Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1985 r100rs

Quote Originally Posted by TEDZEMLICKA View Post
    I've had a K bike, 3 oilheads, and 3 camheads, so it time for an airhead. I'm going to look at a 1985 R100RS at a local auction. 49,000 miles with a dead battery. It seems they would want it to run to boost bids.
    What can I check with it not running? My current plan is:
    Cables
    Tires
    Brakes and fluid
    Play in the rear wheel
    Look in the fuel tank for rust, crud, etc
    Remove the saddle and check that area
    Look for any bad wiring

The estate is also selling a couple Harleys and a dirt bike, so they were a rider.

read the plugs. Bring small tools , they look less threatening.
    if the vibe is right, dont ask.

Turn it over with the back wheel in high gear w/ plugs pulled.
    rotate fore & back wards, & play guess-what-clunked . A Mechanic's Steth-o-scope helps.
    just go slowly and be sensitive ......................... its a frickin wake, for gosh sakes ...

bring a flashlight to peer in the holes to scope the piston crowns & better yet the valve lips.
    I look weird in public with a flashlight / magnifying headset ,but they get the job done.

they didnt crank it over, cos they dont know how , or just dont care about the Dearly Departed barn child.
    so bring a battery & try crank it over, Dr. Frankenstein

Your own-battery shows commitment . To an asylum, according to that bike list above , seeing as you're still shopping around.
    Sometimes I have to remind the ol'lady what a remarkable estate sale she can have, too, if only I get just this one more

wiring is always cheap & easy. til its not

YES flashlight the tank interior (or, use a lighter to look in there & pick it up , after parole, at the fire insurance auction , really c'heaped.
    I dropped $500 saving the paint on a failed-liner tank , at GTL , Worth every smile-per-gallon (good job guys !) , but still ...

hover non-descriptly but territorially ( not showering that morning always helped me RE: establishing elbow room while bidding ...)
    and mutter , to no one in particular, "man that harley sure is a sweet deal" every time somebody oggles the RS

Keep perspective; If this match was meant to be , great! I wish the two of you 2-valve double happiness !
    If not,
    chase it down and pass it like, real bad , on the K

naturally tell us what it costed, and post pix or it didnt happen

bmw rs - 1.jpeg
    ?
    Last edited by gtgt_bangbang; 10-01-2022 at 08:29 AM.

Is there a "golden era" of airheads I should steer toward?
    yeah all of em

It's an online auction and the chance to see it was today.
    They wouldn't let me pull a spark plug and the battery is dead. Took a flashlight and this is what I found:
    Opened the throttle and released it, about 4 seconds for it to close.
    The fuel tank was dry. No evidence of sludge or rust.
    On the center stand, it shifts through all of the gears.
    I could turn the rear wheel over by hand in 5th gear but not in 1st. Could feel the compression stroke.
    Is the side stand supposed to be almost impossible to use?
    Exhaust pipes aren't carboned up.
    Oil was clean.
    Oil on the bottom of the sump, dry everywhere else.
    Driveshaft boot was dry.
    Front brake master cylinder reservoir was dry.
    The key didn't work in the ignition, fuel cap, or fork lock. It did rotate 90 degrees in the seat lock.
    I'm 6'2", so a bit of a monkey humping a football syndrome on this bike.
    I'll keep disciplined in my bidding.
    It green, with a green and yellow roundel? Kind of neat.

It's an online auction and the chance to see it was today.
    They wouldn't let me pull a spark plug and the battery is dead. Bummer but normies are funny that way

Opened the throttle and released it, about 4 seconds for it to close. . The bing IS a CV, bellows topped carb, dampened action.

The fuel tank was dry. No evidence of sludge or rust. Nice. Very nice

I could turn the rear wheel over by hand in 5th gear but not in 1st. Could feel the compression stroke. As normal as the test allows. Turing engine in lower gears is supposed to be a PITA, more compression/power strokes per wheel revolution. Makes sense when you think it out

Is the side stand supposed to be almost impossible to use? Yes. aber , wir bei bmw denken das... ..... The fail-safe side-stand is AKA crash bars, or aftermarket

Exhaust pipes aren't carboned up. Nothing like stickin a finger up it to mark territory, still I am troubled by the monkey reference below

Oil was clean. Oil on the bottom of the sump, dry everywhere else. Driveshaft boot was dry. All in good time. Not particularly leakers

