• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What Camera?

easy

Cameras have changed so much lately that I'm interested in what type, and brand of cameras all of you use while on your bike trips, and why. Also, what lens, or additional lens, do you frequently use.

Since space is at a premium on long bike trips how is it, and any extra lens, packed?

If this question been asked before, please direct me, and disregard the thread.

Thanks,
E.

Cameras have changed so much lately that I'm interested in what type, and brand of cameras all of you use while on your bike trips, and why. Also, what lens, or additional lens, do you frequently use.

Since space is at a premium on long bike trips how is it, and any extra lens, packed?

Thanks,
E.

First I gave up my big, film SLR. Then I gave up my big Nikon digital with 10x zoom lens. Then I gave up my medium sized Panasonic digital carried on a lanyard around my neck. Then I gave up my water proof mini-digital point and shoot. Now I take all of my photos with my iPhone 11. The phone takes better pictures than any of those cameras. Voni has an iPhone 12 Pro which has even better zoom and wide angle abilities.

Canon Powershot SX740

Until fresh 35mm slide film got hard to find, I carried a backpack full of Canon gear and related accouterments. Nothing I had since satisfied me until I got the Powershot. It amazes me with versatility and quality. The zooms, both mechanical and digital along with image stabilization features blow me away. For example, the airplane in this photo was a small bit with my naked eyes, but the camera caught a clear image of the plane from a mile or so away. I captured a number of amazing images like this.

escaping-criminal-April-27-2016-125x150.jpg

Thanks,
E.

The "best" camera for bike travel is largely determined by what kind of photos you want, what conditions you travel under, and how much of a photographer you are (or might become) and would want to use this camera for non-riding activities. Much has changed in digital photography over the last twenty years. Certainly cell phone cameras are much better than they have ever been, and will fill the needs of many people. However, when talking about using your photos in more ways than posting on social media, they are out of their depth technologically. If you can describe your intended use in more detail, that would help me with helping you. Thanks!

I'm still dragging my Nikon D7200 DSLR with two lenses (18-300mm & 12-24mm) wherever I travel. Like Voni Glaves I also have an iPhone 12 which takes excellent photos. That said, too many years and about 25,000 photos with the D7200 make it a sure thing in my hands.

Ted Dunlap's shot of an aircraft reminded me of one I photographed in 2021. I think it was flying at about 30,000 feet.

2021-04-13_17-49-09_910.jpeg

Most people use smartphones now. I still see a full frame SLR in my tank bag with a 23-70 lens and a 70-200 in my tail bag. Have never had a camera issue with that setup and it's always with me. That setup isn't for everyone but Ive never gotten home, imported photos and regretted having that camera on my trip. It was in my truck and camp site all weekend and it's next to me now.

Photos taken last night, iPhone 14 Pro Max in RAW:

eb8QJdW.jpeg

same time, lighting, scene, Canon 5D

Cwk73YN.jpeg

I know what photo I prefer looking at. The iPhone is a very good camera for its size but having a weather sealed professional camera with me full time for the last 15 years is something I'll probably NEVER give up. the physics of smartphone cameras are just never going to be there.

Nowadays, I also carry a drone:
HYa4uRO.jpeg

sR8boaM.jpeg

Check out the Waterproof Fuji XP-140 Point and Shoot

2022_0831_13384400-X3.jpg

Taken "on the fly" North of Stanley ID, Sawtooth Mountains in the background.

I'm still dragging my Nikon D7200 DSLR with two lenses (18-300mm & 12-24mm) wherever I travel. Like Voni Glaves I also have an iPhone 12 which takes excellent photos. That said, too many years and about 25,000 photos with the D7200 make it a sure thing in my hands.

Ted Dunlap's shot of an aircraft reminded me of one I photographed in 2021. I think it was flying at about 30,000 feet.

View attachment 89428

I am impressed with the zoom and image stabilization you must have to get that clarity in your shot.

I am impressed with the zoom and image stabilization you must have to get that clarity in your shot.

Thanks Ted. I was living near Boston at the time, sitting on the back deck of my house on a very clear day. That photo was hand-held. I saw that Emirates plane zipping along and decided to give it a try. I'm sure I had the D7200 set to auto-stabilization and manual focus. FWIW, I've attempted lots of aircraft photos, but everything worked out on this one.

FWIW, if planes flying overhead are an interest, there is an iPhone app named: "flightradar24" It's a free app, and whenever I hear a plane passing by, I light up the app and see where it's headed, where it started, its altitude and ground speed, its tail number and sometimes the owner. Usually there's a photo of the A/C. I guess you can tell...I'm retired...

Between I-Phone 12,13 or 14 or whatever and GoPro 9,10,11 , there isn’t much more one really needs in the photography department unless you are shooting for National Geographic or Nature… I still have some of my old gear but when a mobile phone has better capabilities then a dedicated camera that is so much more $$$/pixel, it’s time to switch IMHO. Who has the space on a bike for all that gear anyway?? YMMV

Between I-Phone 12,13 or 14 or whatever and GoPro 9,10,11 , there isn’t much more one really needs in the photography department unless you are shooting for National Geographic or Nature… I still have some of my old gear but when a mobile phone has better capabilities then a dedicated camera that is so much more $$$/pixel, it’s time to switch IMHO. Who has the space on a bike for all that gear anyway?? YMMV

I find the phone camera hard to use with gloves on and the shutter to be slow to react to the press or the voice command.
I can use my Point & Shoot with my gloves on. YMMV

I find the phone camera hard to use with gloves on and the shutter to be slow to react to the press or the voice command.
I can use my Point & Shoot with my gloves on. YMMV

I agree that gloves hamper the phone operation even if they have those touchpads on them. That’s why I use my GoPro on the run and the phone for when I’m at my destination. The GoPro 10 makes good photos you can take from the video clips while riding. I have some cool pics in my library this way…

It all depends on what type of photography you want to do.
Cell phone 90% of the time, a big DSLR if I'm in no rush.
I'm of the Android persuasion and have a mid range Samsung A53. Most recent mid or top of the line cell phones have excellent cameras.

What's missing is a point and shoot camera for action shots while riding.
I'm not confident enough to use a camera in the twisties or on dirt roads.

I agree that gloves hamper the phone operation even if they have those touchpads on them. That’s why I use my GoPro on the run and the phone for when I’m at my destination. The GoPro 10 makes good photos you can take from the video clips while riding. I have some cool pics in my library this way…

Is your GoPro mounted on the bike or your helmet, or just hand held?

Check out the Waterproof Fuji XP-140 Point and Shoot

2022_0831_13384400-X3.jpg

Taken "on the fly" North of Stanley ID, Sawtooth Mountains in the background.

I use point and shoots as I have been known to drop one or three :eek
I had a Fuji XP for a few seasons until…. Well, another Fuji… guess the Panasonic was the last victim
It’s rare to pull phone out on the fly, but have videoed when my antique GoPro is not charged or I forget it’s mounted!
I take a lot of Just Ridin’ riding pics, one out of five usually keepers.

AD009BBE-58E2-4A36-BC42-F026F76DE389.jpeg

Smartphones are good for about 80% of situations you’ll encounter on the road. As a serious amateur photographer I’m still not convinced that that is all I ever need. I do have two Fuji digital SLRs that I take on hikes and driving trips, but for a motorcycle trip I carry an Olympus Tough camera. They’re shockproof and waterproof and about the size of a smartphone (but a little thicker) but have many features and options of a serious camera- fast 2.0 lens, 12 megapixels, etc.
B08D1EB9-7B95-496A-9211-E79AB55E0648.jpeg

Back