• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Pressure Monitor

You are giving up too easily on a feature that improves your safety while riding.

I understand your opinion but it all comes down to cost. If replacing the sensor/module is more than a new tire per wheel it's not worth it. I've owned many motorcycles without it so it's not a feature I would miss.

I understand your opinion but it all comes down to cost. If replacing the sensor/module is more than a new tire per wheel it's not worth it. I've owned many motorcycles without it so it's not a feature I would miss.

Just my $.02 but I am on the same page as AKBEEMER .... the TPM can really save your butt as I have seen it in action on trips with my buddies. Yes we have all ridden without TPM and heck without ABS too. But that is one reason I am riding a BMW ... I believe they are some of the safest motorcycles made. In addition I have found it can be a slippery slope of not fixing things on bikes and cars. You don't replace this. then you don't fix that and pretty soon you are riding (or driving) a hoopdie. But that is just me. I try and keep my vehicles as close to new as possible.

It's kind of like insurance ... you never miss it ... until you need it!

Most of us have ridden many a bike countless miles long before TPMS was even an options and are still alive. Having said that, I would no longer own a bike without functioning TPMS sensors. If the bike did not come with them, I would install an aftermarket system. My TPMS alerted me that I was losing pressure on my rear this while I was carving through a day of windy/twisty roads in the mountains of NC this last Spring. With the warning, I was able to plug and reinflate the tire and be on my way. I don't want to imagine how it could have turned out had I carried on until I felt something was wrong.

BMW charges a rather hefty premium to affix their logo to the TPMS sensors they sell. With a little research, I am positive you will find much more affordable options that will work with your bike. I know that is the case for the K1600's.

My 2011 RT doesn't have the TPMS system, the 16RS does. I'd like to have had it on the 11RT, but it's not a deal breaker it doesn't for me.

Been riding 52 years and owned a dozen or more motors in that time. First bike with TPMS was in 2018 on the 12GS.

Just a reminder: good TPMS systems are available for $50 or a little more. They include a display device and two sensors which attach to the valve stems. They are obviously not OEM, and generally don't integrate with anything. I have been using such a system on my bikes for several years without issue.

There are also aftermarket systems that integrate with and display information on a smart phone. Neither type is as elegant as the OEM system integrated with a TFT. But, I post this to simply point out that a person is not limited to two choices: OEM system or nothing. If an OEM system malfunctions and the price to renew it is too high you do have additional choices other than no TPMS.

Just got off the phone with MAX in CT, $300 to replace sensor. Bike has 19,000mi so oil change $250, brake flush around $200, final drive fluid around $200 and they don't do winter storage anymore. Central Ma. Motorsports will store bike and Greater Boston Motor Sports, a BMW dealer, is part of their network so they would transport bike to Arlington, Ma. for maintenance over the winter. YIKES! Winter storage is around $500 so I'm looking at about $1200.

Just got off the phone with MAX in CT, $300 to replace sensor. Bike has 19,000mi so oil change $250, brake flush around $200, final drive fluid around $200 and they don't do winter storage anymore. Central Ma. Motorsports will store bike and Greater Boston Motor Sports, a BMW dealer, is part of their network so they would transport bike to Arlington, Ma. for maintenance over the winter. YIKES! Winter storage is around $500 so I'm looking at about $1200.

If you are at all handy you can do the oil change for about $45 and the final drive for about $20 (I'm guessing at cost of fluids & parts) If $300 included the sensor that is not a bad price. I just had complete brake service done and was about the same as they quoted. Note that if you are due for tires you can get the sensor done at the same time and save the labor cost.

Just a reminder: good TPMS systems are available for $50 or a little more. They include a display device and two sensors which attach to the valve stems. They are obviously not OEM, and generally don't integrate with anything. I have been using such a system on my bikes for several years without issue.

There are also aftermarket systems that integrate with and display information on a smart phone. Neither type is as elegant as the OEM system integrated with a TFT. But, I post this to simply point out that a person is not limited to two choices: OEM system or nothing. If an OEM system malfunctions and the price to renew it is too high you do have additional choices other than no TPMS.

+1

On my 10 FJR 1300 I had a Doran system on it. At that time the had a two sensor kit. https://doranmfg.com/tire-monitoring/

It saved my bacon on a front tire rock hit and it allowed me to respond faster then my own senses would have allowed me to. Audio, and a blinding red light tends to get your attention.

