• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS Luggage Options

wayfast

RE: 2007 R-GS
I am planning an extended trip to Alaska for next summer and taking a look at my luggage options. I have the complete set of Vario factory luggage, but I could use more space if I had it. It occurs to me that, since I won't be using the passenger seat, it makes since to remove it and use that space for important stuff like camping gear and extra gas. Does anyone make a rack that uses the same mounts as the pillion seat and is designed to replace it on trips like this? I've made a serious pass at all the usual accessories sources and can't find anything, but I'm sure I'm not the first one to have this idea.

I have the Blackdog pillion plate on my GSA. I fitted it with a Givi tank lock mount and use the mount to hold a Harbor Freight box on the plate. The box provides additional storage space and quick and east to mount/dismount.

C5-FC954-D-60-D1-4-A00-AEAC-4-B53-F81-CE5-D6.jpg

If you have a GSA rear rack the ALT Rider pillion plate will not work. The ALT Rider pillion plate will work with the Vario top case luggage grid.

I have both an Alt Rider and another smaller verion of you'd like pics. FWIW the Alt Rider pillion plate is new never used and I am selling it if you are interested.

Also, FWIW I'd ditch the Vario cases. They are heavy, heavy and the expansion mechanism takes up a lot of space inside the pannier. they also lack a rear cross over to tie the cases together so when fully loaded they sway like a cow's milk bag. Its not uncommon for the plastic mounting hooks/tabs to break because all the swaying is like talking a piece of metal and folding it back and forth until it breaks. I also dislike sideload panniers because every time you open the lid everything falls out.

I have had OEM GSA panniers, TouraTech Zega, Jesse's, Tusk and Vario panniers and in the end the Tusk panniers are some of my favorites. I have them mounted to TouraTech pannier racks on m,y 2007 GS and what I like best beside the low cost is they are equal in size whereas most other panniers have one big and one small to miss the exhaust.

Personally, I'm not a pannier snob and to me they are all nothing but boxes with lids. I have a hard time spending $1500 on a set of Jesse's that do not hold things any better than a $250 set of Tusks.

Thanks for those tips. Would love to know more about that saddle also.

That’s a custom Russell Day Long. I went with the light gray so my buns didn’t get charbroiled from the sun on trips out west. IMO the best touring saddle available, but I find it unsuitable on my two-wheeled GSA (my other bike) as those wings that make it so comfortable on long trips dig painfully into the back of my thighs when standing with my weight slid back on downhills. Of course if you don’t ride dirt that’s not an issue

Search on RDL and you’ll find much praise and a few less happy

Pete

That’s a custom Russell Day Long. I went with the light gray so my buns didn’t get charbroiled from the sun on trips out west. IMO the best touring saddle available, but I find it unsuitable on my two-wheeled GSA (my other bike) as those wings that make it so comfortable on long trips dig painfully into the back of my thighs when standing with my weight slid back on downhills. Of course if you don’t ride dirt that’s not an issue

Search on RDL and you’ll find much praise and a few less happy

Pete

Love the RDL saddles I bought used, but in stop-n-go traffic the wings are a bit annoying. I have to remember to slide well forward to stop and put a foot down or suffer the wings digging into my thighs. Fortunately, I still have the original seat for in-town riding and trips under ~150 miles. Russell does offer a Sport seat with smaller wings that I would probably try if I needed a new seat.

That's What I'm Talkin' About

I have the Blackdog pillion plate on my GSA. I fitted it with a Givi tank lock mount and use the mount to hold a Harbor Freight box on the plate. The box provides additional storage space and quick and east to mount/dismount.

C5-FC954-D-60-D1-4-A00-AEAC-4-B53-F81-CE5-D6.jpg

That is an extremely cool set up. Going to attempt to duplicate as close as possible.

Back