• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Split in seat of my new F 850 GSA

smswy

How common is it for the seat fabric on a bike that is only 5 weeks old and 700 miles to start splitting? I am not that heavy, only weigh 175 lbs. Are there patch kits? Thanks, Stephen

Attachments

• 1BB863FF-4A83-4FD9-A17A-6F30649497ED.jpg
    1BB863FF-4A83-4FD9-A17A-6F30649497ED.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 3A18D098-16D6-4E13-AEF8-430BEDEE82B9.jpg
    3A18D098-16D6-4E13-AEF8-430BEDEE82B9.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 113
No patch kits, but there is a factory warranty. You might try that first.:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

If it's a split, warranty will replace it. Doesn't look like a split to me.

The edges look melted, not split or torn, with material missing in the middle of the hole. Sunlight focused by the windshield?

The edges look melted, not split or torn, with material missing in the middle of the hole. Sunlight focused by the windshield?

Thanks for your thoughts. The smallish windscreen could not possibly focus sunlight to this location. Plus, whenever the bike is out of the garage I am riding on it and this area is covered by my leg, except for the occasional 10-15 minute period off the bike to stretch.

If it's a split, warranty will replace it. Doesn't look like a split to me.
Thanks for your thoughts. The materials is definitely torn apart, whether or not that is classified as a split. You can see how the criss-crossing fabric line orientations deform over the tear.

Split in seat

Thanks for your thoughts. The materials is definitely torn apart, whether or not that is classified as a split. You can see how the criss-crossing fabric line orientations deform over the tear.

While it took some time and extra photos that the Sandy, Utah dealer requested (I think they wanted to see whether the entire seat was torn up, which it was not), BMW covered it under warranty and the dealer finally got the new low seat and shipped to me in Wyoming. They wanted the damaged seat and included a prepaid shipping label for me to use to ship to them in the same box the new seat came in.

Back