• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

smelling burning oil

Just had the 18,000 mi service (including valves) on my 2013 RT. I have noticed since the oil change/service the scent of burning oil while at a stop. Before the service I didn't have this burning oil smell at a stop. I can't see any drips or leaks anywhere and I've put approx 200 miles on the bike since the oil change. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Just had the 18,000 mi service (including valves) on my 2013 RT. I have noticed since the oil change/service the scent of burning oil while at a stop. Before the service I didn't have this burning oil smell at a stop. I can't see any drips or leaks anywhere and I've put approx 200 miles on the bike since the oil change. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I see two possibilities. The most likely is that some oil was spilled onto parts that get hot, during the process of draining the lubricants. The less likely but still possible is that seepage from one of the drain plugs is getting on the exhaust or other heated part of the motorcycle.

I would check for any sign of seepage at the drain plugs, and if none is found I would expect the smell to soon go away.

Or timing coincidence.

These bikes are noted for rear main seal leak ... or the seal on the balancer shaft.

This happened soon enough on my 2012 that they were replaced under warranty.

On my last '13 RT, the left cam tensioner was beginning to come loose and causing some oil seepage. Difficult to access to tighten.

On my last '13 RT, the left cam tensioner was beginning to come loose and causing some oil seepage. Difficult to access to tighten.

My ‘13 had the same bolt come just a little loose. It only takes a slight tightening of this bolt to stop the leak. A belt wrench makes it an easy job.

Back