• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Has anyone done a video on an R18 valve check/adjustment yet?

Remember when BMW made service manuals available and talented people could use the info to produce how-to instructions and videos?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

OK, I'll bite. Why is adjusting the valves on an R18 any different than adjusting the valves on other BMW opposed twin engines?

My oh my, how in 1975 did we ever know how to adjust valves without a video?????

I bet it's very similar to a hexhead. Just need to know the clearances. Found this on the R18 forum. It's Russian, but it should give some idea.

OK, I'll bite. Why is adjusting the valves on an R18 any different than adjusting the valves on other BMW opposed twin engines?

My oh my, how in 1975 did we ever know how to adjust valves without a video?????

I have never done a valve adjustment on an engine like this and since there is no repair manual I was hoping there will be a video with the procedure and specs...

I will put out a video once I get to 6,000 miles. I agree with others, a service manual available to the public would be great.

I agree with others, a service manual available to the public would be great.

Someone will crack into the service info at a dealership and let the manual(s) loose onto the web. BMW will Boo-Hoo and possibly wake up to the fact that they could have been selling them.

The wildcard will be if a manual will really help with the amount of specialty tools and a computer to connect to the bike that seems to be increasingly needed.

OM

Someone will crack into the service info at a dealership and let the manual(s) loose onto the web. BMW will Boo-Hoo and possibly wake up to the fact that they could have been selling them.

The wildcard will be if a manual will really help with the amount of specialty tools and a computer to connect to the bike that seems to be increasingly needed.

OM

I support 100% publicly available service manuals. All of my my R18 videos so far HAVE been based on specs in the service manual for what it’s worth.

Valve Video

Paul,

Some of us do feel better with a service manual and video for certain tasks or adjustments, like valves. While some engines have a similar design, there can be various differences or design changes to be aware of. Torque settings for some things could be different. Certain videos have really helped me at times to make sure I am getting the procedure right-- valve adjustment, steering head bearing tightness adjustment....etc.

Some of you guys that have been working on these bikes a long time are pretty amazing and have a lot of it figured out. Some of us are not as sure about it and need a little help :) I do think the videos are really helpful and YES, we need the service manuals.

dp

I want a R18 very badly but refuse to buy a bike with no Service DVD.

I can not afford a BMW serviced bike.

I am sure you can glean enough information on services but not having verified service information will be a big issue if you have warranty work and it has never seen a dealer. IMHO it will be denied if you have not paid a dealer for service.

With 0% APR and 3K back it is a hell of a deal and the right time to buy one. I just cant give up a bike that I have had for 5 years and worked on and know, for a completely new motor with little to no information on service.

It is also why I do not want a 1250. While there is plenty of information on them and a few DVD's that are legal, most of the information is copied from those few. I just see a dealer telling you hey you never serviced your bike with BMW how did you do that? And you reply well I have information from the "Internet" I dont think you will win. Now if you have a copy of the rare OEM DVD for a 1250 then you may stand a chance. But with no updates they leave an out on those OEM DVD's saying they don't have the latest information as they are not updated.

It is a disgusting tactic for the dealers to remain the only service option. I guess after 3 years it dont matter as your warranty is out, but it is still a big thing to have no official documentation to keep your own bike.

I love my GS and have no need to change but I REALLY wanted a R18 and that is gone due to BMW and it's choice to screw it's customers and FORCE them into a dealer for service. IMHO a poor choice and will keep many people from buying a bike they can not work on. I mean people work on their own bikes for many reasons. Some don't have the money to pay a dealer 100+ dollars an hour for labor and the crazy price they charge for oil and parts. And some don't have a dealer for 500 miles. And many more of us love to turn a wrench and trust our own work more then a dealer tech.

It stinks BMW did this Money Grab and I think it is another factor people are going to turn away from BMW. I mean look at you local club and the ages of it's members. They are aging out a lot faster then they are getting 20 and 30 something year old young people into the local clubs to replace them. Just look around at any BMW rally and look at all us Gray Hairs.

I guess I did not need a R18 anyway.

I want a R18 very badly but refuse to buy a bike with no Service DVD.

I can not afford a BMW serviced bike.

