• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Over Fill on last Oil Change

Blueman

2004 1150RT 58,000 miles Spectro 4 20W50 non synthetic

I recently changed the oil and ended up over filling slightly. It calls for 3.75 L and I put in 3.85 to 3.9. The sight glass is completely covered when cold but when the bike is tipped to the right almost to the limit of me holding it up by myself, you can see the line. The first day of a 1200 mile trip last week oil was seeping out of the fill hole at 70mph for 300 miles enough that the wind blast was spraying oil on the left side case. It was less noticeable toward the end of the trip.

Will the situation correct itself with normal oil usage?

Is the overfill significant enough to cause aeration of the oil by the crank?

As always, thanks for your help.

I recently changed the oil and ended up over filling slightly. It calls for 3.75 L and I put in 3.85 to 3.9. The sight glass is completely covered when cold but when the bike is tipped to the right almost to the limit of me holding it up by myself, you can see the line. The first day of a 1200 mile trip last week oil was seeping out of the fill hole at 70mph for 300 miles enough that the wind blast was spraying oil on the left side case. It was less noticeable toward the end of the trip.

Get a CLEAN drain pan. Drain the oil. Put the proper amount back in the bike. Or drain it and replace it.

I read on one of the Similar Threads that maybe you could pull the oil filter and see if the amount of oil that in that would be enough to bring the level down.

Clear plastic tube and siphon it out? An old quart bottle with clear(r) view panel would let you know when to stop.
OM

Just put on a good disposable rubber glove and loosen the drain plug for a moment.

I'd be more concerned about crankcase pressure, forcing the excess out the breather and into the airbox, which can dirty up the air filter. After lowering the oil volume, pull the airbox drain to clear out any excess oil up there. Left side rear on the bottom of the air filter housing, and put either a paper cup or a few rags under it (or on the exhaust) to catch the drips. The drain plug up there is mechanically the same as the oil filler plug, 1/8 turn CCW to release it.

One-tenth of a liter really isn't much... but the requirement is that you don't go over the top of the circle when cold; a little bit down is better.

Same bike here. I typically pour in 3.5 qts after an oil change (oil filter pre-filled too), then top off as needed to get the oil in the middle of the sight glass. 3.9 quarts doesn't sound over-filled to a great degree. Check your o-ring on the filler plug. That may be all that's wrong.

...And/or the O-ring between the plastic insert that the plug goes into and the valve cover.

Big oil pan.
Rubber gloves on hands.
Remove bolt for a second to get a bit out, then stuff it back in.
Measure.
Repeat as needed.

BTDT. Took me about ten minutes to resolve it.

ProTip: oil volume presumes a completely dry crankcase, so don't just add the oil blindly. Add a couple quarts and wait. Add another quart and wait. Then slowly top up. it'll always take less than you thought.

Important: Fill the oil filter first so you don't wind up low after it gets filled, nor does it let your bike run without lubrication.

Are you using Liters measure for capacity and using quarts to change. 3.75L equals 3.95 quarts.

It happens

I opened the last quart of oil poured the last fraction in and than I noticed I had one more quart of oil opened than I was supposed to
I followed Paul’s advice drain oil into clean drain pan ( I use dollar store aluminum turkey pans for oil changes) than poured oil back in until it reached bottom of sight gauge started it shut it off than added oil until it was at the bottom of slight gauge again sometime in the future when all drains down oil level will be around the top of the gauge

When changing oil on my R1100, I only put in 3.25 litres. After returning from the first ride with fresh oil, I check the level and add enough to bring it to the centre line. I believe from bottom to the top of the sight glass is 12 ounces. It seemed that when I put 3.75 litres in, after the first ride, the level in the sight glass was often above the mid point.

Whether or not you overfilled by 5 ounces, that would not cause oil to be "seeping out of the fill hole." Fix the fill cap seal and forget about 5 ounces too much oil.

Thanks for all the great tips and advice. Since I didn't think there was an excess overfill I ordered a new oil fill cap with O-rings. No blow off or seepage from the fill cap after several outings. I will replace the O-rings more regularly in the future.

Back