• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 F 800 GS Fairing removal ? repair manual

Scudrunner

Over the weekend i was on an adventure rally in the Mountains of NC. Had a mishap at the end of the day and broke the bracket that holds the Lights and instrument cluster together. I need to remove the entire fairing to access the broken bracket. Does anyone here know where to start? Looking like the radiator shroud comes off first. Im also trying to get my hands on a maintenance manual for this bike any help is greatly appreciated.

It's a tad bit different than my 2013, but each F-twin style is composed of layers, which starts at the bottom-most panels and works up. I have a bunch of photos I've been meaning to post.

Basically: start with the seat off, then airbox/battery cover (linked to a F-twins thread with pictures), then take off the beak (2 screws on each side, which may or may not be connected to your windscreen), then the top side panel comes off - there will be five or six screws (I keep this panel connected to the crash bars so I don't have to undo the turn signals), then the bottom side panel, there will be several screws on the inside by the radiator that you'll find.

I learned an easier way to remove the body panels. DO NOT remove the screws that attach each side panel to the beak but otherwise follow all the steps in the manual. Both panels and the beak can be removed intact by lifting the panels at the back and moving the whole works forward until it clears the bike. This is how an experienced BMW tech does it.

Bracket for F800

I just went through this. Pulled my panels and had some rash, decided to repaint my bike BMW white. The local independent car dent/paint shop did a great job. Ordered new stickers off Ebay, still awaiting the a sheet of logos that cost $100s from BMW and are $20 but come from Bulgaria of all places. Thank goodness for international commerce.

I'm going to assume from your post you broke this bracket https://www.ebay.com/itm/224362516374?hash=item343d0c4f96:g:-7YAAOSwJiJbH4y7&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4Lwi3VVf%2FqcI7UtZcjFAvkuikUkDrkxxAlCu3wL231YbZxBqcQULx5byiKPku2LqE9ww3npG8iNqDKIy6TPkiJCuCU2zyc3GZJdFV6BPKQxwm5pViOXq0mXYu3Ti5BOpW9safzlMBa7wc%2BuRSQxBwHl59z2qcZeAe%2F8GgGsHs42xJP%2Fw%2BEWQW2g8jn9A%2BEt7HxTTAF6KgLQW7q9eBuvBpC3TX7DGKuUBDbM7sj%2BAClIaWSKzWIR8fpPq0BfFgU%2FyNwXYw35mpWVVzMVBzov8bZgPgLHF3HSBVYZxYwC6f%2FOx%7Ctkp%3ABFBM7vj6h5Vh

This part is $300 from our friends at BMW and the one on Ebay is an exact copy for $70, heck might have come out of the same mold. Anyway, I replaced mine on my F700gs with the Ebay version and it fit just fine. I managed to remove the panels and replace them without too much effort and I'm only mildly mechanically inclined. I searched but couldn't find a manual / you tube video. It was just a matter of trial and error. I suggest you take some pictures with your phone of where the wires run and all the zip ties are found. I cut about 12 off and only used about 6 going back on. Good luck.

Back