• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Klim and their Warranty, be warned!

frenchnew

I will relate to my recent experience with Klim and the way they handle their warranty for the benefit of other members on this forum.

Bought a pair of Induction Gloves on June 30 of this year (from Fortnine in Montreal) and within 3 weeks and 4 rides later the material covering the pad for palm protection started to fray. Communicated with Klim and provided pictures (Klim handles their warranty) and they have asked me to destroy the gloves by cutting all the gloves fingers and email them a picture after which they would provide a voucher for the value of a replacement pair bought directly from them. They had stock but could not pride me with an expected time for delivery because they had shipping issues at the time. Suggested that I could order a pair and pay them and once I received them I would destroy the defective pair and email them the picture so they could issue a credit for my purchase. Klim denied me that solution and I wanted to still use warm weather gloves to ride.

The hot weather being over, I destroyed the gloves last week and email them the picture. Klim responded within 24 hours with a voucher for the value of the replacement minus the taxes. Klim will charge all applicable taxes on replacement/warranty items - be warned !

In all my warranty experience in my life, this is a first for me that you have to pay taxes on an item that is replaced under warranty. Shame on you Klim

Robert Charron

How much money are we talking about?

Seems like Polaris owns Klim and is based out of Minnesota. Could the “tax” be a border crossing tariff?

Around here, when you purchase a battery, there is a core charge. You have to pay on the full price of the battery and file for the core later. This means the tax paid on the core is not returned.

I wonder why Fortnine wouldn’t take care of you? Fortnine sending you somewhere else, from reading your post, sounds like where the customer service problem started?

OM

I will relate to my recent experience with Klim and the way they handle their warranty for the benefit of other members on this forum.

Bought a pair of Induction Gloves on June 30 of this year (from Fortnine in Montreal) and within 3 weeks and 4 rides later the material covering the pad for palm protection started to fray. Communicated with Klim and provided pictures (Klim handles their warranty) and they have asked me to destroy the gloves by cutting all the gloves fingers and email them a picture after which they would provide a voucher for the value of a replacement pair bought directly from them. They had stock but could not pride me with an expected time for delivery because they had shipping issues at the time. Suggested that I could order a pair and pay them and once I received them I would destroy the defective pair and email them the picture so they could issue a credit for my purchase. Klim denied me that solution and I wanted to still use warm weather gloves to ride.

The hot weather being over, I destroyed the gloves last week and email them the picture. Klim responded within 24 hours with a voucher for the value of the replacement minus the taxes. Klim will charge all applicable taxes on replacement/warranty items - be warned !

In all my warranty experience in my life, this is a first for me that you have to pay taxes on an item that is replaced under warranty. Shame on you Klim

Robert Charron

Interesting in the taxes

I had a defective pair of Forma Adventure Low Boots that I returned to RevZilla even after I used them several weeks. They credited my account with cost of boots, tax and shipping so I could replace them. They too would not issure refund to my card claiming that on warranty issues (via the way their arangement is with Forma USA) they only fully credit so you can get a replacement. Does not have to be same model or even same brand.

How much money are we talking about?

Seems like Polaris owns Klim and is based out of Minnesota. Could the “tax” be a border crossing tariff?

Around here, when you purchase a battery, there is a core charge. You have to pay on the full price of the battery and file for the core later. This means the tax paid on the core is not returned.

I wonder why Fortnine wouldn’t take care of you? Fortnine sending you somewhere else, from reading your post, sounds like where the customer service problem started?

OM

We are not talking about a fortune but more about the principles, they charged me $27 for the Good and Service Tax and the Quebec Sales Tax. Nothing about border crossing tariff. Klim does not let their dealers handle customer's warranty and you have to contact them for it.

As for core charges like you point out, we have the same here.

Fortnine service was good and they pointed out that only Klim can autorise their warranty. I had another issue with another product for which Fortnine steppped up to the plate and provided very good service. As you might not be aware, Fortnine get most of their products from Importations Thibault which is a major distributor of motorcycle and snowwmobile related produucts.

I'm in USA (OP in Canada) and I have successfully had about 8 Klim warranty incidents and have never been charged shipping or tax except to send a defective item to them for repair in which I paid the shipping to them. just wanted to add that data point.

Warranties have been for, Thermal tops, Bottoms, gloves, badlands pants, adventure rally jacket and one of their Krios helmets. most of my claims are flor gloves where a seam goes long before the glove's usable life is over. they have me send them a photo of fingers cut off and they mail me a new one. the other items I had to mail to them for an attempted repair first.

I'm in USA (OP in Canada) and I have successfully had about 8 Klim warranty incidents and have never been charged shipping or tax except to send a defective item to them for repair in which I paid the shipping to them. just wanted to add that data point.

