Thread: One of those days

One of those days

My goof off Friday started with awesome sunrise.

704D5D62-80BC-4963-8275-5E6C492594EC.jpeg

My plan was taking three bikes for annual inspection and renewal of plates, a ten mile round trip each run. Then riding the German Flag 1100S to Fredericksburg for GermanFest people watching and lunch. I had returned previous Saturday from a 3000 mile solo run to NM & CO including a stop at Hotchkiss Rally and was ready to get back on a bike after a week of not breaking camp or hoteling and gearing up.

The 1100 S had a set of tires scheduled to arrive Thursday and were delayed until today, the current set is ready, I had also ordered a battery when I ordered one for a bud preparing for his CO trip. The battery in this bike was a 2016 Odyssey, but still doing its job and rotated in charger dance in our shop. I rolled out at 9:30 with a smile. Stopped at bank and the ATM decided it was a good time to shut down with my card inside! I went inside after shutting bike off and spent a bit of time getting my card back and some cash for the day. Upon gearing up, hit the starter to have lights dim on display and nada
    Waited a few minutes, same result so a push start downhill looked like best plan.(my jump pack is in GSA side cases of course) Some bikes easier to mount when pushing and this one not one of them. After three tries I retreated to another wait. Luckily it had enough oomph to fire and I rode short distance to inspection station, leaving bike running and on my way home in short order. Fine, will wait on battery and tires and ride this one next week… Got on H’s 390 KTM and entertained passerby’s with my 6’1” frame on orange rocket. The inspector even chuckled when I rolled up….back to the house for the 690 big brother and my ride for the day.
    7EE4EA88-0D04-4044-B58F-67AD59C49CFA.jpeg
    Got it inspected, went to tax office for three stickers and off for well earned lunch. Riding the sub-500# bike after wrangling a loaded GSA for over a week brought a smile and some shenanigans. F’burg traffic already picking up for festival but my spot across street from the Pacific War Museum was winding down from lunch rush and had lunch served quickly. Had desire for some fries after eating healthier the past few weeks and tried the carnitas , red cabbage and cheese smothered treat

13731332-E16A-4A34-9C7F-A2906CA98818.jpg

Guilty but GOOD!
    Headed home with plan to return Saturday for festival walk around. Rode through Luckenbach and back on road to Blanco. TXDOT doing road repairs and sections of cheese grater asphalt had me wandering in lane, then it got worse! On next smooth curve I floated across lane again . Smile now gone!
    My analog tire pressure alarm went off in helmet and I glanced back to see low rear… seriously? Pulled onto a shaded side road to deal with issue. Had to laugh at having a flat on a newer tire and not the one I was worried about that decided for me not to ride. Popped a plug in , aired up and back to house.
    38A5ABD6-15C5-41ED-AAC4-7F4E840E28BB.jpeg

EFCA6B3C-12A5-44AB-9D09-5E5F9D9D9D2B.jpeg

EB32153A-4B93-47DE-B65F-70C6BFE3F09E.jpeg

. Now have wheel off KTM to patch internally , bodywork off of 11S( prob the most difficult model to change the battery for those who own one know) That’s when I saw the date on battery as well.

08BDB254-F109-41A9-8220-6FCB88414F3F.jpeg

BBE7A382-2B3A-4F12-AA50-FA0121765789.jpeg

Any ride a good ride, however, sometimes things just don’t go as planned. I asked H if she had been putting pins in my voodoo doll again!
    Steve Henson-Mod Team

No one gets out alive, Live accordingly!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Nice report Steve
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Some days you're the hammer and some days you're the nail.

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    Some days you're the hammer and some days you're the nail.
    Sometimes chicken, sometimes feathers!
    Steve Henson-Mod Team

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Not sure if I am just lucky, but every Oddessey battery I've had has lasted over 10 years.

Enjoyed your post.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom || '19 CB500X

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Not sure if I am just lucky, but every Oddessey battery I've had has lasted over 10 years.

Enjoyed your post.

Ian
    Texas heat is not kind to batteries.
    Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Texas heat is not kind to batteries.
    Neither is Wyoming, especially on a K100RS at a buck twenty. (But this is before Odyssey's time)...

Follow up, tires on and mounted, battery tomorrow. My luck continued it seems but maybe a good way. As I prepared to remove rear wheel, I did the wiggle wiggle to check pivot bearings and FD health… could lift paralever up about an inch in an odd feel. What?? The torque link I have never touched was loose at transmission! Really loose as in a few threads shy of losing the nut
    On this model, of course, the belly pan, Staintune exhaust mounts, and recessed outer bolt head of front mount for torque link required a thin 16 mm socket, and a tight box end for the exhaust bracket obstacle on the nut. Anyways, so glad I found that !
    This bike maybe gets 600 miles a year… its fun as all get out but it’s riding position and my aging body don’t do all day anymore. That and the paint job gets me pulled over a lot! “ you weren’t doing anything wrong, just wondering what the heck is that?”
    On batteries, since the oilhead charging system doesn’t do justice to the Odyssey’s preferred charging parameters, they just don’t last , though I had two to ten years as well. I know I can tweak the alternator, just rather ride it and rotate tenders. It had been cranking fine and ridden twice in the last month. I put it on big Odyssey charger and it went through all its conditioning showing good to go, will load test later, but it’s not going back under all the covering on the S
    Steve Henson-Mod Team

Nice summation of busy-ness, Hen'Z.

If there’s a fleet of bikes nearby, then there’s always something to deal with...

We’ve got electrical gremlins on the ’82 CS LED Clearwater lights;
    gotta change my rear tire on the R90S;
    after a 700 mile shakedown ride to NC, the F650 needs further attention;
    und di Vespa needs new rubber in the near future.

Enjoy all your eXcursions this fall!

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
    HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
    USN-Ret'd —--&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 F650GS-twin - '14 K-GT
    '82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
    ’08 CRF230L —--— ’09 KLX250S
    '16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L

Quote Originally Posted by HSVPhil View Post
    Nice summation of busy-ness, Hen'Z.

If there’s a fleet of bikes nearby, then there’s always something to deal with...
    Yeah, then there’s H’s F650 with front end off of it doing suspension renewal and such. Parts sitting there but just haven’t finished it
    Maybe tomorrow…
    Steve Henson-Mod Team