• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

S1000XR Starting Issues

ranjam

Hello all Hotheads,

I have a 2021 XR with less than 600 miles on it. I just love this machine......when it starts. Here's the symptoms. I go out to start it and it behaves like it has a dead battery with a slow womp, womp, womp and dead. Meanwhile lights are nice and bright and TFR is on brilliantly. I shut the ignition off and walk away for a couple of minutes. Try it again and it happens again. Wait another ten minutes and vvvvrrroom, she starts. Not only does it start, it starts with vigor. I have already got a replacement LiI battery under warranty. Same problems. I've double and triple checked my connections. Same problem. My battery minder is an Optimate 1 LiI approved minder. I am at wits end with the obvious. I put a meter on the battery and it's right where it should be. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

Are you riding the bike every day?

Are you charging directly to the battery or through the accessory port?

OM

Routine

Hi,

I'm charging through a trickle charger two prong cable attached to the battery. I do not ride daily at this point.

:thumb

A friend of mine gave me an Optimate charger……really nice but I keep forgetting how the settings work. Direct to the battery is the best way as far as I’m concerned.

Many of the members have that charger and can maybe go over the operating sequence with you. If you could take it for a ride every day, it would be another way of testing the charger operation as well.

Let us know how you make out.

OM

:thumb

A friend of mine gave me an Optimate charger……really nice but I keep forgetting how the settings work. Direct to the battery is the best way as far as I’m concerned.

Many of the members have that charger and can maybe go over the operating sequence with you. If you could take it for a ride every day, it would be another way of testing the charger operation as well.

Let us know how you make out.

OM

Okay. Will do. I don't think its the charger or even the battery but not certain what else to tackle. I'll circle back at some point.

Hello all Hotheads,

I have a 2021 XR with less than 600 miles on it. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks in advance.

Two Words: Dealership. Warranty!!

A virtually new bike that doesn't start? Those two words! Plus these two words: Roadside Assistance!

If you haven't yet, check the tighten the terminal nuts. That's exactly the symptom of a loose ground nut. If that doesn't work, try switching the bike on and waiting a bit before hitting the starter. Sometimes letting the battery 'warm up' a bit increases the CCA available. To be sure, if the latter works there's a problem somewhere.

If you haven't yet, check the tighten the terminal nuts. That's exactly the symptom of a loose ground nut. If that doesn't work, try switching the bike on and waiting a bit before hitting the starter. Sometimes letting the battery 'warm up' a bit increases the CCA available. To be sure, if the latter works there's a problem somewhere.

Thanks. I'm going to try it but I think I'm going to end up going down the dealer route for warranty. Was hating that option but alas, it might be time to cave.

Back