    I should add Steve that the Helite vest is rather heavy to put on and wear walking around. However, once I am on the bikes, the weight disappears.

Both bikes have a "Buckle Up" label at the ignition and almost all of the time I do attach the tether. Fortunately I have the habit of checking the tether once I begin moving. Good thing as occasionally I forget to buckle up and then pull over to secure the vest to the bike. I'd hate to be badly hurt in an "incident" without the vest tethered as then my kids would tell each other that they all told the old man he'd get hurt one day riding. I'd hate to prove them right.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    Dave, do you wear the airbag outside of a jacket, inside, or do you know anyone who has purchased the Helite Touring Jacket? I love Aerostich but I am really looking at Helite now, If their touring jacket is as robust as Aerostich and waterproof, and LOL fits me I think I may go that route to replace my jacket. St.
    My buddy wears his over his gear. Im looking at the Alpinestars stuff, which can go under your jacket and has no tether.

There two, the Tech5 and Tech3. The 5 has better shoulder protection for $150 more than the $600 3.

I like the ability to move it around under different jackets. My buddy wears his Helite, which he loves and has deployed when he hit a deer, on the outside. So far in 5 years, hes set it off once accidentally, but they installed a new cartridge, repacked it and continued their trip.

First up, I need a new jacket setup and Im digging the Dainese Corner Carver 3. The Tech5 should work with it. It wants a stretchy jacket or one with a couple inches of internal room, like youd want for a heated jacket and fleece.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

I've got the brown Helite jacket. Looks great, and inflated the one time I forgot to unbuckle before walking away from the bike. It's warm with the liner, has ok airflow for the summer (liner removed), and handled the light sprinkling I've been in.

It ain't light.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Thanks all to have responded, I have a lot of time on my hands to figure out what I want and you have given me great ideas to look into. St.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    Thanks all to have responded, I have a lot of time on my hands to figure out what I want and you have given me great ideas to look into. St.
    Yes. That’s the key to a good decision-taking your time.

In 1977, just a couple weeks after coming upon a motorcycle-car crash in an intersection, I low speed bounced off a dump truck body (he made a sudden left turn from being stopped on my two lane road’s right shoulder) and I was sent across the oncoming lane, through a picket fence and onto someone’s front lawn, I was amazed I was unhurt. The right side of my white open face J.C Whitney helmet did hit the dump body.

I turned around and went home and parked the bike. I was sure I’d never ride again. Then one day, about a month later, all of a sudden I got the urge to ride again, I got back on and I’ve stayed riding. I was glad I didn’t make a quick decision and sell the bike during that month.
    "The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why" -- Mark Twain

Peveved

LOL, I have been angry about the nice October days I have missed riding, I have a feeling I will be back to riding but not on my RS. St.