Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R1100R won't start after stall

Quote Originally Posted by alanr1100 View Post
    Greetings,

Iíve owned this í99 R1100r for six years without any starting problems, other than a bad battery. Normally starts after a couple of seconds. Runs like a top.

Over the past few days:
    Iíve replaced the 5-year-old Odyssey battery with a new one. I turned on switch and turned throttle all the way twice. Turned off, waited 15 minutes and then back on to restart. The engine cranks but acts as if there is no fuel or spark. Tank is 3/4 full. Havenít checked the spark as Clymer seems to think this is risky.

Any ideas are most welcome.
    Take a good spark plug, insert it into the plug boot and ground the plug to the motor. You can hold it on the cylinder fins, but I would wear a heavy glove. Press the starter and watch for a spark at the gap - should be bluish color.

Take one of the injectors out from the throttle body. Leave the fuel line attached to it. Press the starter and you should see a fine spray of gas from the injector tip. Don't smoke when you're doing this. You could point the injector into a clear container to catch the gas if you like.

If you don't have spark and/or you don't have gas that's a problem. Report back.

HES - Hall Effect Sensor - is the ignition sensor. Wiring harness on this part is bad on EVERY 1100 Oilhead bike, except for some R1100S bikes. If the wiring on the HES wasn't repaired or the whole thing replaced, that is either your problem, or your future problem. EVERY 1100 Oilhead. Got that? It's a PITA but not a major repair. About $130 or so to have someone (GSADDICT) repair it beautifully, or a few bucks to repair yourself - with the correct type of wires. Or about $2-300 for a new one.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I don't know what a HES is. I live about 1 1/2 hours from a BMW dealer/service so would like to work with available options first. Thanks.
    Hopefully GSAddict will come by for recommendations. The Hall Effect Sensor is the, in simple terms, the trigger control for the ignition system.
    It seems sometimes they go quick and sometimes there is a bit of a warningÖ..like stumbling in the rain. The early insulation was subject to degradation with age.

Good luck.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose". MI5
    Moderator Team.
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

To add to the above comments, not only is the HES the trigger for the ignition it is also the control signal for the firing of the fuel injectors. It does both.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
    Hall Effect Sensor. It's a sensor that reads crank position to send spark to the plugs. If the seŮsor itself is screwed, it can be pricey. But if it's just the pulley, it's a $35 part or something you can likely swap on your own if you're halfway mechanically inclined.

It lives inside the front cover and the pulley is the bottom pulley on the alternator belt. The sensor lives adjacent to it and has a couple wires running out of it.
    Thanks a lot. I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    To add to the above comments, not only is the HES the trigger for the ignition it is also the control signal for the firing of the fuel injectors. It does both.
    Interesting. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    Take a good spark plug, insert it into the plug boot and ground the plug to the motor. You can hold it on the cylinder fins, but I would wear a heavy glove. Press the starter and watch for a spark at the gap - should be bluish color.
    Have you done this on an R1100? Clymer says it will damage the ignition system.

As long as the threads of the plug remain grounded on the engine fins, it's not a problem. The spark is just trying to find its way to ground, whether it's screwed into the plug hole or the threads are grounded on the engine. Clymer was probably worried or cautioning about breaking contact with the engine...and yes, that could damage the ignition system.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    As long as the threads of the plug remain grounded on the engine fins, it's not a problem. The spark is just trying to find its way to ground, whether it's screwed into the plug hole or the threads are grounded on the engine. Clymer was probably worried or cautioning about breaking contact with the engine...and yes, that could damage the ignition system.
    If I do this it is with a jumper wire firmly clipped to the spark plug threads and a known good ground like a frame bolt.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

As long as the plug is grounded to the motor there is no problem. Damage occurs if there is no path to ground so that the discharge goes back to the coil. Yes, I have an R1100RT. This damage problem goes back to the early days of the 247 Airheads when people were removing the spark plug wire on one side to perform a carb sync. Ignition system got damaged.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

If I do this it is with a jumper wire firmly clipped to the spark plug threads and a known good ground like a frame bolt.
    Thanks to you and the # guy. I really appreciate your comments. I think at this point I'm moving on. I live in a historic town, St. Michaels, MD, and have no garage (Historic Committee won't approve). It sounds very likely, after doing some research, that the HES may be the culprit. I'm not able to do such work so I'll either ship to Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD or possibly try a very helpful local mechanic nearby.

Thanks again for your help

Left Coast Rider
    Thanks to you and the # guy. I really appreciate your comments. I think at this point I'm moving on. I live in a historic town, St. Michaels, MD, and have no garage (Historic Committee won't approve). It sounds very likely, after doing some research, that the HES may be the culprit. I'm not able to do such work so I'll either ship to Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD or possibly try a very helpful local mechanic nearby.

Thanks again for your help
    Hold the phone there, buddy! HES repairs can be done for a very reasonable price by Forum member GSAddict. Removal and replacement of the HES is one of the simpler things to do. Seriously.

PS No garage allowed? Time to move!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I use one of these-

Actually I have a pair of the testers. One was supposed to he HEI and one for the older ignition systems. Never forum it mattered- spark wise.

This is handy as well-

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose". MI5
    Moderator Team.
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200