I have ridden many motorcycles without, but in this day and age there is no reason to! Plenty of after market valve stem type TPM systems at a lot less cost then the BMW replacement.

Personally I'm anal about tire pressures - a hold-over from when my Dad started teaching me how to ride.

I think it was @ 2008-2009 I read an article about the tire pressure monitors for motorcycles and immediately bought a Tiregard Wireless System that was featured in the article. Installed on my 2007 RT, it worked flawlessly. I compared its displayed pressures with an "I paid too much for this" tire pressure gauge and it was spot on. It's still on the 07, and still works like it should.

Now they've upgraded it to include tire temperature and are available with 4 sensors so if you haul a trailer, you have sensors for it as well.

My '15 RT has TPMS but if I start having issues with the factory installed system, I'm buying another Tiregard system.

Here's a link with a video on the system if you have any interest.

TireGard.

Personally I'm anal about tire pressures - a hold-over from when my Dad started teaching me how to ride.

I think it was @ 2008-2009 I read an article about the tire pressure monitors for motorcycles and immediately bought a Tiregard Wireless System that was featured in the article. Installed on my 2007 RT, it worked flawlessly. I compared its displayed pressures with an "I paid too much for this" tire pressure gauge and it was spot on. It's still on the 07, and still works like it should.

Now they've upgraded it to include tire temperature and are available with 4 sensors so if you haul a trailer, you have sensors for it as well.

My '15 RT has TPMS but if I start having issues with the factory installed system, I'm buying another Tiregard system.

Here's a link with a video on the system if you have any interest.

TireGard.

That is the system we got for Voni's bikes: the four sensor system. The "bike" sensors are on her R1100RS and the "trailer" sensors are on her G310GS. The system doesn't know the 310 isn't a trailer. :)

I won't tell it....

Tell Voni I said hello. Hope we can hook up sometime soon Paul. Good to see you around here.

If you are at all handy you can do the oil change for about $45 and the final drive for about $20 (I'm guessing at cost of fluids & parts) If $300 included the sensor that is not a bad price. I just had complete brake service done and was about the same as they quoted. Note that if you are due for tires you can get the sensor done at the same time and save the labor cost.

Yes I know but I'm done working on my motorcycles. I live in an apartment complex, used to change oil, spark plugs, brake pads, etc. but no more. Greater Boston Moto Sports gave me estimate for oil and filter, TPS, Brake fluid and gear oil of about $850.

Greater Boston Moto Sports gave me estimate for oil and filter, TPS, Brake fluid and gear oil of about $850.

Fornthat price you might reconsider working on your bike again. Got friends with a garage? Perhaps local club members?

Yes I know but I'm done working on my motorcycles. I live in an apartment complex, used to change oil, spark plugs, brake pads, etc. but no more. Greater Boston Moto Sports gave me estimate for oil and filter, TPS, Brake fluid and gear oil of about $850.

In that case then "it is what it is". You ride a premium motorcycle and just like premium brand cars dealer costs are just higher. Not sure but maybe there is an independent shop in Boston area that would be less expensive.

Give Duncan at Duncan's Beemers in Maynard a call. I'm betting he'd be much less expensive.

Give Duncan at Duncan's Beemers in Maynard a call. I'm betting he'd be much less expensive.

Duncan worked on my 2000RT but I'm pretty sure he doesn't do "modern" Beemers. He's quite the character thou and his shop is still there in Maynard.

Yes, since I choose to ride a premium high-end Beemer you gotta pay for all the bells & whistles and the repairs. I rode yesterday, front TPM monitor idiot light was on and when I scrolled to menu it read zero but after 10-15 minutes idiot light went out and it indicated 34 psi in front tire. HMMM!

Duncan worked on my 2000RT but I'm pretty sure he doesn't do "modern" Beemers. He's quite the character thou and his shop is still there in Maynard.

Yes, since I choose to ride a premium high-end Beemer you gotta pay for all the bells & whistles and the repairs. I rode yesterday, front TPM monitor idiot light was on and when I scrolled to menu it read zero but after 10-15 minutes idiot light went out and it indicated 34 psi in front tire. HMMM!

Yup ... that's exactly how they act when they are caputski. Both of mine on my '16 RT acted that same way when I had them replaced.

Yup ... that's exactly how they act when they are caputski. Both of mine on my '16 RT acted that same way when I had them replaced.

When the TPM battery started to die on one of mine I would get a warning triangle and when I looked at the pressure reading it would show a dash with no number for that tire.
It never showed zero.

Back