• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dunlop TrailMax Mission Tires

bobs_one

I have had Michelin Adventure and Michelin Anakee Wilds on my 2107 GSA and didn't like either. The Adventures wore really fast (I got about 5,000 miles out of them) and really cupped even before that. The Wilds seem to work ok off road, but frankly were so noisy on road that I took them off after about 1,00 miles.

So, I went looking for somehting to replace them with and decided to try Dunlop TrailMax Missions based on favorable reviews. One reviewer referred to them as 60-60 tires as they seem to excell both on road and off road and they are supposed to last.

Well, after 6,500 miles I can tell you (a) they last - you'd still almost think they were new; and (b) they work extremely well. I've done most of my riding with them on pavement and they are great in the twisties and on super slab - their noise level is lower than the Pilot 4's I had on my RT. I've (unfortunately) also been through a couple of horrible rainstorms with them and they inspired a great deal of confidence and worked very well. I've also done a bunch of dirt roads and really liked them. I've only done a little bit of sand and mud and they are no worse than the Anakee Wilds.

Overall, I am very impressed with them and am recomending them to friends and I will buy them again. The best news is that they are significanlty cheaper (over $100 CDN bucks less) than the Anakee Adventures.

If you are looking to try something other than Michelins, give them a try.

Currently I have 18K miles on my TMM's. Last year I rode from S FL to the national in MT and this year to the TOR in CO .
My guess I'll safely will get 20K before replacing them. YMMV

Replacement indicator on Adventure tires

I've got Anakee 3's on my F850GS, and its mainly for the street, and I've got the Trail Max Missions on my F850GSA, purchased mainly to go off-road. I agree with bobs 1 that they're great tires. I've only got about 500 miles on the tires. I'm fairly anal about measuring tread depth on my street bike's tires and replace them at 2/32nds " tread depth, usually both tires after one (usually the rear) hits that milestone. Adventure tires generally have much deeper depths to the spaces between tread that is in contact with the road, and I'm guessing that on those type of tires, the depth between sections that meet the road may not be the criteria for replacing. I'm guessing that maybe it is the rounding of the edges of the portions of tread that meet the road (I'm trying to cover the breadth of adventure tires) and also as they wear down. I really don't know. Some of the vids I watch, such as Itchy Boots, replace her tires with good depth still between the portions that meet the road, but seem to have more rounded edges. Does anyone know what criteria those that venture off-road frequently, or have experience in off-road on heavier middle weight and heavy weight dual sports uses? I'm assuming the criteria would be for the off-road riding, not street.

Scotty

Bob,
Thanks for the post. I am looking at $500 for F/R Dunlop TMM for my 2018 GSA. Since I am looking at dirt, unpaved roads, and street, I think this will be the best solution.
Thanks again!
Mike
Current bikes
2018 R1200GSA, 2016 K1600GTE
Previous
2003 K1200LT
1999 Honda Shadow Touring 1100
1991 Metric 650cc

I have had Michelin Adventure and Michelin Anakee Wilds on my 2107 GSA and didn't like either. The Adventures wore really fast (I got about 5,000 miles out of them) and really cupped even before that. The Wilds seem to work ok off road, but frankly were so noisy on road that I took them off after about 1,00 miles.

So, I went looking for somehting to replace them with and decided to try Dunlop TrailMax Missions based on favorable reviews. One reviewer referred to them as 60-60 tires as they seem to excell both on road and off road and they are supposed to last.

Well, after 6,500 miles I can tell you (a) they last - you'd still almost think they were new; and (b) they work extremely well. I've done most of my riding with them on pavement and they are great in the twisties and on super slab - their noise level is lower than the Pilot 4's I had on my RT. I've (unfortunately) also been through a couple of horrible rainstorms with them and they inspired a great deal of confidence and worked very well. I've also done a bunch of dirt roads and really liked them. I've only done a little bit of sand and mud and they are no worse than the Anakee Wilds.

Overall, I am very impressed with them and am recomending them to friends and I will buy them again. The best news is that they are significanlty cheaper (over $100 CDN bucks less) than the Anakee Adventures.

If you are looking to try something other than Michelins, give them a try.

Donlop tmm tires

2021 1250GS , got 7k miles on Michlins ,put Dulops on front and rear hoping for good results . Had to wait for front to be available .Will report back in several thousand miles .

Update

Just put the bike away with around 10,000 miles on the Dunlops. They are showing wear now (looks like about 1/2 the tread depth is gone), but still going strong. I recently managed to try them in some squirrley dirt and sand and they worked very well. I am very much impressed.
:clap:clap

Tire Wear Indicators

So, I've got well over 13,000 miles on the TrailMax Missions now and they seem to still be going strong. I wanted to check their wear but I can't figure out what the tire wear indicator (TWI) feature on the tires looks like.

I've found the little triangle thing on the side wall which points up towards the tread, but when I look across the tire tread at that point, I can't see anything that looks like a wear bar or similar feature. Does anyone know what it looks like on these tires?

I don't know, but a WAG would be that the small supporting bits between the major tread blocks would double as wear indicators...?
trxmission-main.jpg

I ended up replacing one set with 20K miles on them and had mileage left, but the upcoming trip was too long for that. On came a new set which now have 11K on them and a little more then 50% left. I expect the current set to be good for 20K miles.. YMMV

Back