• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Right of Passage - Again

smswy

It was bound to happen after several decades away from biking and only just completed the 600 miles break-in check. Left to right U-turn going too slow on a very slight down grade. But I am glad it happened as I had just purchased the MotoBikeJack and was able to use it to rachet the bike up enough to finalize the righting by hand/arm/leg. This ratchet jack is a bit on the heavy and big base plate size (6.5 lbs). Alright around town. But I think the Eastbound Moto Winch made from aircraft grade aluminum and weighing in around 4 lbs will be a better option for touring away from the city.

Attachments

• 51CE3162-5FE3-4076-9CAB-F9CE68A22D77.jpg
    51CE3162-5FE3-4076-9CAB-F9CE68A22D77.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 6A9FBB62-B65C-4236-BEF1-10572404D84D.jpg
    6A9FBB62-B65C-4236-BEF1-10572404D84D.jpg
    556.3 KB · Views: 124
I hope you didn't sustain any injuries and any damage was minimal. Those lift devices are quite interesting. Looks like they would work well. Thanks for sharing.

When I did that, I was able to lift the bike up myself but forgot to deploy the side stand first.
That was fun.

Hope you are OK.

You know what I hate about those F bikes?...

... they fall ALL the way over! :ha

Thanks for the heads up on bike lifter-uppers... that big foot looks like it might work even in sand like this. There are a lot of approaches out there.

Punkin_sand-X2.jpg

... they fall ALL the way over! :ha

Thanks for the heads up on bike lifter-uppers... that big foot looks like it might work even in sand like this. There are a lot of approaches out there.

Punkin_sand-X2.jpg

If I were to ever ride in sand like that again, which is truly an unlikely event, I would want to have a crew of at least three companion riders, of stout proportions, who are all half my age.

I hope you didn't sustain any injuries and any damage was minimal. Those lift devices are quite interesting. Looks like they would work well. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I was going very slow, that was the problem. I basically stepped off the bike as it was going over. Scuffed up handguard, crash bar, pegs, that’s all. I am sure there will be more as I continue to ride, but hopefully that will be on dirt and at reasonable slow speeds.

When I did that, I was able to lift the bike up myself but forgot to deploy the side stand first.
That was fun.

Hope you are OK.

Yeah, I’m ok. Only bruised my perception that I tend to be overly careful. I’ll try lifting the ways I have seen on YouTube to see if I can do it. I do have a lower back issue (lumbar sacral strain) from USAF days doing a geodetic survey in Pisa, Italy. So I try to be careful so that does not flame up.

If I were to ever ride in sand like that again, which is truly an unlikely event, I would want to have a crew of at least three companion riders, of stout proportions, who are all half my age.

Your lay down is in nasty sand. During my first couple hundred miles with this bike I was on Wyoming secondary or tertiary county roads which tend to be hard pack dirt with some gravel. The bike came with Bridgestone Battlax A41 tires which are 80/20, road/offroad. I went through some 2” sand covering the road and the bike was weaving. Then I hit a 20-30 yards stretch of 4-6” sand and the bike was all over the place and I went off road, but never dumped it. Scared the you know what out of me. Got to where the road connected back to pavement near Eden/Farson, WY and was not comfortable going back through the sand stretches. But also, had not gained as much experience (again) with highway (to return home to Rock Springs on Hwy 191) where speed limite is 70, but people drive 75, and there is the westerly crossind, heavy at times. Still the sand unnerved me, so I opted for highway, drove 65, fought the wind and let drivers pass.

That stand (MotoBikeJack) would do well in sand given the footprint. But it comes in heavy at 6.5 lbs due to steel contsruction. I have ordered Motowinch from the UK which is aircraft grade aluminum and only weighs about 4 lbs. But the base is small. They do sell a larger disc the place the foot in. There is another motorcycle winch named DirtNapper as well.

Take care, avoid sand, unless you are on a 300 lb dirt bike with knobby tires and lots of HP.

lifting bike back up

Your lay down is in nasty sand. During my first couple hundred miles with this bike I was on Wyoming secondary or tertiary county roads which tend to be hard pack dirt with some gravel. The bike came with Bridgestone Battlax A41 tires which are 80/20, road/offroad. I went through some 2” sand covering the road and the bike was weaving. Then I hit a 20-30 yards stretch of 4-6” sand and the bike was all over the place and I went off road, but never dumped it. Scared the you know what out of me. Got to where the road connected back to pavement near Eden/Farson, WY and was not comfortable going back through the sand stretches. But also, had not gained as much experience (again) with highway (to return home to Rock Springs on Hwy 191) where speed limite is 70, but people drive 75, and there is the westerly crossind, heavy at times. Still the sand unnerved me, so I opted for highway, drove 65, fought the wind and let drivers pass.

That stand (MotoBikeJack) would do well in sand given the footprint. But it comes in heavy at 6.5 lbs due to steel contsruction. I have ordered Motowinch from the UK which is aircraft grade aluminum and only weighs about 4 lbs. But the base is small. They do sell a larger disc the place the foot in. There is another motorcycle winch named DirtNapper as well.

Take care, avoid sand, unless you are on a 300 lb dirt bike with knobby tires and lots of HP.

Being on a 300 pound dirt bike is not the only factor ... you have to be able to LIFT the bike ... or at least the top half.

There was a small statured woman who demonstrated how to lift a motorcycle at the national rallies...I seemed to remember her name as "Skirt". There are plenty of videos on youtube on lifting a motorcycle.

Back