Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 1985 K100RS ignition coils.

  1. #1
    Registered User mcmlcccvrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    209

    1985 K100RS ignition coils.

    Hi everyone,

    When did the newer style ignition coils start appearing? The newer ones are identifiable by the color where the hi-tension lead plugs into the coil, correct? It's reddish-brown?

    Thanks,
    Tom

  2. #2
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    5,094
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmlcccvrs View Post
    Hi everyone,

    When did the newer style ignition coils start appearing? The newer ones are identifiable by the color where the hi-tension lead plugs into the coil, correct? It's reddish-brown?

    Thanks,
    Tom
    Tom,
    You got me on this one. I wasn't aware there were "old" and "new" classic K-bike coils. Are you having trouble with yours? What year is your bike?
    Greg Feeler
    Member at large
    Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  3. #3
    Registered User mcmlcccvrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    Tom,
    You got me on this one. I wasn't aware there were "old" and "new" classic K-bike coils. Are you having trouble with yours? What year is your bike?
    Apparently the original ones cracked and then failed. I don't know what changed but the newer/better ones had this reddish-brown color where the hi-tension lead plugged in versus black of the originals. Same part number.

    I have a 1985 K100RS. I'm not having a problem with mine but apparently it's not a matter of if but when-provided one keeps the bike long enough I guess. 37 years old now so......... New coils are no longer available so one would be scrounging for used ones.

  4. #4
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    5,094
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmlcccvrs View Post
    Apparently the original ones cracked and then failed. I don't know what changed but the newer/better ones had this reddish-brown color where the hi-tension lead plugged in versus black of the originals. Same part number.

    I have a 1985 K100RS. I'm not having a problem with mine but apparently it's not a matter of if but when-provided one keeps the bike long enough I guess. 37 years old now so......... New coils are no longer available so one would be scrounging for used ones.
    Again, I've not heard of old vs. new coils, however the K100 was introduced in Europe in 1983 and only brought to the US in 1985. In 1986 they made a number of changes to the wiring, body trim, cam timing, and perhaps other things. If I were to guess, I would say that the change was from 1985 to 1986, as there just weren't many changes to the K100's through their run, nor to the K75's to the end of their production.

    I've not heard of any problems with old coils on classic K-bikes, myself. Where did you hear this?
    Greg Feeler
    Member at large
    Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  5. #5
    Registered User mcmlcccvrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    Again, I've not heard of old vs. new coils, however the K100 was introduced in Europe in 1983 and only brought to the US in 1985. In 1986 they made a number of changes to the wiring, body trim, cam timing, and perhaps other things. If I were to guess, I would say that the change was from 1985 to 1986, as there just weren't many changes to the K100's through their run, nor to the K75's to the end of their production.

    I've not heard of any problems with old coils on classic K-bikes, myself. Where did you hear this?

    I believe it was the K100 Forum. I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

  6. #6
    Registered User mcmlcccvrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    209
    Greg,

    Here you go. Something for your perusal.

    https://www.k100-forum.com/t6114-198...ignition-coils

Similar Threads

  1. Cracked ignition coil 1985 K100RS
    By 64372 in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2016, 02:56 PM
  2. Black coils vs. Blue coils
    By p2 in forum Airheads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-13-2011, 11:37 AM
  3. Ignition Coils
    By ESchultz142811 in forum Airheads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2008, 07:06 PM
  4. ignition coils
    By Stappenbeck in forum Airheads
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 09:52 PM
  5. High-energy ignition coils for 1977 R100S
    By ISAMEMON in forum Airheads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-12-2006, 02:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •