Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hurricane Stories

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    The big question is should some of this be rebuilt? That’s such a tough call and a very expensive task to manage.
    imo, no.

My dad used to take us in our boat out to Sanibel Island before the bridge was built, and for a number of years after.

It was pristine, a truly beautiful place.

50 years later the place is covered with development and now most of it is destroyed. What did anyone think would happen if it took a direct hit from a hurricane?

This place, and the entire coast below it should be incorporated into the Everglades National Park, but I guess its way too late for that.

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    imo, no.

My dad used to take us in our boat out to Sanibel Island before the bridge was built, and for a number of years after.

It was pristine, a truly beautiful place.

50 years later the place is covered with development and now most of it is destroyed. What did anyone think would happen if it took a direct hit from a hurricane?

This place, and the entire coast below it should be incorporated into the Everglades National Park, but I guess its way too late for that.
    I agree with that. The overdevelopment of Florida in general needs to be stopped. Where do these developers think the water, power sewage is all going and coming from??
    I have seen the water quality decline in the Everglades and on the reefs in the Keys where I was a fishing guide and dive instructor for 25+ years... Too many people in an environmentally sensitive area. But since everything in the USA is for sale, including people, money talks and BS walks... Maybe another storm or two may change things for the better. Many people can't get property insurance anymore either since many insurance companies are leaving Florida already.
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    Where do these developers think the water, power sewage is all going and coming from??
    As a generalization, they don't care. Developers make their money on the first sales and what happens in 5, 10, or 20 years is of no concern to them. By then they will be in a different city, county, or state buying up vacant land from retiring farmers or ranchers or others so they can make their bucks on different land.

It is the cities and counties and states that need to be looking ahead and asking the hard questions about resources and infrastructure. Some do a good job. Many don't. I watched it happen. Many people hate regulations and elected officials respond accordingly. I was a city planner and community development director working for cities and counties for 32 years.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Ft Meyers 6th fastest growing area in the country going from 440K in 2000 to 787K in latest census. Most new folks have no clue about hurricanes
    This story explains some of the reasons. Read a similar story of one of Daytonas early developers seeing big g opportunities and the beginning of filling in the marshlands and clearing mangroves. And off we went.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/04/us/fl...ate/index.html
    Steve Henson-Mod Team

No one gets out alive, Live accordingly!