I am sure you can glean enough information on services but not having verified service information will be a big issue if you have warranty work and it has never seen a dealer. IMHO it will be denied if you have not paid a dealer for service.

With 0% APR and 3K back it is a hell of a deal and the right time to buy one. I just cant give up a bike that I have had for 5 years and worked on and know, for a completely new motor with little to no information on service.

It is also why I do not want a 1250. While there is plenty of information on them and a few DVD's that are legal, most of the information is copied from those few. I just see a dealer telling you hey you never serviced your bike with BMW how did you do that? And you reply well I have information from the "Internet" I dont think you will win. Now if you have a copy of the rare OEM DVD for a 1250 then you may stand a chance. But with no updates they leave an out on those OEM DVD's saying they don't have the latest information as they are not updated.

It is a disgusting tactic for the dealers to remain the only service option. I guess after 3 years it dont matter as your warranty is out, but it is still a big thing to have no official documentation to keep your own bike.

I love my GS and have no need to change but I REALLY wanted a R18 and that is gone due to BMW and it's choice to screw it's customers and FORCE them into a dealer for service. IMHO a poor choice and will keep many people from buying a bike they can not work on. I mean people work on their own bikes for many reasons. Some don't have the money to pay a dealer 100+ dollars an hour for labor and the crazy price they charge for oil and parts. And some don't have a dealer for 500 miles. And many more of us love to turn a wrench and trust our own work more then a dealer tech.

It stinks BMW did this Money Grab and I think it is another factor people are going to turn away from BMW. I mean look at you local club and the ages of it's members. They are aging out a lot faster then they are getting 20 and 30 something year old young people into the local clubs to replace them. Just look around at any BMW rally and look at all us Gray Hairs.

I guess I did not need a R18 anyway.

Well said.

Some are of the view that newer bikes are too complicated for owners to work on. This is nonsense. Mechanically little has changed. Much of the coding can be done with a GS-911 and/or Motoscan. All one needs is an authoritative source of information and the willingness to learn. Working on one's own bike is an integral part of the ownership experience and inspires confidence when far from any dealership. BMW wants everyone to be an appliance rider and some here are content to be exactly that but for many BMW's decision is a total betrayal. The MOA should be conveying this strongly to BMW and providing leadership to other clubs to do the same.

Well said.

Some are of the view that newer bikes are too complicated for owners to work on. This is nonsense. Mechanically little has changed. Much of the coding can be done with a GS-911 and/or Motoscan. All one needs is an authoritative source of information and the willingness to learn. Working on one's own bike is an integral part of the ownership experience and inspires confidence when far from any dealership. BMW wants everyone to be an appliance rider and some here are content to be exactly that but for many BMW's decision is a total betrayal. The MOA should be conveying this strongly to BMW and providing leadership to other clubs to do the same.

Wrong thread, Radioflyer. I made a specific one for you...and your friends. :D

You’re tiring and not water :banghead
We got it, we know, it’s not going to change anything as explained more than once by continuing your dripping.
As mentioned before, helping others is a good thing and this isn’t that.

I don't have a video of it, but I adjusted the valves on mine and it was really simple. Need four feeler gauges, an Allen key to move the adjuster, and a wrench to open the adjustment nut. Torque wrench in inch lbs to lock them back again. Was really impressed by the build quality of the bike.

FYI, I used the R18 stand from Hornig to get the wheel off the ground to find TDC. I plan on keeping the bike for a long time so it will pencil out after a couple of services.

With how high you rev the bike generally (2-3K), I'm thinking this tank will go 200K no problem. We'll see!

I don't have a video of it, but I adjusted the valves on mine and it was really simple. Need four feeler gauges, an Allen key to move the adjuster, and a wrench to open the adjustment nut. Torque wrench in inch lbs to lock them back again. Was really impressed by the build quality of the bike.

FYI, I used the R18 stand from Hornig to get the wheel off the ground to find TDC. I plan on keeping the bike for a long time so it will pencil out after a couple of services.

With how high you rev the bike generally (2-3K), I'm thinking this tank will go 200K no problem. We'll see!

So the adjustments are like the old Oil-heads with 4 feeler gauges and the same tools.. That brings back some memories..:nod

Back