• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1985 r100rs

This may sound evil but I plan to keep a low enough bit that if it is a turd I could part it out.
Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the nose, right?

I'll try keep disciplined in my bidding on this bike. Is there a "golden era" of airheads I should steer toward?

1984 was it. Unchanged from 1983, so ...

When the RS returned in 1987 it had a new frame and K-bike wheels and brakes and front suspension and valve recession problem addressed. It's a better bike, but the smaller 18-inch front wheel doesn't aesthetically match the fairing, which was designed assuming the 19-in wheel. To address the valve problem, BMW reverted to heads with smaller valves and consequently fitted smaller carburetors (in USA). The revised electrical system meant all the electrics were removed from the headlight and room was then required under the tank, which consequently has smaller fuel capacity. It was the first Airhead where BMW approved fitting a top box, a very small one at that. Also the first Airhead with wheels suitable for tubeless tires.

BTW, in 1984 some special paint job R100, R100CS, R100RS and R100RT were labeled "Last Edition." Clearly this is a clue there were no 1985s.

Airheads were "facelifted'' for 1981 and again when returned in 1987. Pre 1981 facelift bikes are IMHO farm equipment and not nearly as desirable.

Airheads do not have "bad wiring." The wiring disaster that accompanies Oilheads is the result of new German legislation requiring auto parts be biodegradable. This happened in the 1990s, and all Airheads are prior to that. Many Airheads will also have their original rubber brake hoses, something seldom said regarding Oilheads.

Alas, the bidding has surpassed my threshold of comfort based upon my review of its condition. Being only 17 miles away was a motivation for my interest in it. I'll keep looking, primarily for an RT.
Thanks for the advise encouragement put forth.
(There a 2 Harleys which aren't getting much attention. Been there, done that)

So much for discipline, I dropped a bid at the end a little over my limit and won. Time to dig out the Matt Parkhurst articles.

Sweet! RS revivals all around! I just got this one running. Parked since 1985(!!!!):

Elsa69-L.jpg

It's borrowing wheels and brakes from my /6 for now.

A friend reminded me I'm colorblind, it's actually gray. Holy cow!
I paid $1700, $200 more than my planned limit. Being an online auction, I bring it home Monday. It'll go right on the lift table for exploratory surgery.

If I did it correctly there should be 2 pictures in this posting.

Attachments

• img.jpeg
    img.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 29
  • img (1).jpeg
    img (1).jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 30
Back