• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

If it's out there I'm not finding it. R100RS dipstick.

According to Snowbum, up to about 1980, the oil quantity between the two marks is about a quart. After 1980, it was a little less, maybe 0.9 quart. Search for "Engine oil quantities:" on this page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/pangasket.htm

in the bottom quarter of the page.

Would be interesting to check this on the next oil change. After adding the first liter (quart?), let the bike sit and check the level with the dipstick. Then add the second liter/quart and see where the level settles at.

Ha, ha ... you can take to the bank the dipstick is metric calibrated, so not quarts and ounces!

Here's the oil dip stick from my 1974 R60/6.

Minimum mark at the bottom (min) 1 liter (Ltr), maximum mark (max) 2 liters. Pretty simple.

1974DipStick.jpg

Make sure you pay attention to owner's manual instructions about not screwing it in or you'll get a false reading showing more oil than it actually has.

It would be nice if they were all like that! My '78 R100/7 doesn't have the "1" near the min mark. And from what I can see on Anton's page with pictures of dipsticks, I'm hard pressed to see a similar "1" on any of them.

http://largiader.com/tech/oilpan/

I wish the photo on Anton's site was higher pixel count. My 1974 dipstick looks like the top one in the photo, metal top with round sides. If you zoom into the photo it appears to have the two markings at the bottom that I photographed. Let me tell you, that top of the dipstick is HOT HOT HOT when you stop riding. Like putting your fingers on the exhaust hot.

extended dip stick ?

Did they make extended dip sticks for the deeper pan? ty !

(still waiting to see who replies '... thats what SHE said... )

In case you wonder why I wonder, part of the benefit of a deeper pan,
specifically the greater internal air volume resulting from extended pan
which reduces the internal pressure rise when pistons are headed to the bottom of the stroke ,
is negated if the increased pan depth if filled with additional oil indicated by the shallower stick reading

Im look at MAX but so far early & late dip sticks ( including my 78 R100 's stick which worked in the shallow / early pan ) are all 290mm

oh ; Metric or Imperial dipsticks are OK by me~! ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯ I'm not prejudiced

oh heck , was looking for lüft in all the wrong places

good ol Lagiader
http://www.largiader.com/tech/oilpan/

thats odd , seems like the original (260mm from hilt -to- " Nicht über MAX Stand auffüllen" line) is the longest stick

watch out , I feel another GT special coming on ... ( now THATS what SHE said ! )

Did they make extended dip sticks for the deeper pan? ty !

(still waiting to see who replies '... thats what SHE said... )

In case you wonder why I wonder, part of the benefit of a deeper pan,
specifically the greater internal air volume resulting from extended pan
which reduces the internal pressure rise when pistons are headed to the bottom of the stroke ,
is negated if the increased pan depth if filled with additional oil indicated by the shallower stick reading

Im look at MAX but so far early & late dip sticks ( including my 78 R100 's stick which worked in the shallow / early pan ) are all 290mm

oh ; Metric or Imperial dipsticks are OK by me~! ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯ I'm not prejudiced

oh heck , was looking for lüft in all the wrong places

good ol Lagiader
http://www.largiader.com/tech/oilpan/

thats odd , seems like the original (260mm from hilt -to- " Nicht über MAX Stand auffüllen" line) is the longest stick

watch out , I feel another GT special coming on ... ( now THATS what SHE said ! )

You don’t need to change the dipstick for a deep sump. You’re only concerned about where the fill level is and the stock dipstick will give you that. The deep sump gives you more capacity, but doesn’t change where “Full” is inside the crankcase.

You don’t need to change the dipstick for a deep sump. You’re only concerned about where the fill level is and the stock dipstick will give you that. The deep sump gives you more capacity, but doesn’t change where “Full” is inside the crankcase.

But Dave, this is always the question with a deep sump. It depends on why you opted for a deep sump. "Full" is still the two liters, isn't it? If you only put in two liters, the result will be less windage, oil being whipped up inside the case. If you fill back to the original mark on the dipstick, then you are back to have the windage issues but you have theoretically more oil for some more cooling.

So which is it? It's each user's choice. Personally, if I were to do something like this, I find a happy medium and get best of both worlds.

Who puts a deep sump on an airhead to reduce windage issues? My goal has always been for more capacity.

Is crank rotation in the oil in the sump reducing power? I don’t understand the windage idea I guess. Maybe in a 10k rom race motor, but airhead motors are not ever gonna rev high enough that windage matters, imho

Moving the oil surface away and creating more volume for the air to circulate will reduce the foaming of the oil. Snowbum mentions windage issues on his website. Tom Cutter has mentioned windage on the Airmail forum. Anton mentions that adding the sump can reduce the fluctuations of pressures inside the case. Oak writes in 2016 that deep sumps are worthless, but adds that it does allow for the oil to remain cleaner since there is more to circulate. He doesn't buy into the extra cooling aspect.

The one benefit for adding a sump and filling to the "normal" level is that you don't have to change the oil filter pickup. If you add a pickup that is lower in the new pan, it's important that it is installed correctly.

This mod is IMO a personal choice by each owner.

never had my head inside a running boxer, but the crankshaft is sooooooo far above the oil level

I envision that the crank snagging a bunch of oil like a honey spatula is NEVER an issue,

unless you happen to be sliding down the road on one jug or the other ,

in which case, you have bigger problems

The engine layout is vastly different than the typical 'dry' sump w/ bottom-most crank

ahh the blessings of an under-crank camshaft just keep bumping up

BMW R100S oil galleys  - 1.jpeg

I would guess that crank snagging a bunch of oil like a honey spatula is NOT an issue

You guess right. But it's not about crank touching oil...it's about the air volume available for that crank to work in. Smaller volume, more whipping of the oil to go out the breather.

Back