• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Slave clutch line Rust

Did a spline lube and found this.Is this a common thing?I mean at 40k that seems kind of premature and $238 for a new hose.There has to be something cheaper and better then this.Any input is highly appreciated.2002 spline lube (17).JPG

Did a spline lube and found this.Is this a common thing?I mean at 40k that seems kind of premature and $238 for a new hose.There has to be something cheaper and better then this.Any input is highly appreciated.View attachment 89695

It ain't the miles, it's the years, man.

If you'd like to scare yourself, consider that most of the rubber stuff is now measured on the Rockwell Hardness scale. :ha

It ain't the miles, it's the years, man.

If you'd like to scare yourself, consider that most of the rubber stuff is now measured on the Rockwell Hardness scale. :ha

This is the only rust on this bike and why there is what I like to know.I understand the rubber parts going south on something this old and all the brake lines are Spiegler because of it.Just weird.

What is the actual part called so I can add a bit to the title. It really helps with a further search down the road.
OM

This is the only rust on this bike and why there is what I like to know.I understand the rubber parts going south on something this old and all the brake lines are Spiegler because of it.Just weird.
There's the kind of speckling on the fittings that's common with salty environments. Do you ride on the shoulder seasons when there're salt removal crud on the roads?

Looks like the paint is starting to bubble on the surface adjacent to the fitting. I used to have that issue with my bikes when I lived back east and tried to ride year round. :dunno

There's the kind of speckling on the fittings that's common with salty environments. Do you ride on the shoulder seasons when there're salt removal crud on the roads?

Looks like the paint is starting to bubble on the surface adjacent to the fitting. I used to have that issue with my bikes when I lived back east and tried to ride year round. :dunno

You are probably right about salt getting there.Who knows what the PO did with it.Out of curiosity I checked ebay and found used ones that look just like it rust and all.It is a mystery for me why are the other fittings in good shape.I found at good deal at MotoBins for a replacement,braided and all.

Like. Good luck, man. I've had some decent luck with Frentubo stuff along with Spiegler. I put Spiegler on my airhead and it really helped on those ancient lines.

:thumb

I ran across this condition several years ago on my LT and I've heard others report it. I believe water travels from the forward end of the rubber sheath and gets trapped at the end with the metal fitting thus promoting the rust you see. I simply slid the the sheath up the line to expose the metal, cleaned up the rust and painted the fitting. I then placed a tie wrap at the forward end to hold the sheath in place leaving the fitting exposed.... no issues since. Alternatively you can cut the sheath away where needed if you can't slide it.

I ran across this condition several years ago on my LT and I've heard others report it. I believe water travels from the forward end of the rubber sheath and gets trapped at the end with the metal fitting thus promoting the rust you see. I simply slid the the sheath up the line to expose the metal, cleaned up the rust and painted the fitting. I then placed a tie wrap at the forward end to hold the sheath in place leaving the fitting exposed.... no issues since. Alternatively you can cut the sheath away where needed if you can't slide it.

So you are saying that the black hose is just a cover and underneath is a braided line?

I’d spray some corrosion-X on all the metal parts to avoid this from happening again, even on the new line when it gets replaced.
I see similar corrosion down here because of the salt air environment in S Florida but it isn’t nearly as bad as driving/riding through salty slush up north.

Thanks for the feed back,saved me some money here.2002 spline lube (24).JPG

And while I was at it look what I found.Time to get the solder iron.And this bike was still running.I wondered what that little miss was every so often.2002 spline lube (23).JPG

The rusting is common.
Water makes it down the sheath from the upper end and collects at the fitting.
The mod below will allow the sheath to drain before reaching the fitting.
I do this mod to every bike I work on when in there greasing the slave bearing.

Attachments

• IMGP1044.jpg
    IMGP1044.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 42
Back