• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R1200GSW Nav. systems

willhawks

2013 R1200GS; has factory mounting plate for GPS. Are there any options other than the factory gps? will pay a fair price but unwilling to sell house, car and children for the factory nav6

I sold my Nav IV after the fourth replacement.

A Zumo XT sits in the stock mount with the above adapter. Don't buy one, I will sell you mine.

I saved all my pennies and bought the TourTech Locking mount for it. It is a pretty hefty price for a holder but it appears to be bullet proof.

I have fat fingers and can not with gloves on hit the off button easily. I can eject it and then turn it off with ease but that does not fit every scenario I run into while on the bike. Other then that is is a great adapter and works very well when you buy the locking feature with the adapter. I did and it is solid as stock.

As to the XT I love it. I do miss the info page off the NAV but I can find what I need or want working through the dash info. The XT is wireless and will check for updates as it shuts down and if your on will update and shutdown.

The display is as good or better then the Nav. I like mine in portrait mode as forward is more important to me the what is on my sides.

All in all I am over the frustration of a Nav IV and enjoy the Zumo XT much more. It is faster and it does have a companion app you can connect with your phone that has all kinds of info like weather and road closings, traffic and a bunch other stuff. I don't fuss with tech too much so I have never connected it and probably never will.

It is a great newer GPS that does not break the bank and seems to be rock solid by all reports and reviews.

So what makes the Nav VI not old tech like the 660 and 665?

Better screen resolution, faster processor, higher SD card storage capacity, and more apps/features like the ability to display data from the bike. Unfortunately, not as reliable as the Garmin 600 series. All are still good and usable options depending upon the type and complexity of intended usage.

Best,
DeVern

The XT is a much better choice than the Nav VI which I also ditched after replacement #4. I did the TT bracket and wired the GPS into the OEM plug that went to the Nav VI. Very easy install and best of all no drama with a faulty GPS anymore... YMMV

The XT is a much better choice than the Nav VI which I also ditched after replacement #4. I did the TT bracket and wired the GPS into the OEM plug that went to the Nav VI. Very easy install and best of all no drama with a faulty GPS anymore... YMMV

Yes Adam Chandler did a nice U Tube video of an install. You buy the BMW repair plug and it goes right into the stock plug for power very easy to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKXjkauYc5Q

Yes that's the way to go IMHO as well. The whole NAV VI was/is a debacle. Fortunately Garmin has been fantastic in making exchanges :clap

Yes it has been. And Garmin is Super about it!

Funny my Nav 5 is bullet proof. I still use it in my car and it is a fine GPS.

They did something bad to the Nav 6 and I had enough for sure. After 4 very nice and hassle free exchanges, enough was enough.

Yes it has been. And Garmin is Super about it!

Funny my Nav 5 is bullet proof. I still use it in my car and it is a fine GPS.

They did something bad to the Nav 6 and I had enough for sure. After 4 very nice and hassle free exchanges, enough was enough.

We aren't the only ones that went the XT way from the threads I read on several other forums. 4 replacements is more than I could deal with as well..

Back