• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 R1200RT reduced fuel economy

nyfty

I track fuel economy on every tank of fuel that goes through my 2017 R1200RT. While it's never met the standards that BMW claims, I usually average between 42 - 45 mpg riding long interstate distances here in the great plains. Just last week my average fell to 35 - 38 mpg. I know this isn't a closed course test. But the loading of the cycle with a solo rider is the same. Also scheduled maintenance is up to date. When I returned home I scanned for error codes using my GS911. Only one was present, Tank Switch Error. Can someone explain what this code means? I have attached a screen shot of the results.Fault Code.jpg

The only "tank switch" I can think of would be an interlock or sensor on the tank's gas cap - is that closing properly and securely? If it isn't, maybe ordinary evaporation and/or airflow is wasting your gas, or a faulty switch?

That "Tank Switch Error" along with Sirius XM Antenna Open and a couple of transitory nuisance codes are just that...clear them unless you really are not getting the radio to work or you think there is a significant problem with your gas tank latching mechanism.

One off's are not something to get concerned about and can be the result of many, many different factors...none of which can be diagnosed or troubleshot thru any forum or board.

This is very similar to any effort you have to go on a diet and loose weight....don't get on the scales every day to see how you are doing.

Sorry, this is not a solution, but the philosophy of ownership is up to every individual and trying to solicit advice on a forum is too much like getting on social media to post your daily coffee selection.

During the accumulation of mileage getting close to scheduled maintenance is always a time to access whether you could enjoy some better performance/ride satisfaction by doing the service early.

Replacing the plugs alone could be the solution to this issue, but like they say, everyone has an opinion.

Gas stations are switching to winter blend gas, but that alone would usually only account for about a 1.5-2.0% drop in mileage.

Five fill ups over two days. Traveling in Iowa mostly at Iowa’s interstate speed limit. With about 60 miles of Iowa two lane at 55 mph.

That rules out a bad batch of gas or accidentally getting E85.
Three different times we got some weird gas and both bikes dropped their gas mileage by 8 to 10 mpg.
No change in our speed, the wind speed or wind direction. Next tank-full our mileage went back up.

With five fill ups over two days something is up.

Back