• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New key fob sync problem!

Lost a spare key and fob and have since replaced both! Trouble is I cannot sync the new fob! I have spent over 2 hours following the 2016 R1200RT riders manual and have had no luck! My bike just does not seem to recognize the new fob! Syncing works OK with the old fob! I wonder if the frequency might have changed since 2016? Any help out there?:ca

Check this video out. What isn't said is you should wedge your plastic key [or use a bit of tape to hold it] so you can hold the fob in place as shown and have a hand free to start the bike.

Programming A Fob

Lost a spare key and fob and have since replaced both! Trouble is I cannot sync the new fob! I have spent over 2 hours following the 2016 R1200RT riders manual and have had no luck! My bike just does not seem to recognize the new fob! Syncing works OK with the old fob! I wonder if the frequency might have changed since 2016? Any help out there?:ca

A friend, a fellow Canadian, had an issue with his fob/antenna in the US. It turned out that US bikes use a different frequency than Canadian bikes.

Went into my dealer with my FOBs and let them sync them both! 1/2 hour on their computer and $84.00 later I was on my way home! The mechanic (technician?) said they had to be done with the shop computer!:ca

Methinks "technician" speaks with forked tongue.

Makes me wonder whether I need to clear the programming on my spare and take it to the dealer to have it programmed - correctly. :dunno

Not rocket science.

If it's programmed by me, and works, I believe the "technician" isn't necessary to program it.

When I hear a "technician" is necessary to perform a simple task I've handled myself, I have to question the knowledge of those that promote the need for a "technician" and why they make that claim.

That said, you are absolutely accurate that they don't even make good paperweights if not programmed correctly....

Not rocket science.

If it's programmed by me, and works, I believe the "technician" isn't necessary to program it.

When I hear a "technician" is necessary to perform a simple task I've handled myself, I have to question the knowledge of those that promote the need for a "technician" and why they make that claim.

That said, you are absolutely accurate that they don't even make good paperweights if not programmed correctly....

“Technician” seems to be the “foofafied” term for a mechanic. It seems like a lot of leeway in the moniker “Technician”. :dunno
OM

Went into my dealer with my FOBs and let them sync them both! 1/2 hour on their computer and $84.00 later I was on my way home! The mechanic (technician?) said they had to be done with the shop computer!:ca

Must be different in Canada!
keylessrideRFkey.jpg

This came with FOB and worked fine for me on 2017 R1200GSA and 2021 R1250RT. :scratch

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to share with those of us that tried to help you exactly what you have a fob for, if not keyless ride. Maybe a photo of your ignition. Note that "keyless ride" doesn't necessarily mean totally keyless. It is still keyless if you use the fob for the ignition but flip out the key the bags.

Do you have a fob as shown above? If so, what is it used for? If not, what kind of fob are you talking about.

One problem with asking for assistance with a bike on a forum is often a lack of complete data for us to help you. It appears that is the case here.

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to share with those of us that tried to help you exactly what you have a fob for, if not keyless ride. Maybe a photo of your ignition. Note that "keyless ride" doesn't necessarily mean totally keyless. It is still keyless if you use the fob for the ignition but flip out the key the bags.

Do you have a fob as shown above? If so, what is it used for? If not, what kind of fob are you talking about.

One problem with asking for assistance with a bike on a forum is often a lack of complete data for us to help you. It appears that is the case here.

I had a 14R1200RT, they only came with a key but it also had a fob for central locking and alarm setting, you'll find this in any 14 forward RT manual. This option is still available.

Steve good to see you posting, you helped me a few times on the IBMWR group.

Last edited:
I had a 14R1200RT, they only came with a key but it also had a fob for central locking and alarm setting, you'll find this in any 14 forward RT manual. This option is still available.

Steve good to see you posting, you helped me a few times on the IBMWR group.
Good to hear I was able to help you.

As to the different fobs/uses, that's exactly the info that was needed to try to help the OP. As noted, tough to help when you only have half the information about the problem.

Back