• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What Camera?

The "best" camera for bike travel is largely determined by what kind of photos you want, what conditions you travel under, and how much of a photographer you are (or might become) and would want to use this camera for non-riding activities. Much has changed in digital photography over the last twenty years. Certainly cell phone cameras are much better than they have ever been, and will fill the needs of many people. However, when talking about using your photos in more ways than posting on social media, they are out of their depth technologically. If you can describe your intended use in more detail, that would help me with helping you. Thanks!

I’ve got a D7000 that I’ve had for many years. I’m thinking about a D850, but it is bulky, and I understand they’re thinking about discontinuing it anyway. Space is a premium so I’ve even been considering the Leica Q2. And you can see by my posts here, I very seldom post photos. I'll be interested in your response. Thanks for the good question.

E.

Last edited:
oh yeah

My favorite photo taken on a trip (Colorado) thanks to having a full frame camera + low light lens in my tank bag:
50309177806_8831a44203_b.jpg

That is a beautiful photo.

Smartphones are good for about 80% of situations you’ll encounter on the road. As a serious amateur photographer I’m still not convinced that that is all I ever need. I do have two Fuji digital SLRs that I take on hikes and driving trips, but for a motorcycle trip I carry an Olympus Tough camera. They’re shockproof and waterproof and about the size of a smartphone (but a little thicker) but have many features and options of a serious camera- fast 2.0 lens, 12 megapixels, etc.
View attachment 89485

Excellent choice! I have traveled with a Tough series Olympus since that model hit the market some years ago. Currently using the TG-6. I sold a prior TG-4 to a college who used it on a bicycle tour of India and he produced some outstanding videos. https://getolympus.com/tough-tg-6.html

IMHO, the "best" camera is the one you carry with you everywhere. I used to carry small digital cameras, and before that small film cameras. I always had a "nice" camera (Pentax guy here), but recently, the advances in phone camera tech is amazing. I only shoot with my iPhone 12 Mini. It also shoots 4K video at high frame rates, the camera also has multiple modes to help do things like shoot portraits, landscapes or the like.

It's a stunning bit of kit and the biggest advantage it has over other cameras is that I almost always have it handy.

I finally made a decision on a new camera, and it only took me a year and several months. :) I got a Nikon Z 7II. Contrary to all my pervious cameras it is mirrorless, which makes it smaller and lighter so it is easier to pack for long trips. I got it with the 24-70/4 S lens. So far I'm very pleased, but I still carry my trusty iPhone 12. When I'm well enough to get out of the house, and take some photos of the bike I'll post them.

Last edited:
As kbasa said, the best camera is the one you have with you, but that might not be the best camera you could have. If you really want to get quality images you have to have a real digital camera with interchangeable lenses. Phone cameras are amazing for what they are, but they don't have real optical zoom lenses with significant reach, most are *not* water and dust resistant, and their tiny sensor can only capture a limited amount of image data. The company making the most environmentally hardened interchangeable lens cameras is OM System (formerly Olympus). Most of their camera bodies and lenses have been weather proof for over a decade, and now their newest bodies - the OM-1 and OM-5 (plus several lenses) are IP53 rated - better than any other interchangeable lens cameras. They are small, with compact lenses and produce stunning images. They pioneered mirrorless cameras almost two decades ago (along with Panasonic Lumix) and have the best image stabilization going and a host of amazing computational features. If you don't want to spend the $$ for new, their earlier pro-grade bodies (E-M1 Mk II, and Mk III) have many of these same features and are available at really great prices - much like many used BMW bikes.

This just reminded me to do a recharge cycle on my Lumix batteries.
I don’t use it much anymore as the phone is almost always more convenient.
It is still a great, small, rough-n-tumble camera.
OM

Thanks to all of the good people who sent in advice. I've learned a lot about cameras in the last year. The diverse wealth of information, and the willingness to share is what makes this club stand out among others.

E.

Back