Front brake master cylinder reservoir was dry. Kits are cheap, deeper reapir possible. Dry may be better than rotty grotty fluid in it

The key didn't work in the ignition, fuel cap, or fork lock. It did rotate 90 degrees in the seat lock. Not good, maybe spendy to bring all to single key, but a clanking key chain makes the man. There are hacks to make most of the locks work with less tumblers, if you really want to go simple

I'm 6'2", so a bit of a monkey humping a football syndrome on this bike. [B]HUH? IMO these are decently big bikes , if without a ideal place for hiway pegs. Maybe it was lowered for a orangutan rocking rear sets. Bar risers do a lot. Im 6'4 and always have to stretch a street bike to fit.

I'll keep disciplined in my bidding.
    It green, with a green and yellow roundel? Kind of neat. previous owner probably shopped Etsy a lot.

Rs

The R100RS bikes were BMW's lowest handle bar equipped bikes at the time. I am also 6'2" and 300lbs. I have mine and love it except I am getting older, and the low down head up riding position can sometimes cause a sore neck. K75S bars have been known to be installed to improve things. Really at speed the problem is not so bad, it is when in town traffic going slow and there is less wind pressure on the head and shoulders to help.

The only other complaint I have about the low narrow bars is the bike can be a royal bitch to move around when off the bike like in my garage putting it on the lift or on and off the center stand, moving it from place to place. Not bad when in the saddle both feet paddling standing on the side, another is another story.

OKAY, you have a bike for sale, you can't start and test ride, not a problem if you get it for the RIGHT price, and if you need to do a lot of work, you can do the work your self. Don't let people blow sunshine your way, it can get very expensive to get a bike running while I have not been burned personally, I have seen more than a dozen fellows the past two years get rapidly drained of wallet when they bought bikes and found hidden surprises.

LOL, is is very easy to write and say go for it! When I am not the one who will be paying for it. Maybe I am weird but I HATE seeing people buy airheads and get burned, it ruins what could be a great experience of motorcycling. Not to say you will be burned... St.

This may sound evil but I plan to keep a low enough bit that if it is a turd I could part it out.
    Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the nose, right?

Ouch!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Parts

LOL, I have seen many a project turned into parts and sold. Sad, but sometimes the best way to go. St.

I'll try keep disciplined in my bidding on this bike. Is there a "golden era" of airheads I should steer toward?
    1984 was it. Unchanged from 1983, so ...

When the RS returned in 1987 it had a new frame and K-bike wheels and brakes and front suspension and valve recession problem addressed. It's a better bike, but the smaller 18-inch front wheel doesn't aesthetically match the fairing, which was designed assuming the 19-in wheel. To address the valve problem, BMW reverted to heads with smaller valves and consequently fitted smaller carburetors (in USA). The revised electrical system meant all the electrics were removed from the headlight and room was then required under the tank, which consequently has smaller fuel capacity. It was the first Airhead where BMW approved fitting a top box, a very small one at that. Also the first Airhead with wheels suitable for tubeless tires.

BTW, in 1984 some special paint job R100, R100CS, R100RS and R100RT were labeled "Last Edition." Clearly this is a clue there were no 1985s.

Airheads were "facelifted'' for 1981 and again when returned in 1987. Pre 1981 facelift bikes are IMHO farm equipment and not nearly as desirable.

Airheads do not have "bad wiring." The wiring disaster that accompanies Oilheads is the result of new German legislation requiring auto parts be biodegradable. This happened in the 1990s, and all Airheads are prior to that. Many Airheads will also have their original rubber brake hoses, something seldom said regarding Oilheads.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

Alas, the bidding has surpassed my threshold of comfort based upon my review of its condition. Being only 17 miles away was a motivation for my interest in it. I'll keep looking, primarily for an RT.
    Thanks for the advise encouragement put forth.
    (There a 2 Harleys which aren't getting much attention. Been there, done that)

So much for discipline, I dropped a bid at the end a little over my limit and won. Time to dig out the Matt Parkhurst articles.

Pictures?
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Afraid I lack the skill to attach pictures. It's green with the snowflake wheels.

Sweet! RS revivals all around! I just got this one running. Parked since 1985(!!!!):

It's borrowing wheels and brakes from my /6 for now.

Afraid I lack the skill to attach pictures. It's green with the snowflake wheels.
    how GREEN ? ( paid what ?) DMV tax lady don't read this site, you can tell the Truth