Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Camera?

What Camera?

Cameras have changed so much lately that I'm interested in what type, and brand of cameras all of you use while on your bike trips, and why. Also, what lens, or additional lens, do you frequently use.

Since space is at a premium on long bike trips how is it, and any extra lens, packed?

If this question been asked before, please direct me, and disregard the thread.

Thanks,
    E.

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    Cameras have changed so much lately that I'm interested in what type, and brand of cameras all of you use while on your bike trips, and why. Also, what lens, or additional lens, do you frequently use.

Since space is at a premium on long bike trips how is it, and any extra lens, packed?

Thanks,
    E.
    First I gave up my big, film SLR. Then I gave up my big Nikon digital with 10x zoom lens. Then I gave up my medium sized Panasonic digital carried on a lanyard around my neck. Then I gave up my water proof mini-digital point and shoot. Now I take all of my photos with my iPhone 11. The phone takes better pictures than any of those cameras. Voni has an iPhone 12 Pro which has even better zoom and wide angle abilities.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Canon Powershot SX740

Until fresh 35mm slide film got hard to find, I carried a backpack full of Canon gear and related accouterments. Nothing I had since satisfied me until I got the Powershot. It amazes me with versatility and quality. The zooms, both mechanical and digital along with image stabilization features blow me away. For example, the airplane in this photo was a small bit with my naked eyes, but the camera caught a clear image of the plane from a mile or so away. I captured a number of amazing images like this.

escaping-criminal-April-27-2016-125x150.jpg
    SW Montana (Bitterrooter) day tripper
    09 BMW R1200RT-P
    02 BMW R1150RS, some assembly required
    12 Suzuki DRZ400S, needs more than a little lowering to be a useful runabout

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post

Thanks,
    E.
    The "best" camera for bike travel is largely determined by what kind of photos you want, what conditions you travel under, and how much of a photographer you are (or might become) and would want to use this camera for non-riding activities. Much has changed in digital photography over the last twenty years. Certainly cell phone cameras are much better than they have ever been, and will fill the needs of many people. However, when talking about using your photos in more ways than posting on social media, they are out of their depth technologically. If you can describe your intended use in more detail, that would help me with helping you. Thanks!
    Greg Feeler
    Member at large
    Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

I'm still dragging my Nikon D7200 DSLR with two lenses (18-300mm & 12-24mm) wherever I travel. Like Voni Glaves I also have an iPhone 12 which takes excellent photos. That said, too many years and about 25,000 photos with the D7200 make it a sure thing in my hands.

Ted Dunlap's shot of an aircraft reminded me of one I photographed in 2021. I think it was flying at about 30,000 feet.

2021-04-13_17-49-09_910.jpeg
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Most people use smartphones now. I still see a full frame SLR in my tank bag with a 23-70 lens and a 70-200 in my tail bag. Have never had a camera issue with that setup and it's always with me. That setup isn't for everyone but Ive never gotten home, imported photos and regretted having that camera on my trip. It was in my truck and camp site all weekend and it's next to me now.

Photos taken last night, iPhone 14 Pro Max in RAW:

same time, lighting, scene, Canon 5D

I know what photo I prefer looking at. The iPhone is a very good camera for its size but having a weather sealed professional camera with me full time for the last 15 years is something I'll probably NEVER give up. the physics of smartphone cameras are just never going to be there.

Nowadays, I also carry a drone:

Social Media, Newsletter, YouTube | BMWMOA Lifetime Member | MOA Board Secretary | MOA Regional Coordinator | Vermont BMW Club Vice President

Check out the Waterproof Fuji XP-140 Point and Shoot

Taken "on the fly" North of Stanley ID, Sawtooth Mountains in the background.
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    I'm still dragging my Nikon D7200 DSLR with two lenses (18-300mm & 12-24mm) wherever I travel. Like Voni Glaves I also have an iPhone 12 which takes excellent photos. That said, too many years and about 25,000 photos with the D7200 make it a sure thing in my hands.

Ted Dunlap's shot of an aircraft reminded me of one I photographed in 2021. I think it was flying at about 30,000 feet.

2021-04-13_17-49-09_910.jpeg
    I am impressed with the zoom and image stabilization you must have to get that clarity in your shot.
    SW Montana (Bitterrooter) day tripper
    09 BMW R1200RT-P
    02 BMW R1150RS, some assembly required
    12 Suzuki DRZ400S, needs more than a little lowering to be a useful runabout

Quote Originally Posted by teddunlap View Post
    I am impressed with the zoom and image stabilization you must have to get that clarity in your shot.
    Thanks Ted. I was living near Boston at the time, sitting on the back deck of my house on a very clear day. That photo was hand-held. I saw that Emirates plane zipping along and decided to give it a try. I'm sure I had the D7200 set to auto-stabilization and manual focus. FWIW, I've attempted lots of aircraft photos, but everything worked out on this one.

FWIW, if planes flying overhead are an interest, there is an iPhone app named: "flightradar24" It's a free app, and whenever I hear a plane passing by, I light up the app and see where it's headed, where it started, its altitude and ground speed, its tail number and sometimes the owner. Usually there's a photo of the A/C. I guess you can tell...I'm retired...
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Between I-Phone 12,13 or 14 or whatever and GoPro 9,10,11 , there isnít much more one really needs in the photography department unless you are shooting for National Geographic or NatureÖ I still have some of my old gear but when a mobile phone has better capabilities then a dedicated camera that is so much more $$$/pixel, itís time to switch IMHO. Who has the space on a bike for all that gear anyway?? YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, Ď17 R1200RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teddunlap View Post
    John is really accomplished with his camera.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    Between I-Phone 12,13 or 14 or whatever and GoPro 9,10,11 , there isnít much more one really needs in the photography department unless you are shooting for National Geographic or NatureÖ I still have some of my old gear but when a mobile phone has better capabilities then a dedicated camera that is so much more $$$/pixel, itís time to switch IMHO. Who has the space on a bike for all that gear anyway?? YMMV
    I find the phone camera hard to use with gloves on and the shutter to be slow to react to the press or the voice command.
    I can use my Point & Shoot with my gloves on. YMMV
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    I find the phone camera hard to use with gloves on and the shutter to be slow to react to the press or the voice command.
    I can use my Point & Shoot with my gloves on. YMMV
    I agree that gloves hamper the phone operation even if they have those touchpads on them. Thatís why I use my GoPro on the run and the phone for when Iím at my destination. The GoPro 10 makes good photos you can take from the video clips while riding. I have some cool pics in my library this wayÖ
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, Ď17 R1200RT

It all depends on what type of photography you want to do.
    Cell phone 90% of the time, a big DSLR if I'm in no rush.
    I'm of the Android persuasion and have a mid range Samsung A53. Most recent mid or top of the line cell phones have excellent cameras.

What's missing is a point and shoot camera for action shots while riding.
    I'm not confident enough to use a camera in the twisties or on dirt roads.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT, '18 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    I agree that gloves hamper the phone operation even if they have those touchpads on them. Thatís why I use my GoPro on the run and the phone for when Iím at my destination. The GoPro 10 makes good photos you can take from the video clips while riding. I have some cool pics in my library this wayÖ
    Is your GoPro mounted on the bike or your helmet, or just hand held?
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT, '18 GSA