Warranties have been for, Thermal tops, Bottoms, gloves, badlands pants, adventure rally jacket and one of their Krios helmets. most of my claims are flor gloves where a seam goes long before the glove's usable life is over. they have me send them a photo of fingers cut off and they mail me a new one. the other items I had to mail to them for an attempted repair first.

I need to ask, are you rough on stuff, or is Klim gear somewhat fragile. I ask because in 25 years wearing Aerostich gear I have never needed a warranty claim on several jackets or riding pants and other items.

I need to ask, are you rough on stuff, or is Klim gear somewhat fragile. I ask because in 25 years wearing Aerostich gear I have never needed a warranty claim on several jackets or riding pants and other items.

I do beat the crap out of my gear, yes. Last time I tore the Badlands Pro pants, I had the side vents open and was doing single track on the GS Adventure in Colorado and a tree branch grabbed the pants leg at the vent and tore the seam. They covered this under warranty. When I slide myself and bike into a guard rail on my adventure rally suit, Klim replaced both under their gear protection guarantee but they'd only replace in my current size so despite gaining some weight, they didn't change the size for me. For gloves, it's almost always a seam or waterproofness getting lost but all of my gear is used on dirt bikes and I LIVE in my gear when traveling. Last week, I did 600 miles on my Husky 701 in 3 days but from Thursday night to Sunday night, I never took the boots or pants off except to sleep so I'm wearing Klim GTX and Badlands pants around the fire, while cooking, in my camp chair, chopping wood and so they get a lot of wear and tear thanks to that.

I don't know if I'm extreme but I certainly maximize how much I use this gear. I think 2022, I camped off the bike at least 24 days. Some years it's as much as 50 days camping off the bike.

So, now the real question is: After you've cut the fingers off the gloves, do you put them on Ebay and sell them to some unsuspecting Harley rider? :lol

In all my warranty experience in my life, this is a first for me that you have to pay taxes on an item that is replaced under warranty.

I have had maybe 2 warranty cases in my long life, so what you should have done is have them state on the invoice that these are "warranty replacements". Klim replaced my Latitude pants when they were a couple of months old and I had no cross-border issues.

Funny that this thead came up because I just had my Klim Latitude jacket in the laundry tub after coating it with Shout to get the dirt out and letting it soak. Six years old and the jacket still looks like new except the Hi-Viz Yellow has faded which is the norm for that colour. I have to say, top quality gear.

My gloves are Held though and about eight years old. At this point the lining comes out when your hands are sweaty. I just got another pair of the same while I was in Germany this summer.

Well Paul, if you had several Aerostich jackets in 25 years, none of them have seen any time. In my 24 years of wearing two Aerostich Roadcrafter II suits (12 years each), the Velcro frayed long before the 12 year period. They are well made but they have their issues, plus they are not waterproof as Aerostich claims.

Well Paul, if you had several Aerostich jackets in 25 years, none of them have seen any time. In my 24 years of wearing two Aerostich Roadcrafter II suits (12 years each), the Velcro frayed long before the 12 year period. They are well made but they have their issues, plus they are not waterproof as Aerostich claims.

The"several" is more due to my circumferential expansion than any issue with the durability of the garments. :)

The"several" is more due to my circumferential expansion than any issue with the durability of the garments. :)

Paul everytime I see pics of you in the ON, you look the same...thin. Ahhh, you mean you lost weight. Well at least in that case, they fit....loosely.

I buy all my Klim gear through "Alex" at Black Hills Moto. (https://blackhillsmoto.com/)

At one time Alex was the largest Klim retailer, now Klim has taken back a significant portion of their online sales so Alex is no longer Numero Uno, but he still has pull.

I had a pair of Latitude pants that were leaking at the crotch after my ride to Dust to Dawson in June 2022
Klim wanted them for inspection, I sent them in.
Klim said the pants are defective, and that we will replace them.
Option One - we issue you a credit for use at our store for whatever you want
Option Two - we will send you a new pair of pants when they are available (March 2023)

I asked for my old pants back - Klim said "NO" we can't ship you defective merchandise.

We were at a stalemate and I needed pants to ride in - leakers or not.

Alex ( and his wife Sondra) got involved - their KLIM Rep interceded and got my old pants shipped to me, Alex put the new pants I wanted on order. When the new pants came in (October) I returned the defective pants, Alex handed me my new pants, and Alex and the Rep handled the warranty (Alex cut off one leg and sent the picture in to KLIM) then received credit for the pants.

The moral of the story - buy your KLIM gear through Alex!

I had a pair of Latitude pants that were leaking at the crotch.
Klim wanted them for inspection, I sent them in.
Klim said the pants are defective, and that we will replace them.

Exactly what happened to me. Sent in my old pair (I think they emailed me a UPS or Fed-Ex label) and I got a new pair lickety-split.

No problems with the new pair since 2016.

Back