• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best 50/50 tires for F850GSA

smswy

Hi folks, I am new to the site and new to BMW bikes although several decades back I had Honda MCs. I use search engines in other Forums without issue. But seems this one in MOA brings up all sorts of unrelated posts. I typed in 50/50 tires and even just “tires” and I get all sorts of things unrelated to tires. So parden my ignorance if I am searching the wrong way for things already discussed.
My new F 850 GSA came with Bridgestone Battlax ADV A41R tires. I commented to dealer at purchase time they looked like street tires and he claimed 50/50. After looking at a number of reviews and owner YouTube evals it is clear these are more 80/20 road tires. Although I’ve only ridden 520 miles on the bike in last 2 weeks, more than half have been offroad on BLM roads and tracks. Clearly the OEM tires are not ideal for offroad, especially through sand (almost dumped the 540lb MC 3 times in 4-6” sand). Yet I do not want the Bridgestone Battlax ADV AX41 tires as they are more 20/80 and knobby. And advice on good quality 50/50. I saw Dunlap Trailmax Mission adverts. Anybody running these? Thanks, Stephen

If you tried the embedded forum search feature, it doesn't really work that well. Not sure this will be directly related to your bike model, but try the google site search by typing this into the search box:

site:forums.bmwmoa.org 50/50 tires

There seems to be some discussions about "50/50" tires. At least it might shed some light on how various tires worked for others.

My opinion is worth exactly what you pay for it, but after a lot of research, I went with a Dunlop Trailmax Mission for the front tire and a Motoz Tractionator GPS tire for the rear for my run up to Deadhorse, AK from MN. Both had plenty of life left upon returning home. I think both were appropriate for the rough gravel and tar that I experienced on this ride. I did ~400 miles on the Trans Minnesota Adventure Trail last weekend they still performed great.

I've run many 50/50 tires on various bikes. Hands down winners so far are the Dunlop Trailmax Missions I have now. 8200 miles over a ride to Dust to Dawson and then home. The traction was excellent on the pavement (wet and dry) Gravel, dirt in the construction zones, mud in the freshly sprinkled construction zones, and on some slush-covered roads, After 8,200 miles the rear has 50% tread remaining and the front has 66% tread remaining. I've never experienced anything like this on any motorcycle with any tire. I don't think they would work well in heavy mud or deep sand, but not much but a full knobby will. Perfect for what I do, they are now my "Go To".

If you tried the embedded forum search feature, it doesn't really work that well. Not sure this will be directly related to your bike model, but try the google site search by typing this into the search box:

site:forums.bmwmoa.org 50/50 tires

There seems to be some discussions about "50/50" tires. At least it might shed some light on how various tires worked for others.

Thanks.

My opinion is worth exactly what you pay for it, but after a lot of research, I went with a Dunlop Trailmax Mission for the front tire and a Motoz Tractionator GPS tire for the rear for my run up to Deadhorse, AK from MN. Both had plenty of life left upon returning home. I think both were appropriate for the rough gravel and tar that I experienced on this ride. I did ~400 miles on the Trans Minnesota Adventure Trail last weekend they still performed great.

Thanks. I have actually narrowed down tothe Dunlops and Motoz Tractionator GPS. So good to know those work for you. But I had not considered a mixed front and rear.

I've run many 50/50 tires on various bikes. Hands down winners so far are the Dunlop Trailmax Missions I have now. 8200 miles over a ride to Dust to Dawson and then home. The traction was excellent on the pavement (wet and dry) Gravel, dirt in the construction zones, mud in the freshly sprinkled construction zones, and on some slush-covered roads, After 8,200 miles the rear has 50% tread remaining and the front has 66% tread remaining. I've never experienced anything like this on any motorcycle with any tire. I don't think they would work well in heavy mud or deep sand, but not much but a full knobby will. Perfect for what I do, they are now my "Go To".

Yeah, I have read alot of good things about the Dunlops. No way to get them without backorder. Dunlop marketing says that are running 3 shifts 24/7 up in Buffalo, to meet demand. Thanks for your input and recommendation.

Tried a couple different 50/50 on my FxxxGS

I have a 2019 F850GSA that I have run metzeler karoo 3 (original tires), michelin anakee adventure, and my current Mitas E-07. Of the three I like the mitas the best. I ride about 60/40 paved / USFS Dirt roads. On my 2020 F750GS I run the Dunlop Trailmax Mission. I don't have a lot of miles on that bike, but Bill who does, really like them.

Dunlop Trailmax Mission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V67oJOb2ng
Mitas E-07 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kmDIgOt4Zs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnEcI3F_pqE&t=2s

Another great resource for your F850 bike is https://www.850gs.com/

I would add that “U get what U pay for."

Consider these in your shopping quest: >> https://www.heidenautires.com/tires/motorcycle/dual-sport/ < <

We were very pleased with the off-road performance of the K60 Scouts on our “I’ve Been Everywhere” Tour.
They now offer the K76 variety if they suit your goals. The K60s also lasted a Very Long time. :thumb

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —--&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 F650GS-twin - '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
’08 CRF230L —--— ’09 KLX250S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

Hi folks, I am new to the site and new to BMW bikes although several decades back I had Honda MCs. I use search engines in other Forums without issue. But seems this one in MOA brings up all sorts of unrelated posts. I typed in 50/50 tires and even just “tires” and I get all sorts of things unrelated to tires. So parden my ignorance if I am searching the wrong way for things already discussed.
My new F 850 GSA came with Bridgestone Battlax ADV A41R tires. I commented to dealer at purchase time they looked like street tires and he claimed 50/50. After looking at a number of reviews and owner YouTube evals it is clear these are more 80/20 road tires. Although I’ve only ridden 520 miles on the bike in last 2 weeks, more than half have been offroad on BLM roads and tracks. Clearly the OEM tires are not ideal for offroad, especially through sand (almost dumped the 540lb MC 3 times in 4-6” sand). Yet I do not want the Bridgestone Battlax ADV AX41 tires as they are more 20/80 and knobby. And advice on good quality 50/50. I saw Dunlap Trailmax Mission adverts. Anybody running these? Thanks, Stephen

Responding to my own OP. Trailered the F 850 GSA from Rock Springs, WY down to Sandy, Utah to BMW dealer today for the 600 mile break-in service. They had told me through emails that they only had the Bridgestone Adventurecross AX41 in stock and I resigned myself to get those to get away from the Bridgestone Adventure A41 80/20 tires on the MC. Once I checked in with service rep he said he’d check on tire availability. Comes back to me that the AX41 are now out of stock. But he does have the Dunlap Trailmax Mission and asks whether I want those. YEP! Good fortune befell me today!

Back