• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS Low Suspension - What Do You Lose?

Knees bent

The low bike with low seat results in one's knees being a little too bent for long-distance comfort, in my opinion. I have a 2017 low model, works perfectly for me, but I put the seat on "high" for long distance traveling to be more comfortable. (I rode 3000 miles in last 30 days) but I put it down for in-city because it is more comfortable to handle, stop and park. With the seat down I can flatfoot it when I stand up.

The low version option is THE REASON that I got a BMW GS. Africa Twin, Tenere, etc., were too tall for me. However, with your 30" inseam I would recommend the standard bike for you. But test ride both and decide for yourself. (At the annual BMW meeting the factory brings several version to test ride.)

My order is placed. Thanks to everyone.

I really appreciate all of the feedback I received. I've decided to get the GSA but not the lowered suspension. I went back and sat on one and made sure the seat was in the lower position. When I also set the suspension in the lowest position I could nearly flat foot it. I think I'll adjust quickly to shifting on the seat when I come to a stop. I definitely don't have the additional resources to get a custom suspension. Its great to have resources like this to help me make my decision. I greatly appreciate everyone who contributed to the conversation. Regards, Don

Low suspension

I am thinking of buying a new BMW. I've had a K1200LT, K1200RS, and currently an R1200RT. I've always wanted an R1250GS/GSA, but I have a 30" inseam and have always found the height intimidating when I sat on one in the showroom. My feet were simply too far from the ground to feel comfortable. I recently sat on a model with a factory-lowered suspension at a dealership. I was surprised to find that I could nearly flat-foot it: it was almost the same as my RT. My question is what do you lose when you have the suspension altered in this way? I suspect if it had no effect BMW would simply lower the seat instead of making it an option given how many people comment on the seat height. I don't see myself doing hard-core off-road riding, but I do want to ride off-road although most of my riding will be on the street. Does anyone know what is sacrificed when you opt for the lower suspension?

Check this out. I'm 5'6'', 30inch inseam, 150 lbs. I have had and enjoyed my 2014 BMW 1200GS with a low seat since bought it new in 2013. I am not flat footed on it, and it is difficult to take it off road by my self for fear of dropping it. I am really not strong enough to pick it up despite proper technique etc. I just bought the 750GS low suspension/low seat and love it. Now flat footed, easier to maneuver, seems easier to pick it up, and I will likely enjoy it off road more. I am waiting for a bigger windscreen. I only have 400 mlies on it so far but I think this will be my solution for off road. I won't sell my 1200gs just yet since I am emotionally attached to it.

Welcome to the forum :wave

Even if you can flatfoot , gravity is more in charge…too many encounters leaving pavement have proved that for me :laugh

Congrats on new bike and finding the right for you screen. Have installed a lot of Givi’s with the spoiler on top for folks. Happy riding and post a pic over in F-twins. Nothing wrong with a few bikes in the garage either!

Back